Mortgage burning Party | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Mortgage burning Party

Last post Jan 10, 2008 1:25 PM by Limey_SE_Texas . 15 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 12
  • Mortgage burning Party

Is it appropriate to have a mortgage burning party or is that too personal?

False
  • Re: Mortgage burning Party

In these great times of massive foreclosure I would think it to be a fabulous reason to celebrate!

True

Online Community / Field Editor Manager

Feel free to reach out to me anytime!

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sue.stetzel@RD.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

I'd say-Have at it!!!  toni

False
    If the essence of my being has caused a smile to have appeared upon your face or a touch of joy within your heart, then in living I have made my mark.

Heck yes it's appropriate!  A paid off mortgage is definitely something to celebrate.  Our mortgage burning party was bigger than our wedding.

Dave Ramsey (a financial guy on the radio) say

"the paid off home mortgage has taken the place of the BMW as the status symbol of choice"

If you are the one who paid off your mortgage, CONGRATS!!!!

False

DH and I had one when we paid off our mortgage. It was basically a big backyard barbecue with volleyball and other games, lots of food, a toast with champagne and then actually burning the mortgage. I made really creative invitations that looked like a subpeona and we were very explicit about no presents, although we did get a few.

We'd lived in a two-room trailer and saved for years before buying the house and had a large down payment, so we paid it off in under 5 years.We were very proud of this accomplishment and nobody thought it odd or too personal that we had a party to celebrate.

False
    To speak of "mere words" is much like speaking of "mere dynamite." --------French Philosopher CJ Ducasse

Thank You for your responses.  It will definitely be a great feeling and worth a celebration! I love the idea of a Subpeona Invitation!

False

Have the party, just invite really really close friends who will be excited for you!

False
     Click for Sun City, Arizona Forecast

Heck, yeah, it's appropriate! You deserve it. It's  a reason to celebrate. Congrats to you!Drinks

False

Lucky you!

Heck yes I'd have a party!!

False
     Photobucket

I can not think of a more appropriate reason to party or celebrate.   Enjoy!Yes

False

Nature is the 'Great Mysterious' ... the religion before religions. Peter Matthiessen, Indian Country

Heck Yes!!! and make it a big one!!! you should be proud! CELEBRATE!!

when I did mine tho.. I burned a dummy copy because it will be fun to look back many years from now at your original paperwork!!!(I was fortunate enough to pay cash and never really had a mortgage(hey it was over 30 years ago and prices were dirt cheap!)) so I had housewarming/blessing and mortgage burning all in one party!

False

Old age ain't no place for sissies . -Bette Davis-

Gee Wiilikers, YES, it is one of the best reasons to celebrate. Isn't it a gret and wonderful feeling to own your home free and clear? Congratulations. And to think I could have had a BMW or Mercedes instead of a paid for home..............(just kidding, I love my mortgage free humble little home).
    False

I can't think of a better excuse for a party. We had one, but we didn't really have anything to burn, so made up a jolly fat banker man out of blue clay. We passed him around, wishing him all sorts of dire fates while sticking him with toothpicks... it was hilarious, and a great way to release any pent up frustrations too.

False

"Wit is educated insolence." Aristotle

That sounds like a grand idea! I wish we had thought of that when DH and his brother had paid off the farm together.

False

catmint

I am planning my mortgage burning party for the end of this month, just for a small group of my close friends.  I get to retire the monthly routine of paying mortgage 26.5 years early!  

Not only is It something to be celebrated, it is a nice excuse to gather for good food, good wine and good talk. I appreciate the notes and ideas submitted by others on this conversation.

False