Removing stains from silk | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Removing stains from silk

Last post May 01, 2008 10:18 PM by Lady Fingers . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • Removing stains from silk

I have got some kind of stain on my favorite lavender silk blouse and it won't come out. I had it dry cleaned and it still didn't come out. Any suggestions?

False

• Re: Removing stains from silk

What made the stain?

In some of my very old cookbooks they tell what to use to remove stains out of wool and silk.

False

I am not sure Grelo...knowing me, it's probably food. LOL

False

If it was me I would try Oxy-Clean - that stuff gets just about everything out - but you say you had it dry-cleaned already.  I hope that process didn't 'set' the stain.  Next time, try Oxy-Clean first: use a stronger solution than they say, and soak it over-night.

False

Limey..even for 100% silk??

False

What kind of silk is it. Shantung, Raw??? Most silk is washable. I always use Easy Wash. This is sort of like woolite, but purchased at a fabric shop. Did you tell the Dry Cleaners about the spot in advance? When I say that most silk is washable I'm talking by hand and cool water. Do not ring it out, just squeeze and then hang on a plastic hanger in the shower to dry. Always use a pressing cloth when ironing. Sure hope the heat from the cleaning hasn't set the stain. Bernadine

False

Bernadine, I don't know what kind of silk it is. The tag just says 100% silk. Yes, I did tell the dry cleaners about the stain and yes, I too wonder if it is now set.  I guess I am just afraid that even if I hand wash it, that it will leave water stains. You did give me an idea tho. I can take it to the fabric store and see if they can help. Thanks!!

Thanks Grelo and Limey too!!

False

monica.lewinski@intern.gov

I don't think she has an answer to getting the stain out, but she can tell you how to turn it into great PR! 

False

I pretty much always handwash silk.  And hang it dripping wet to dry (no wringing). 

False

So what?  Big deal.
    --Closing lines of Buckaroo Banzai Beyond the 8th Dimension, AND of my childhood mix tapes.