Dawn dish soap to clean tub/shower | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Dawn dish soap to clean tub/shower

Last post Jul 08, 2008 12:58 PM by 2MagnoliaTrees_LA_f_42 . 12 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
  • Dawn dish soap to clean tub/shower

Has anyone else tried this? I gave the dog a bath today and I've been needing to scrub down the tub and the surround. It's hot & humid here in Ohio today so I was hesitant to open the doors and windows for ventilation when using the normal tub cleaning products. I had bought a large bottle of Original Dawn (use it in a homemade recipe to kill poison ivy) and decide to try it.  It works!!!  It go rid of soap residue and some mildew.  The only thing it didn't totally get rid of was a little mildew on the bottom of the tub mat around the suction cups but then again some of the products intended for that purpose don't either.  I'm quite impressed.  No rubber gloves and I got right in the tub to scrub and I wasn't coughing from the fumes.

False
  • Re: Dawn dish soap to clean tub/shower

Thats a new one to me but I just love Dawn for getting the grease stains out of clothes.

False
    BLESSED ARE THE <CRACKED> “Life: Imagine the Potential” FOR THEY ARE THE ONES WHO LET IN THE LIGHT!!

I haven't tried that!  Would you mind sharing your recipe for getting rid of poison ivy?  I've been having a bad time this summer with poison oak.

False

"Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
    Dr. Seuss
    I mix Dawn, vinegar and water in a spray bottled and have been cleaning my tub, shower and all with it and it works well.  Much better than all of those chemicals.
    False

Aspiring to inspire before I expire! Faith, Family, Friends!

Haven't done this yet but my neighbor swears by Dawn to wash her shower curtain and liner.  Put the curtain or liner in a bucket of Dawn and warm water and soak and scrub. Rinse and hang.  I use Dawn as a great grease spot remover.

False

2MagnoliaTrees_LA_f_42
    I mix Dawn, vinegar and water in a spray bottled and have been cleaning my tub, shower and all with it and it works well.  Much better than all of those chemicals.

What proportions, 2mags??

False
    Fill your lives with love and bravery and you shall lead a life uncommon. - Jewel

Jangrif - this recipe for killing poison ivy is from Mary Ellen's Best of Helpful Hints book (1979).

Spray the area with a solution of 2 gallons of soapy water and 3 pounds of salt. A few dousings will kill it.   ( I use boiling water for at least a gallon of the water to disolve the salt. I use table salt in the round canisters (2), got it at Wal Mart for 33 cents each. I used a spray bottle but I bought a watering can with a sprinkler head I'm going to try next. We have a lot of stray cats in our area and this mixture won't hurt them like some of the chemicals do - plus it's cheap.

False

I am quite sure that Dawn liquid detergent was used to clean up the shoreline and birds after the EXON OIL Tanker spilled in the Prince William Sound of Alaska.

False

Abbypubby I use dawn for alot of things other than washing dishes.  I use it for a spot remover.  I use it to clean anyhting that has a greasy touch.  I have never used it in the bathtub but I am going to try it.  I have also found that the original seems to degrease better than the ultra dawn.  And one thing I did discover which I had to hit myself in the forhead and say daaaaaaaaaaa on was you have to watch out for the one with bleach.  I used it once and got some on my blouse and ruined it.  Never dawned on me that the bleach in it would do just what bleach is supposed to do.  hahaha  

Here is another trick you can do but with Dishwasher Detergent like Cascade.  When you husbands work jeans get dingy looking and greasy looking put jeans in washer and then start filling.  when it starts to agitate then sprinkel in about 1/4 cup of cascade.  this brightens the jeans some and they do not look to dingy anymore.  but make sure your washer is agitating before adding and do not add to new jeans or you will end up with white spots on your new jeans. 

False

I throw my tub/shower vinyl mat in the washer with white clothes to clean the mildew. I always bleach my whites so I know that helps get rid of the mildew. Then I hang it in the sun to dry.

Thanks for the tip to get rid of poison ivy. I have a fence row full of it. Due to our animals I don't like to use chemicals. Will definitely try Dawn to clean my tub as my boys work construction and my tub feels oily from the crud that gets on their bodies.

Also want to remind you that Cascade only dissolves in hot water. I have used Cascade to whiten whites when I am out of bleach.

False

A lady I work with also cleans homes/businesses as a second job.  She told me soap takes off soap.  I put some dish detergent on a green scouring pad and clean our tubs and showers. 

The woman also recommends using Old English liquid furniture polish on glass shower doors.  It will take off soap scum, prevent buildup of soap scum and smells good.  Use a dry cloth on a dry shower door to clean with it.

False
    Well, that is old age for you. You can't hear sounds that everyone else can hear and you can hear sounds that no one else can hear. Not really a bit problem until you begin to hear voices that no one else hears.

Great idea, I'll have to try these ideas , if it works thats great then I won't have to inhale those chemicals. How did you use it in the tub, full strength or did you mix it with water?

False
    1/4 to 1/2 cup of the Dawn, the rest of the bottle with vinegar ***************I actually realized I don't use ANY water at all. JUST the Dawn & Vinegar*********** Sorry about that. Brain sneeze !LOL! ***********Has to be ORIGINAL Dawn, not the new "improved varieties". When it's cheap I stock up to always have some on hand.
    False

Aspiring to inspire before I expire! Faith, Family, Friends!