DO YOU LIVE IN MI, GET SSI & FOOD STAMPS | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

DO YOU LIVE IN MI, GET SSI & FOOD STAMPS

Last post Apr 19, 2008 4:01 PM by cooking71 . 26 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 12
  • DO YOU LIVE IN MI, GET SSI & FOOD STAMPS

I get $637 a month and about $8 dollars a month in food stamps.

Is that about what you are getting?

Just curious as I think I should be gertting more.

Not greedy, just hungry. 

False
  • Re: DO YOU LIVE IN MI, GET SSI & FOOD STAMPS

Lightening,

hope you don't mind if I ask if you live in your own home or in sunsidized housing. It has to be one of the two because you sure could not afford to pay full price  rent  plus  live on that.

Are you disabled?

If you are able bodied maybe you can pick up a few dollars here and there by "baby sitting" older folks or doing errands for them, watching someone elses' child for a few hours or even do some house cleaning for cash. What did you used to do when you did work? Can you go to a food bank?

I am not much better off than you, I get $813.00 p mo  SS and am still in my own home. I do get some help with heating assistance but have the expense of property taxes (got a good break this year) electricity,water,  insurance on an old truck , home maintaince, snow removal in the winter, pay for garbage, phone, tv and internet so there isn't much left, I squeeze out enough to pay some home owners insurance but no  replacement value on the house, only contents and liabilty, if the roof blows offor it burns down , too bad , but it's a chance I take.

I am lucky I live in a very small town so transportation is not that much of a problem, nothing is very far away. If I were younger I would look for a part time job but at almost 81 I have a few physical limitations.(One of them is advanced macular degenration)

Life isn't always fair.

BTW. My husband was born and raised in MI ( Mt Clemets)

I don't think your SSI has anything to do with what state you live in and neiter do food stamps because both are federal programs..

I know someone who takes care of a partially  paralyzed  stroke victim in his own home. She has room and board and the state pays her $25.00 p day to take care of the man and his house. She is not quite old enough for SS and that money is her  income. The only thing is she is on that job just about 24/7 with a few exceptions when a relatuive watches  the man for a few hours and in the mornings she has a few hours because he sleeps late.

If you want to talk  you can e-mail me at  betzdorf@gmail.com

False

I live in Michigan. My ex-husband and his wife both receive Social Security Disability and they both receive food stamps. They are living in their own home but it is not paid for yet. Their combined income is just about $1500 and the food stamps are about $150 a month between the two of them. They have a very old vehicle and don't carry much insurance on it and they both have medication needs but there is a doctor that comes right to the house to see each of them.  You may need to talk with somebody about your financial problems. Somebody from the state or county that you live in. There are food pantries if you are hungry and there is help available for utility bills. Don't give up. Keep calling around until somebody can help.  Beverly

False

My brother is on SSD,he makes,I believe,638 a month,he gets 40.00 a month Food stamps.  Grelo,you mentioned working some to get extra money,but my brother was told if he worked,doing anything,even babysitting,he would loose his SSD. 

Anyhow,when he goes every 6 months for Food stamps renewal,he takes all receipts from meds he has to buy,even if it's just a 3.oo copay.  They allow him to use that,so that helps him.  He also uses LifeLine for his phone.  Check and see if your phone company has that,if you haven't already.  Using that,his phone bill is 9.00 a month.  Also,the last Thursday of the month,Community Action has a thing where they give you a big box of food.  Most places have CA..see if your place does.

Best of luck!!

False

A person on disability can earn some money without impacting their disability check.

Talk to your food stamp case worker. Find out if there is help you can get with utilities. If you don't have access to grocery stores like Aldi's or warehouse clubs then check out www.angelfoodministries.org

False

I lived in Michigan until about 2 years ago.  I was co-founder of an organization that helped people like you.  We had a food pantry that people could use once a month, plus helped with utilities, rent, etc. when necessary.  There were also other food pantries in town, plus churches that also helped with utilities, plus Salvation Army (yes, I know that's a church) had a food pantry and financial assistance and another organization that had financial assistance.  Many towns have food pantries available and many churches will help out on an occasional basis. 

I get annoyed when I hear of people with your income receiving about $10 in food stamps.  I think it costs them more than that to process it.  I don't know how they figure the amount.  Working at the organization, we encountered many people who were getting by on $600 a month, unless they had a medical problem, or a car problem, or something extra.  Then it blew everything.  I know it's not easy for you. 

I'm living in Tennessee now and volunteer at an agency similar to the one in Michigan.  Not as much is available in this town, but there still are resources.  Start searching to see what might be available to you in your town.

False

You're receiving the maximum payment according to the 2008 federal benefit amount.  A small handful of states supplement that payment to make it larger for their residents.  MI is not one of those states.  You should talk to someone about your food stamps, maybe you could get them raised.  Also check out food pantries & such.  You might want to also check with your local employment & training office, perhaps they can help you find a job you could do within the limits of your disability.  Even a fulltime minimum wage job would yield you more money per month then your disability.

True

Online Community / Field Editor Manager

Feel free to reach out to me anytime!

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sue.stetzel@RD.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

treehuggin
    A person on disability can earn some

I'm really not surprised you said that.  I kinda had the feeling my DB was just saying that.

Doesn't make sense though.  A person is on SSD because they claim they can't work.  So if that's the case,then why do they allow someone to draw that,then say,well you can work and earn such and such amount.

Does anyone know how much someone can earn and still draw SSD?

False

Some disabled people can't work 40 hours a week on a regular basis but maybe they can work 4 hour days or 1 day a week or such. I know a man who is on disability but is able to sometimes do substitute teaching.

False

Folks, she is NOT on DISABILITY but on SSI, that is SUPPLEMENTAL INCOME.

In the 80s I knew someone on it and they told me they would have to pay it back if and when they receiced SS or went back to work.

There is a big difference between disability and supplemental and I don't know all the details.

If not disabled one can always pick up a few dollars under the table. Some  people here do and nobody snitches on them because times are hard.

I ooked at Lightnings old posts (almost exclusively in Recipes) and she never mentioned anything about being disabled or having hard times. Maybe she lost a job and does not yet quaklify for unemloyment or it isexpired, she may even be waiting to get SS.

She doesn't give us any information to really base our answers on, it would help if she would.

False

False

You're right that SSI is not the same as Disability, but it is for disabled people.  Disability insurance payments are meant for short-term disability, such as a non-work related injury or illness.  It will only pay for 26 weeks.  SSI is for people who cannot work because of age (65 or older), Blind or disabled. 

True

Online Community / Field Editor Manager

Feel free to reach out to me anytime!

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sue.stetzel@RD.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

Then how come there are people who are on disability for YEARS????  Some of them around here work aon the side and aren't all that disabled; at least not noticable because some are pretty active and  do heavy stuff  around their homes and at "work". (like roofing their house, repairing cars and such). I also know who those people are.

I know one woman who has been on it for years because of Carpal Tunnel she claims she got from working on a computer job  in New  York, they moved out here.  Then  she took  classes (paid for by the government as sort of a rehab)) in computer work to teach classes on the internet (she does not). She does all her house and yard work without a problemw and dabbles in carpentry as a "hobby", building amll things. She also drinks beer in large quanitities(alcoholic) and smokes like a  stack.. Her disabilty is from NY state and nobody here checks on her. Nobody here would turn her in because she was born and raised here and her mother still lves in another small town 40 mi away.

I think there are a lot of cheaters out there and it only hurts those who really are in need or need help only for a short time.

False

According to the Social Security Website:

The definition of disability under Social Security is different than other programs. Social Security pays only for total disability. No benefits are payable for partial disability or for short-term disability.

"Disability" under Social Security is based on your inability to work. We consider you disabled under Social Security rules if:

• You cannot do work that you did before;
    • We decide that you cannot adjust to other work because of your medical condition(s); and
    • Your disability has lasted or is expected to last for at least one year or to result in death.

This is a strict definition of disability. Social Security program rules assume that working families have access to other resources to provide support during periods of short-term disabilities, including workers' compensation, insurance, savings and investments.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a Federal income supplement program funded by general tax revenues (not Social Security taxes):

blank spacer
    blue ball
    It is designed to help aged, blind, and disabled people, who have little or no income; and
    blank spacer
    blue ball
    It provides cash to meet basic needs for food, clothing, and shelter.

False