Funeral Dinners? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Funeral Dinners?

Last post Mar 03, 2008 11:23 AM by Cittie . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • Funeral Dinners?

I'm making a salad for a funeral dinner tomorrow. This got me thinking, what kinds of salads do you make for funeral dinners? Our church calls for desserts and salads but by the time they get to my name all thats needed are salads.  They request a salad that would be 12 to 15 servings. So the only salad I can come up that would feed that many would be the macaroni salad with green pepper, onion, shredded carrots and a dressing made with sweetened condensed milk. The other thing is I'm using Rotini macaroni which used to be in 16 oz bags now I see its only 12 oz. Sneaky! Anyone else notice this?

False
  • Re: Funeral Dinners?

You could make cole slaw - I make the recipe with ramen noodles and it makes a big bowl.  You can also make a layered salad with greens, cheese, peas and whatever else like a seven layer salad.  I don't have that recipe but I'm sure it's been posted here. 

There are also lots of jello salads that are good.

Not really a salad but deviled eggs are always good.  I have no idea of what category they would fit in!

Really nice of you to do this!  No matter what you make I'm sure the family will appreciate it.

False

7-Layer salad would be good.

False

Pasta salads are good, vinaigrette based so when they sit out they don't rot, LOL.

Yes, I've noticed some size changes.  The biggest one I noticed, and they did it awhile ago was ice cream.  No longer a half gallon size.  Instead of raising prices they just dropped the container size by 8oz.  The average consumer doesn't pay attention.  I'm sure other things have changed sizes too.  We just haven't noticed.

False

Community Manager

Taste of Home Magazine

Feel free to contact me if you have questions or concerns with the Taste of Home website or community.

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sstetzel.toh@gmail.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

I just made this for after a funeral last week - no real recipe, I just wing it!

Mixed greens, dried cranberries, pecans, feta cheese - this time I used Ken's Asian ginger dressing, but I also like Raspberry vinegrette

This was very well received and several people commented on how good it was.

False

We have served 2 funeral dinners at our church this past week.  Wed. we served about 80 & Sat. we served 125+.   One of the salads brought was the Marinated Dilled Vegetable Salad that Summer 74 posted the recipe for.  Other salads were layered lettuce, coleslaw, potato salad, pasta salad, cottage cheese, deviled eggs, carrot salad, apple salad, spinach salad and lettuce/cauliflower salad.

I'm sure anything you fix will be appreciated.   

False

This is a delicious salad that is well liked by most everyone and feeds quite a few people.  The only time I get to eat it is when I take it to a pot luck.  There is no way that just DH and I can eat this much salad 

Spinach Salad

Dressing:

1 cup cooking oil                       

cup sugar                              

¼ cup vinegar

1 tsp salt

1 tsp liquid smoke

1/3 cup catsup

Mix all ingredients in a jar with a tight fitting lid.

Shake well and store in refrigerator until serving time.

Salad:

1 can (8 oz) sliced water chestnuts, drained             

2 eggs, hard boiled and chopped                             

1 pkg (16oz) spinach, cleaned

1 bunch green onions, chopped

1 can (16 oz) bean sprouts, drained well

1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms

½ lb bacon, diced and cooked til crispy

1 or 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Toss first 6 ingredients in a large bowl. When ready to serve add bacon and shredded cheese; pour dressing over all and toss to coat.

False

This is different & very good~!

CORNBREAD SALAD

Serves: 8-10
    Effort: Easy
    Source: LaDonna……..CandyKisses
    Comments: Good served cold letting set overnight to blend. Excellent way to use up leftover cornbread!! Individual servings are pretty served on leaf lettuce.

Ingredients:
    1 large pan or (iron skillet) of cooked cornbread...crumble
    (I use 2 pkgs. of Mexican cornbread
    mix.)
    1 bunch green onion or 1 small purple
    onion, diced
    1 green bell pepper, diced
    1 lb. bacon...fry, drain well, crumble
    1 pt. Hellmann's Real Mayo (adjust
    quantity to your liking)
    Salt...optional
    1 large diced tomato
    shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:
    Bake cornbread...fry bacon.
    Crumble both and mix with chopped onion, bell pepper, mayonnaise, and salt. Lightly toss with diced tomato and sprinkle cheese on top...can be served immediately.

To serve cold:
    Mix first 6 ingredients and chill overnight. Wait until just before serving and toss with fresh tomato and sprinkle cheese on top before serving.

False