Where does canned tuna usually come from? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Where does canned tuna usually come from?

Last post May 26, 2013 3:36 PM by Roma_ . 18 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 12
  • Where does canned tuna usually come from?

My DD did some shopping for me, and bought tuna (I had on the list)- a 4 pack, wrapped up together in plasic. Probably on sale. It says EMPIRE brand. I noticed it says "contains Tuna" (LOL) and "product of Thailand".

Something about this, I automatically don't like or trust. Does it have the same standards the USA migh have in the canning and processing of it?

I usually stick to the name brands, like BumbleBee, Chicken of the Sea. Now I'm wondering what that comes from, and I don't have any cans to look.

False
  • Re: Where does canned tuna usually come from?

My Can of BumbleBee has CA on it
    False

just checked my cans.....Bumble Bee and it comes from San Diego, Ca....from their canning plant...

did you daughter go to a 99cents type store???? they sell alot of foods from other countries.....and I don't know about the rules and regs in those countries for canning foods....

False

It's not how you start, it's how you end....so end strong!!

Walk yourself strong!!

This reminds me when Jessica Simpson thought that Chicken Of The Sea came from chickens..  This came out about 3 or 4 yrs. ago.  I thought that was funny and sad..

False

She went to one of the local Supermarkets (local, not a big chain) but they have various generic brands including their store brand (on a lesser known one  BEST or something)

For some reason I don't like the idea of tuna from Thailand. Though I wonder if some might come from Japan? Maybe I'm thinking of sardines, I haven't had since I was a kid.

Maybe all the fuss about things from China and contaiminated pet food, etc I now notice things I might not otherwise.

I'd much rather get something from CA  (or Canada, if it might mean that, too)  

False

When my husband was little, his mom was the secretary to the head of the tuna packing plant in San Diego.  To this day, tuna is the only fish he really likes. 

False

So what?  Big deal.
    --Closing lines of Buckaroo Banzai Beyond the 8th Dimension, AND of my childhood mix tapes.

I thought that was funny, too with Jessica Simpson and the tuna. I wonder if she was playing dumb to be funny?

Even if she wasn't, she's young (and maybe never did much of her own shopping and cooking) and comes from Texas. Do they have all the brands everywhere? Maybe her family had always bought another brand.

She did/does play up the dumb act, with the Pizza Hut buffalo wings and then around Christmas the MACY's commercials with all the stars and their products.

What I can't buy is in her bio (I've seen on TV shows) it says how she started out as a gospel singer but nobody took her seriously, because of her "looks" (and the size of her bust). But, when it showed her, she'd have on tight sweaters and revealing clothes!

There's also those TV gospel shows, with the lady with the piled up blonde hair and all the makeup.

False

I think you might be right to be concerned about tuna from Thailand.  I think that it is tuna and other fish from overseas locations that have more mercury and heavy metals in them???  I think the restrictions are as stringent as the US??  I could be wrong, but I think that is the case....

False

We use the Starkist chunk light tuna in the foil packet,   you dont have to drain it.    It says its from Pittsburgh, PA.    I dont think I would eat tuna from Thailand either.

False

Your Tuna from Pittsburg is mnost luiely from a foreign country and just the distributor is in Pittsburg.

We have the same problem here in ND with store brands. It says on theccan: distributed by Nash Food Co in Minneapolis but you can bet your sweet bippy it wasn't grown or canbned in Minnesota.

The tuna from Tailand is a somewhat  inferior species  of tuna called "Tongal" tuna (or something very close to that word). I think that is the only tuna you can get where some of it is canned without salt, m many healthfood stores carry it or can order it for you. I tried it once and it is no worse than the cheapest US tuna that is not in chunks but "crushed" (can't remember the right word). I like the chunk white Albacore but can't afford it and don't buy much tuna because it is so salty.

False

Most of the canned tuna comes from Thailand, plus a few other places.  America only has a very few, very small fishing companies, and you won't find their products in any of the big-box or low-cost stores.  ALL of the name-brand tuna (Chicken/Sea, Bumblebee, etc) comes from foreign waters, caught by foreign ships, and processed by foreign processors.  Most are both caught and processed on the same ship, far at sea.  Then they are delivered to San Diego, CA (or wherever) and the labels applied say "DISTRIBUTED by Xxxxxxx Co. in San Diego.

When you're reading the labels on anything, be sure to differentiate between "GROWN/PRODUCED" in the U.S (or specific state), and "DISTRIBUTED" by a certain company in a certain state.  Many well-known American food companies buy food that is grown and/or processed in other countries. 

And if you look at the bar code for ID, the first three numbers of that code only indicate what country that code was ASSIGNED TO, not where the food comes from.  If Wal-Mart owns a food-production plant in China, but the food is grown and processed in China, then shipped here for distribution, the code will be American, because it was assigned to Wal-Mart, an American company.

Also, food sources change, so if it was grown in California last year, it may be grown in the Philippines this year.

False

Trainchaser, now that is a name we have not heard(or seen) here before.Welcome to KC, waving at you from the "Hinterland" of s.w.North Dakota

I am just curious why 90% of all newcomers to this board start by bumping posts that are 3-4 yrs old and older?

Although I don't have many posts under my name it is not because I am fairly new but because I have had PC troubles several times and had to come back under a new identity. Have been here for 10-11 yrs and have observed that most newcomers always pick and answer an old post as their first one and just wonder why?

BTW, is Trainchaser a male or female?(again, plain old curiousity)

False

Grelo, I'm sure a lot of the newbies that are bumping years-old threads are doing it because they did a search on a particular subject, and the one from KC popped up. They probably don't even realize that it's an old one.

False

This post had me going to my pantry and checking out the can of tuna in there. It is the Walmart brand but does not tell me anything other than it is distributed by Walmart and that the fish is wild caught and may have bones Surprise

Not sure what to think about that.

False

Well, when a mommy and daddy can of tuna love each other very much they get out the can opener and that's where baby cans of tuna come from!

False

I'm not psycho.....I just like psychotic things.

Adria's World