Joanne "Hannah Swenson" Fluke Fans | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Joanne "Hannah Swenson" Fluke Fans

Last post Nov 11, 2010 8:52 PM by carmtin . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • Joanne "Hannah Swenson" Fluke Fans

Have any of you tried any of her cookie recipes? I'm almost afraid to try since Butter is the fat used in them, and I've never seen a cookie recipe that starts with the butter melted first. I don't know what a difference this makes in the cookies. Has anyone tried both methods with one of her recipes. by this I mean following the recipe as written, and by using the creaming method. I might try this next week. What recipe should I try? any suggestions? I need to know by tuesday.

False
  • Re: Joanne "Hannah Swenson" Fluke Fans

I'm reading my first Joanne Fluke book, and noticed that melted butter.

I've never had much success with melting any combinations of the fats in cookie dough before, other than in a good chewy blondie, which I have yet to find the right kind of recipe for. Anytime I've seen a recipe that says to melt the butter, I'll cream it lots, at room temp, to make it fluffy...that's the purpose of creaming it.....melting it, I'd THINK, would make it a heavy dough and a less than light cookie.

Or not..JMHO

ViolaB 

False

I'm interested in this too!  I've read 4 of her books but haven't tried any of the recipes just because I've never heard of melting the butter first in a cookie recipe!  Let me know if you decide to try one and how it turns out!  Smile

False

I have several of her books to read but haven't started them, yet. I just recently read several of Diane Mott Davidson's Goldy Bear, the caterer, books and made one of her recipes this past week for a luncheon I attended. I made her Lethal Layers recipe from the book, Dying for Chocolate, and - talk about a WOW dessert. The ladies couldn't get enough of them. They were fabulous! Similar to Joanne Fluke's books, Diane Mott Davidson's books all have recipes in them. Here is the recipe:

Goldy Bear's Lethal Layers 

1/2 cup  unsalted butter

1/2 cup  dark brown sugar

1    cup  all-purpose flour

1    cup  pecan halves -- (1 to 2 cups – I used 1 heaping cup)

2    eggs

1    cup  firmly packed dark brown sugar

1    teaspoon  vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon  salt

1    teaspoon  baking powder

additional flour (see below)

1    cup  chocolate chips (I used mini chocolate chips)

Preheat oven to 375.

In a food processor, combine the first three ingredients with a metal blade until coarse crumbs are formed. (can also be done with 2 knives or a pastry cutter).

Pat as a crust into a buttered 9x13 pan.  Bake for 10 minutes, then cool completely.

Spread whole pecans over cooled crust. Beat eggs with brown sugar until thick. Add vanilla.

Put salt and baking power in the bottom of a 1/4 cup measure, then fill the rest of the measure with flour. Stir this into egg mixture. Pour this mixture over the pecans and crust. Sprinkle chips over the mixture.

Bake at 375 for 20 minutes or until center is set.

Let cool before cutting.

Makes about 30 small squares.

From Diane Mott Davidson’s book, Dying for Chocolate.

False

Land of the Free....because of the Brave Click for Fort Worth, Texas Forecast

Proud Field Editor for Taste of Home for 16 years.

Oh gosh where do I start? I've spent a fortune on baking supplies trying these recipes and I haven't been particularly pleased with the results.

First Diane Mott Davidson.

The character is a caterer so her recipes run the full spectrum from Appetizers through Desserts and everything in between. (  http://homepage.mac.com/ezzellk/Recipes/davidson/ )

Several look like something I might try, but most of them have ingredients that aren't staples in my house and buying them for 1 recipe isn't worth it, or have ingredients that dh wouldn't even consider eating. I did make the Babsie's Tarts and sent them to work with dh and the vultures enjoyed them but I didn't care for the dough.  It's made with almonds and lemon zest which is an awesome combination with the raspberry jam filling but she ruins it by adding ground cloves and cinnamon. The cloves overpowered everything so I'd leave them out the next time and I'd either decrease or omit the cinnamon completely for the same reason.

Joanne Fluke  

I have every Hannah Swensen book except Carrot Cake Murder. I'm waiting for it to come out in paperback. Everytime I read a book I found something I wanted or had to try. Since every recipe uses almost a full pound of butter, I kept the local dairy in butter production for weeks. I didn't start the series in order, but eventually got all the books and then started reading from the first one, by that time, I'd already tried a couple recipes with some disappointment but was willing to keep trying.  

Blueberry Muffin Murder:

Blueberry Muffins: They were nice and moist but I kept waiting for that burst of blueberry flavor and never got it (even though I waited until the next day to eat them, as suggested in the recipe). Possibly because I used frozen blueberries (acceptable according to the recipe) which were bigger than what I thought should be used. That probably resulted in fewer berries per muffin so you didn't get a berry with every bite. On the other hand, the blueberry pie filling used should have contributed something other than making the muffins an ugly blue color. It didn't.

The Short Stack Cookies really pisssed me off. Touted by the author as tasting like a short stack of pancakes smothered in butter and syrup, they were too tempting to resist. I made a point of buying a bottle of real maple syrup just for these cookies. I baked 6 test cookies and all I got was a soft, chewy, buttery almost to the point of being greasy cookie. Stuck the dough in the fridge and bought a bottle of maple flavoring. Added a tablespoon to the remaining dough and tried again. All I got was a darker colored cookie. Rolling them in maple sugar instead of the granulated sugar called for might have helped but maple sugar isn't available in my area. I know. I wasted several gallons of gas looking for it. Oddly enough, they were still quite good and I found myself nibbling on them more than I needed to. I finally sent them to work with dh several days later and they were still soft and chewy. All that melted butter no doubt.

Sugar Cookie Murder

Christmas Sugar Cookies - Nothing Special

Cherry Bomb Cookies - Another disappointment, though again, the vultures liked them. Granted I don't like marachino cherries but I thought the idea of cookie dough wrapped around a stemmed cherry and dipped in powdered sugar was cute. It might work with a different dough. This dough is just a basic sugar cookie dough, but there's so much butter in it, (or maybe it's the melted butter that ruined it) the dough spreads out and instead of getting a cute round cookie with a "fuse" sticking out of it, you get a flat cookie with a blob in the middle.

Key Lime Pie Murder

Cappucino Royals (a coffee flavored chocolate chip cookie) -  Now this cookie I liked! In fact I sent them in with dh because I couldn't keep my hands out of them. I will be making these again. Soon.

I have the ingredients for a couple more recipes that I want to try when I get time. Today unfortunately my baking has already been decided. I'm making cannolis, baklava and apple strudle for goodie trays, and if I don't collapse from exhaustion, there's a chocolate oatmeal cookie recipe hanging on my cupboard door waiting for my attention.

False

Debbie, I knew there was an answer to this!  On the Food Network web site, under Alton Brown, he did an episode where he made chocolate chip cookies 3 ways - chewy, thin, and puffy.  The thin ones used the creaming method for butter, the puffy ones called for butter-flavored shortening, and the chewy ones - TA DA! - called for melting the butter!  (and chilling the dough before baking)

Some day I will figure out how to paste a hot link but in the meantime here's the link which you can copy and paste into your brower:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_13615,00.html

False

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin

I too am very familiar with the Goldie Books. In fact that recipe was one I had written down to try. Dying for Chocolate was the first one I read. It was so hard to find her books here in the east. I found some in bookstore, and in a book club. Then I discovered Joanne fluke. I'm caught up with both books sort of.

False

Footsie, thanks for the link to Diane Mott Davidson's recipes. I googled some of them but this is great having them all together.      MarineMom

False

Land of the Free....because of the Brave Click for Fort Worth, Texas Forecast

Proud Field Editor for Taste of Home for 16 years.

I have that recipe for Alton Brown's Chocolate Chip Crispie Cookies. Which was a recipe I was going to try to compare with the Chocolate Chip Crunchies. I guess for now I'll use the AB recipe. I so hoped that all those crisp cookies would work. Maybe if I make some of the changes AB made some of those crisp cookies would work out. There is a cookie I would love to try to recreate as they are expencive. I think it is the Bourdeux sp Cookie It is so thin and crisp and I'm pretty sure that it has finely ground nuts in them.

False

Debbie_BayVillage

The thin ones used the creaming method for butter, the puffy ones called for butter-flavored shortening, and the chewy ones -

AHA, the answer...thank you Debbie...now I know why I wouldn't make cookies with melted butter...I don't like chewy cookies and I never have.  (That, and paying $4 a pound for butter is just not on for me)

HMM, does that mean that if I used one of her recipes, but creamed the butter, or used shortening, the results would be crispy or puffy respectively?...hmmmm 

ViolaB 

False

I know this is late, but I baked the chocolate covered cherry delights, (from "Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder) and they were indeed delightful.  Followed the recipe exactly, (called for melted butter) except I think my dough balls were a little too big.  How big is a walnut, anyway?  Didn't have one to compare... so I ended up with too many leftover cherries and cookies that were a little too big.  Still delicious, though.

I cut the recipe in half, as I did not need to make 5 or 6 dozen cookies...

False

Made her Black & Whites for Christmas one year & now make them every year.  Everyone loves them

False

Hi! I have tried her Cinnamon Crisp cookies from the Lemon Meringue Pie Murder. I made them into Cinnamon Chews becuase I like soft cookies. They are GREAT. Everyone loves them. I am reading Key lime Pie Murder now andam about to make the Swedish Oatmeal.

False

I've tried it both ways. When it melted, the dough is very soft and I've had to add more flour to it.

When I creamed it, the dough was still soft, but not super soft.

False