Anyone joined a Spatula Ministries? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Anyone joined a Spatula Ministries?

Last post May 21, 2008 8:10 AM by jesterdb . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • Anyone joined a Spatula Ministries?

Thank you for your responses. I am thinking of starting one.

False
  • Re: Anyone joined a Spatula Ministries?

What is one?  Never heard of it before.

False

Founded by Barbara Johnson who are parents of gay or lesbian children.

False

I have never heard of Spatula Ministries but I have heard of PFLAG which is Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays.  It is a wonderful organization for all people including straight allies, and GLBT (Gay, Lesbian, Bi-Sexual and Transgendered) people too.  You can check out their web-site at www.pflag.org  There are PFLAG chapters all over the United States and also internationally.

Does Spatula Ministries have a web site? 

False

♀♀ = Love

♂♂ = Love

♀♂ = Love

A strong man stands up for himself, a stronger man stands up for others. -the movie Barnyard

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived!

Click for Milwaukee, Wisconsin Forecast

Thank you! I'll check it out.

Yes, they do have a website: 

www.barbaraspatulajohnson.com

False

Lvs2cook

Yes, they do have a website: 

www.barbaraspatulajohnson.com

Thank you, I will check this one out also.

False

♀♀ = Love

♂♂ = Love

♀♂ = Love

A strong man stands up for himself, a stronger man stands up for others. -the movie Barnyard

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived!

Hi Lvs2cook --

I did check out the Spatula Ministries website.  I would proceed with caution.  The message is to love your child but also that being gay is a sin -- hate the sin, love the sinner.  Not a good message at all.  That is probably why Barbara Johnson's son disowned his family for 11 years -- including changing his name. 

They mention sexual REorientation alot.  A GLBT person cannot change their orientation to straight any more than you can change your orientation to GLBT.   It just cannot be done unless the person is living a lie, which creates even more inner turmoil.

However, I do not believe that being Gay, Lesbian, Bi or Trans is a sin, nor does my religion. 

PFLAG offers the support and education that a parent needs to understand what their child is going through.  I would encourage you to find a chapter in or near your city (there is a chapter locator on the WWW.pflag.org site) and attend a few meetings.  They can help you to understand that religion has absolutely nothing to do with a person's orientation.  Because your son was raised in a Cristian home does not have anything to do with his being gay or not being gay.  It would be a good idea to go to some meeetings, meet other parents, and get involved. 

False

♀♀ = Love

♂♂ = Love

♀♂ = Love

Thank you! I will go the website you mentioned and start attending the meetings!

Thanks a million! 

False

Description - THE BARBARA JOHNSON FOUNDATION, INC.

Formerly "Spatula Ministries"  Sponsoring the Spatula Ministries Yahoo Discussion Group

"Pain is inevitable, but misery is optional." Barbara Johnson didn't mince words. Not in her humorous self-help books, which sold millions of copies, or in her hundreds of public appearances. She believed God knows best, that love conquers all and everyone is worthy of being loved deeply. After learning of her son's sexual preferences,She fell into a state of depression and contemplated suicide. It caused a seven-year estrangement between mother and son, and prompted Barbara to do a great deal of soul-searching and write her first book, "Where Does a Mother Go to Resign?", which sold a million copies. Her next book, "Stick a Geranium in Your Hat and Be Happy," sold 5 million copies. Her books hit the Christian best-seller lists and are now printed in 32 languages, in Braille and in large print. Barbara began a ministry to help other parents of gay children. In 1978, she started Spatula Ministries for "parents who had hit the ceiling" when they heard the word "homosexual" and needed to be scraped off with a "spatula of love." She advised mothers to "put a sock in your mouth" if they were shocked to learn they had a gay child. "It's your job to love them." Barbara went on to write a dozen other books laced with humor, faith and positive thinking, with titles such as "Splashes of Joy in the Cesspools of Life" and "I'm So Glad You Told Me What I Didn't Want To Hear!". She became a popular speaker at Women of Faith Christian conferences around the country. Before her death in July, 2007, her son, David, established "The Barbara Johnson Foundation" to continue her ministry helping parents restore their relationship with their children. "I see myself as a cross between Erma Bombeck and Billy Graham," she said in a 1996 Orange County Register article. "I want to drain the pain of hurting people with some humor and laughter, and encourage as many people as I can". (WWW.BarbaraSpatulaJohnson.com)

Come Join us and be a part of the Encouragement Project!

David Johnson, Executive Director
    The Barbara Johnson Foundation, Inc.

False