Christmas presents for adult married children | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Christmas presents for adult married children

Last post Nov 28, 2007 2:05 PM by GrandmaK_54_Illinois . 21 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 12
  • Christmas presents for adult married children
    Just wanted to know if anyone would share what they do for their adult married children as far as gifts or money and how much for each one. We are in a dilemma about this and thought I would see what others do. Thanks. If we give money everyone gets the same and the same with the gift but it gets hard to balance that off. I would appreciate other ideas on how you all do it. Thanks.
    False
  • RE: Christmas presents for adult married children
    In my family there are 3 of us and we each get $150.
    False
    I don't have adult kids, but I am an adult kid, and my in-laws do different each year. Some years we get $$. When that happens, I get an envelope with the same amount as my DH. When they do gifts, they usually do the same for everyone - one year it was a set of folding chairs. One year when they (and we) were all short of $, they got us a 5 gallon bucket of laundry soap from Sears. With growing kids - that was nice.
    False
    I'm one of 3 adult children in the family. My parents are on a limited income. A few years ago we realized anything we could buy for each other, the other had probably bought on their own ....anything I haven't bought for myself is probably too expensive for my parents.

Last year Mom sent an email that said "Please don't buy us gifts. We are taking the money we would spend on gifts for you and going to away for a few days the week of Christmas."
    Perfect! No stressing out over what to buy or what to suggest as a gift for ourselves.

If one of us finds something we want to get for our parents, we just buy it and give it to them whenever. Sometimes my mother may see a little something she wants to buy for one of us and she gives it to us when she sees us. We don't make a big to do over Christmas gifts. My brother and sister have grown children and now little grandchildren. My parents had rather us buy for our children.

Call us weird if you wish, but it works for us.
    False
    My MIL gives each family a food bag. Usually a ham and cheeses with crackers and fresh fruit. We get her a gift certificate to her favorite restaurant. My mother loves to shop and gets each person a gift and spends around $30 each. Both are fine and if they got us nothing it would be fine as well it is not about the gift it is about the thought and care behind them. All of my siblings and I pay for my mother’s cell phone throughout the year as her gift.
    False
    My parents purchased AAA (Triple A) service for my neice. Something she wouldn't have probably purchased for herself. That might be something you could do.

Also, if they have children and don't make the time to go out very often (just the two of them) then maybe gift certificates to a restaurant with an offer to babysit would be the incentive to spend a little time together.

Stuff for the house that you probably wouldn't get on your own would be good too. How about one of those patio "chiminey's"....the ones that are made out of clay that you can burn wood in. Those are nice.
    False
    I only have one adult child married. I set a dollar amount, and my DD gives me a xmas list for both herself and my DSIL within that dollar amount. I choose something on the list and that is what they get.
    False
    2 adult daughters
    1 soninlaw
    2 grandsons

they all get about the same amount...$60.00

my parents I spend about 40-50 dollars on them each...

husband and I do not exchange gifts as we buy each other stuff all year...and he does not buy for his parents...

it can sure get crazy for those with big families and then the son or daughter-in-laws and the grandkids...I think of my sister...her and her husband have 8 grown kids between them with spouses and grandkids and now a great grandkiddo...
    False

It's not how you start, it's how you end....so end strong!!

Walk yourself strong!!

My mom usually sends me a gift card, usually to Target or Sears for about $50.
    False
    "...good things come to those who wait. True, but unless you're making a souffle or catching the bus, better things come to those who do something."--Amy Alkon demotivational posters
    see more
    My parents always buy us gifts, spending the same amount on each of the 4 of us. My in-laws usually get us something together like a waffle iron or something.
    False
    My in laws give each of their 3 children, dil's or gf.each. The kids get toys that equal $50. When Mil still worked she gave $100 each.
    False
    my mom usually ends up getting us gifts together, or now that we live here she went in on the santa present for her grandkid..which helped out. I dont care if she gets me anything, I just like having people over to my house and having a "party" with family.
    False
    I'm Shelleyj's sister with the 8 grown kids (blended family)6 in-law kids, 11 grandkids (#12 and 13 are baking) and one greatgrandkid. It gets hairy. We spend about 40 bucks on the adults and around 30-40 on the kids. When the grandkids get married or live with someone they become a "unit" and get a combined gift and the greatgrands get about 20 spent on them (they have a grandma too). We do a lot of gift certificates to resturants or magazines. Some grown kids get acutal gifts, but only if they let me know something that they want. My husbands kids are ALL famous for "I don't know" to my questions! So they get gc's.
    False
     Click for Sun City, Arizona Forecast
    As an adult "in-law" I would like to say if you aren't sure, cash is great. I would much rather have my MIL give me cash and say "I didn't know what you needed" than to get things I don't need or can't use.
    False
    I gave up on Christmas years ago. When you don't have extra money (or credit cards) you don't "do" Christmas.
    I've said all along I "do Christmas" all year round (and I do) If I have something someone wants or needs (including money)I give it. If someone wants or needs something I can buy for them, even in July, I do.

Recently I made sheets of name/address labels, with a personal picture on them (like one family's new puppy, another's home- I made it look like a painting)and send them to some of my (adult) kids- with families. Something I enjoy doing, art-printing things.
    I had bought a huge pack of (sheets of) blank address labels one time from an ebay seller, for a low price.

Everyone was so pleased, and says they can use them on Christmas cards they send.

I think of things to do like that all year round. Though I have been trying to keep up with birthdays, sometimes with the Grandkids I will say let me know if there's anything you want, I can get, and I will. Sometimes they do, sometimes another time, sometimes I see something (months later) and get it.

I try and get people things I KNOW they want and can use. Not just "buy something to buy something".

Aside from that, it is NICE to have gifts on the actual day, and if I was rich I'd sure do this. But, giving gifts and helping out shouldn't be just one day a year.

False