High humidity , low humidity crisper fridge drawers..... what goes in which..... HELP! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

High humidity , low humidity crisper fridge drawers..... what goes in which..... HELP!

Last post May 19, 2004 8:58 AM by Jello_Can . 3 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
  • High humidity , low humidity crisper fridge drawers..... what goes in which..... HELP!
    I've finally cleaned out my fridge. When we moved into the house , my Dh got a cleaning lady to do it. I've just done it myself today and I always ask myself the same question. WHat to do you put in the drawers that have a humditidy control. I have 2 drawers in my fridge with each their own humidity control. Often my fruits or vegatable will spoil or be forgotten in the fridge. Can anyone help demistify this. I am trying not to call my Mom (long distance) to get the answer. She knows everything. What goes in a high humidity compared to what goes in the low humidity. Thank you for all you answers. I have got everything out on the counter right now. Not many vegetable today since I have to do the gorceries.
    J.
    False
  • RE: High humidity , low humidity crisper fridge drawers..... what goes in which..... HELP!
    False
    Photobucket
  • RE: High humidity , low humidity crisper fridge drawers..... what goes in which..... HELP!
    Hi!
    I looked around on the Internet and this is what I found. As a general rule, vegetables need high humidity and most fruits require low humidity.

The exception to the rule is cucumbers, tomatoes, eggplant, peppers and summer squash. These vegetables like to be cool (not cold) and kept dry. That's not to say you can't refrigerate them, but just don't expect them to stay fresh (without pitting and/or moist spots) for more than three or four days.

Here's a Web site I found helpful. It's got all kinds of information about storing vegetables:

www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/DG1424.html

Hope this helps!
    False
    Merci, Merci, Merci. I'll look into it. J.
    False