???dishwasher haze on glasses | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

???dishwasher haze on glasses

Last post May 10, 2004 1:35 PM by cooking71 . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • ???dishwasher haze on glasses
    Does anyone have a way to get the haze off drinking glasses that comes from the dishwasher? SIL bought some at a rummage sale thinking she was going to get it off with vinegar. She has tried that several times and it is still there. Any suggestions on what works? TIA
    False
  • RE: ???dishwasher haze on glasses
    nope, but if you find one, please post it, I fight it all the time! I try to wash mine in the sink at least every other time, that cuts down on it a little. What about maybe Lime Away?
    False
    It may not be a film from the soap, it's quite possible that it's etched into the glass/plastic and will never come off. If it's plastic, that probably is the case.
    False

You could try CLR...I've used it for a lot of things like tha tand it works pretty well...sometimes...:-)
    False

All of my dishes had a film. I started putting a cup of white vinegar in one of the final dishwasher rinses. After about the third time I started noticing a difference. Actually first couple times I put in 2 cups.
    I never had much luck using vinegar on individual pieces, even heating it & leaving it sit for long periods of time.
    Of course you don't know cause of SIL's new glasses, but I wish her luck.
    Been there done that.

False
    Bratz post is true... most of the hazing on glassware that has been dishwasher washed for awhile will never come off because it's actually etched in... (scratched).

I susupect that if the vinegar didn't remove the haze, then it's not a build up, but etching and you can't 'fix' that.

(Hints By Heloise talked about this in detail but I gave the short version). ;)
    False
    I'm not sure you can get it off of the glasses. I never could, so I gave the glasses to a Church yard sale and bought new ones. Since them I use less Calgon (or whatever) and it doesn't seem to be "hazing" the glasses like before.
    False
    I have well water and get that haze on everything. COuld it possibly be the water/?
    False
    hvac... yes it can be your water - but if it is, a rinse agent in the water or good old vinegar will work to remove it. If it doesn't come off, it's etching - which happens when the glasses bump against each other in the machine.
    False
    We have a water softener and I still get etched glasses.. I've been buying jet-dry in the little baskets. I hang one inside my dish washer that seems to help a lot...
    False
    Sissy6
    We're on well water and we have a water softener as well. And I use Jet Dry in the dishwasher.

We have etching on only some of our glasses. It's the good crystal ones that are etched ... the cheap old ones are fine. I'll be throwing them all out next week when we move and starting fresh.
    False
    To get minerals off you need to softent eh water. Vinegar will do that and you can buy actual water softners.

Of it is etching there is nothing you can do. Buy you can buy a liquid etching at a craft store. then all the glasses will match. Just etch teh outside.

One thign to avoid it in the future. At one point I sold crystal and we told people to never put glass int he dishwasher if you use Cascade powdered. The "sheeting agent" is actually silicone sand. Obviously sand will scratch the glass.
    False