How to I fix too hot chilli? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How to I fix too hot chilli?

Last post Nov 01, 2007 7:25 PM by gr_elo . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • How to I fix too hot chilli?
    My DD (and her bf) made it, and brought me some. She said you might want to be a lot of crackers and cheese in it, it came out very hot.

Well... that's true, even with cheese and crackers. My lips are burning.

I'm thinking I can get something to mix with it, to dilute it somewhat, but what? More tomoatoes (what kind, I've never made chilli from scratch)? More beans? This has varies kinds of beans, tomato sause, chunks of tomato, and Italian sausage (baked and cut up) I have some spaghetti sauce on hand, but I think that might ruin it. Maybe put some water in and simmer it awhile?

She said she just did the sausage part and he made the rest. And it's his personal secret recipe, or something.

She did say all they have is red pepper (cayenne I guess) so that's what makes it so hot.

False
  • RE: How to I fix too hot chilli?
    Maybe that subject didn't come out right, I don't want to "make" it I want to make it LESS HOT.

If I make anything with red pepper in it, I add a little at a time till I make sure it's okay.

I think the bf likes it hot and probably thinks it's fine this way.

False
    Tomato juice would help. You could try water if the chili is thick enough not to end up too soupy.

Drinking milk after eating something that hot will help "cool" the heat.
    False
    I'd through it out.
    False
    Depending on how much you have, I would probably add some water, stir it up and pour off some of the liquid, if necessary, add some beans and if not saucy enough, some sloppy Joe sauce. Of course, the whole dish would change at this point, but if you can't eat it, with it being so hot, you could salvage it. My Mother served chili on top of spaghetti or sometimes Chili-Mac, when we were all at home, by mixing it with mac and cheese. It was always good.
    False
    You could try a can of tomatoes if you have some. Any will do as long as you are not adding the kind especially for chili.If the tomatoes are whole, chop them up a bit. The spaghetti sauce would be ok too, I have recently been adding italian seasonings, italian salad dressing, italian tomatoes and garlic. It is tasty. If you have kidney beans, add a can of that if you think it's still too hot. This should make it more bearable.
    False
    Add some sour cream. The milk fat helps cool it.
    False

Some days, I can literally see the testosterone floating in the air around here. 

This may sound crazy, but add some white sugar! I don't know how much chili you have so I can't give you an estimate, but if it's a mid sized pot start with 1 tablespoon, taste it, add more and taste...til you get it right :) Hope this helps!
    False
    Yep - I was going to say white sugar too. Don't know why it works, it just does.
    False
    Add some grape jelly!!!
    False
    What good ideas!

I just didn't want to do something to totally ruin it.

I've heard of putting a little sugar in spagetti sauce (while making it, homemade)

It is really think, putting water in and pouring it out might work.

Also,I have a bowl of tomatoes from the garden that have been ripening in the house, I could scald them, to get the skin off, boil them and mash them?

I think I have kidney beans (I have cans of stuff that I don't usually use but have on hand for "whatever" (LOL)

I have like a covered cassarole dish (maybe 9" square) of the chilli. They make big pots of it, and everyone has started thinking about it now it's getting cold and bleak out.

Thanks!

I bet there's someone here that knows the answer to just about any question anyone might have.
    False
    It's a no-brainer:
    keep it in the fridgeuntil tomorrow
    In the meantime just cook another batch of beans WSITHOUT seasoning. Then mix the two together and adjust sesoning but NO hot stuff.
    False