OK, another ? concerning "Cloth" shower curtains | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

OK, another ? concerning "Cloth" shower curtains

Last post Sep 25, 2008 7:47 AM by pippin2 . 16 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 12
  • OK, another ? concerning "Cloth" shower curtains

I had asked about how you all go about cleaning your plastic shower liners and a lot of you said you prefer cloth liners, and someone even suggested one she gets at Lowe's called Zipliner for $14.99.

Well, hubby is on the way home with one (hopefully......he said that is what he has, lol.  Knowing him it is a toss up of what he will come home with)....

Anyway, when I told him what I wanted him to look for, first thing out of his mouth...which I knew even before he said it was....."Well, how in the world will that work.  A cloth one will be soaked and dripping with water."

You see, the bathtub I have to shower in is rather small, since I can not get into the larger 'garden tub' we have in our master bath, since it has a molded seat that is on the inside of the tub, and I no longer (due to my disability with my knees and feet) step across into the tub.

The smaller tub is a lot smaller and I'm sure the water from the shower will saturate the cloth shower curtain/liner seriously.

My question is....for the ones who do have cloth, does your's get really wet, and so you have to let it drip dry or it is far enough away from the water as you shower that it does not get all drippy wet?  Just curious.

Barbara

False
  • Re: OK, another ? concerning "Cloth" shower curtains

ours doesn't get real wet, and I make sure and spread it out to drip dry when we are done....that way it doesn't collect moisture in the folds and molds....

False

my blog! www.jillshomecooking.blogspot.com

Been a big fan of TOH since I was a young teenager!!! I was sooooo excited to be asked to become a Volunteer Field Editor in June 2013!!

also the one I have is white, so if there is anything on it I can throw it in the wash with bleach and comes out looking like new!

False

my blog! www.jillshomecooking.blogspot.com

Been a big fan of TOH since I was a young teenager!!! I was sooooo excited to be asked to become a Volunteer Field Editor in June 2013!!

My cloth one is polyester and is just the curtain---no liner at all.  It hangs in a shower that has a seat in it.  There is about a 4-5 inch ledge at the bottom that the curtain lays against and the whole curtain does get wet.  But I pull it back across the shower so it can dry. It doesn't get moldy, just a little brown on the  bottom from the rust in the water here, and then I wash it with a little bleach and soapy water.  My curtain is over 15 years old and still looks good.  Has never faded.

False
    1. Click for Rochester, Minnesota Forecast    

I don't know if this helps you or not, but I always use cloth shower curtains with a plastic curtain inside of it.  I use two poles.  The dressy cloth curtain never has to move.  The plastic one just gets pulled across.  I usually go to the dollar store and buy a few plastic liners in a matching solid color and then just toss it after a few months.  Or, you could actually wash the plastic ones in the washing machine.

Rosemary

False

I have used a cloth shower curtain with a cloth liner for years. I will NEVER go back to plastic. It washes up so nicely, and I have never had a problem with the outside curtain getting wet. We have 4 adults in our house taking showers every morning. Never a problem. Our bathtub is on the small side too.

False

I generally buy the prettiest (IMO) cloth/Embossed  shower curtain with a Valence (personal taste-Valence)  to co-ordinate with my Bathroom colors that I can find.

I then use a Heavyweight (usually designated Commercial) Plastic liner that co-ordinates.

The heavy plastic  liner is generally washed once or twice- does well in my washer ..... then replaced .I personally  much prefer this  Heavy Plastic rinsable liner  to a cloth liner for a pricey Fabric Shower Curtain.

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

I use the same commercial heavyweight liners under fabric.  I've had the same ones for about 6 years. They have metal grommets that do not rip out.  They do wash well in the washer and I hang them up outside for a short time to dry. 

False

Thank you all for such good answers.  My hubby is back with the one I asked him to get....it has a zipper so that it won't have to come off the hooks to be washed. I notice that since it is 100 polyester, it is lightweight and water repellent.  Hopefully, this will turn out to be great.....and he got it on sale. Since this is our first cloth liner, I am eager to see how it does for me....no more plastic to keep away from me as I shower, lol.

He hasn't put it up yet, so now I'm hoping the length won't be any more than the plastic one I've been using, causing it to hang down into the tub so much.

At least I am the only one to use this tub/shower...so after I use it, it can start to dry.

Barbara

False

i dont think it gets any wetter than the vinyl.. What I like about it, the most, is, it isn't *sticky* like those vinyl ones. You know that feeling? Or is it just me.
    False

catmint

When I wash mine, I just hang it back up. It isn't ringing wet.

I have hooks that are just that, hooks. Easy to take off the liner, and put back, without taking off the outer curtain.

I'm glad you got one, Barbara, sounds good.

False

catmint

That zipper feature sounds nice.  I've been trying to figure out how long I've had this one. I'm thinking around 5 years. Still looks great. I dry mine in the dryer too. I think you're going to like it. 

I know that icky sticky plastic curtain feeling. Yuck. 

False

My shower curtain is cloth and white. I have a cheap plastic liner that is hooked onto the same hooks as the cloth shower curtain. When one closes-so does the other. The cloth one never gets wet. It's outside the tub and the plastic liner is inside. No problems for me.

False
    WEBSITE: http://mkmac4.tripod.com/ FORUM: http://doodlebug4.proboards47.com/index.cgi/ Aspire to inspire before you expire!
    The zipliner from Lowe's is great! I bought one after reading this thread. It is 100% polyester so it feels soft like fabric and is lightweight and dries really quickly. What I like most of all is that it zips-out right below the hooks! When it gets moldy, I don't have to use any chemicals to clean it and I don't have to unhook all the hooks to wash it. I just unzipped it and put in the washing machine and zipped it right back on! I love it and recommend it to everyone!
    False

Thanks for the info jj..and welcome to the Kitchen.

False
    Roen If you won't stand up for our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!!!