Has anyone had trigger finger surgery and or carpal tunnel surgery? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Has anyone had trigger finger surgery and or carpal tunnel surgery?

Last post Aug 20, 2008 11:07 PM by mauibabbe . 23 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 12
  • Has anyone had trigger finger surgery and or carpal tunnel surgery?

I had both on May 28. I've done everything the doctor says and while the wrist is tender if I whack it, there isn't really much pain, just a little soreness if I over-do and I where a brace for work. My trigger finger was in my L ring finger. It is not better but worse than before the surgery.

When I had the stitches out at 10 days, the doctor was on vacation but I told the nurse about the pain and she said it was normal. Then a week a go it got so painful (and it is stiff and hard to straighten out, feels inflamed too) I took off work to go see the doctor. He made me feel like an idiot, told me it was all normal and that it takes a year and really acted as if I wasn't telling the truth. I had this same surgery in my right hand 15 years a go, and after the initial 3-4 weeks I was normal and all that, so this is really troubling me. I use Aleve and Motrin for the pain and to reduce swelling, but it just seems "not right".

Tell me your experience, please.

False

Rebecca

• Re: Has anyone had trigger finger surgery and or carpal tunnel surgery?

Rebecca, I had both hands done in 2004  (carpal tunnel) and had them done 2 weeks apart...he took the stitches out for the first one while I was in surgery for the second..honestly I have never had another problem with my hands..although I have noticed the last couple months I am waking again at night with numb hands...yikes...I do know with my shoulders and some other surgeries tho that it takes a good year until the pain goes away...good luck.. and if you keep having pain keep going back to the Doctor weather he looks at you like you are nutz or not.. eventually he will find the problem....

False

Old age ain't no place for sissies . -Bette Davis-

I've had carpel tunnel surgery and trigger thumb about  '98.   The carpel tunnel is much better.  I do not drop things and I don't have the burning sensation.  My thumb is another case though,  I CAN bend it over on my hand but it does not bend in the joint like it should.  On the other hand I CAN hold a needle and "feel it" but still have very limited feeling in it.  I do have to be careful to not overwork it like peeling potatoes will wear me out.  Trying to hem pants I have to do a little at a time and rest my hands in between.  I am now having the same problems with my middle finges on both hands ( you know the popping noise) and not bending back into place.  I will wait until I can't hold anything before having the surgery again.  Mine do not swell anymore just ache.

Be sure and do the exercises and rub with lotion.  The scar for the carpel tunnel you can barely see but the scar for the trigger thumb is very visible because it was to painful to message the lotion in like I should have. 

Hope you feel better soon and hope this helps answer some of your questions

False

AKFG - I sometimes have numbness in my right hand but usually sleeping with a good quality brace helps immensely.  Like I said, I am fairly please with my wrist, it's just the trigger finger. The doctor said it wasn't "clicking" anymore and that with all the nerves in the hand and finger that it was all normal, but it is really affecting my everyday life and feels so aggravated that I am just not buying it. He is the best doctor in this area, so I just don't know what to think. I only have health insurance through August 18 and won't have any until March when my work insurance can pick me up.

False

Rebecca

Rebecca... remember that even the "best" doctor has bad days... I could tell you stories...is there another in your area that maybe isn't "the best"  go for a second opinion....

False

Old age ain't no place for sissies . -Bette Davis-

I had two trigger fingers repaired at the same time with no problem. But last December I had another done, and had so much pain after. My surgeon was unconcerned at first, too, because I
    "could bend it during surgery". Well, yes, but I could not straighten it after the surgery. After 2 weeks, then 4 weeks check-ups, I finally got some occupational therapy. I went 2x a week for 4 weeks, and it really helped. It took another week or two after therapy for the pain to completely disappear, but it did, and the finger is fully functional with no pain at all. Tell you doctor you would like some OT to help get the finger working again. It didn't "stop" me from doing anything, but it sure hurt like the devil to try and use that hand. Check your insurance policy to see that it's covered, because they charge an arm and a leg!!! If you you have coverage, then I suggest you get some therapy for your finger. 

False

Paula - originally this February, I had cortisone shots, and while they hurt like H E L L, it took the clicking and pain away for 4 months. You might consider that for your new fingers.

AKFG - Doctors won't even look at another doctors work, fear of lawsuits or something. IDK.

Teacher- Yes, my doctor had me move it and open during surgery and he didn't hear any clicking so he felt he got everything. It didn't feel like I could open it all the way, but then again, it was numb from all the shots given for the surgery. I can't get it (the finger) to open completely straight. It is very frustrating. The area on the inside of the ring finger, between the middle knuckle and the pad on my hand seems very swollen and tight.

False

Rebecca

I had the same problem in the same area, plus the finger remained in a "rainbow" shape. I also had very sharp and tingling pain the whole length of the finger, but on the top. Very strange. No one was able to explain that, but the OT really helped. Good luck! I still do the exercises they taught me once in a while just to keep things moving along!! LOL I have arthritis, too, so it does help. And it feels good, too! Nothing like a massage. . .even if it's only on one finger and your hand. I also did a few paraffin dips near the end of the therapy. That feels wonderful!!!

False

Teacher - I love the way you type, LOL. Your "rainbow" shape is a perfect description, even though it straightens put slightly better after some warming up, but not much.

So in your OT, they massaged it? Can you describe the exercises, and how many visits did you do? My co-pays will be at least $35 a visit, plus remember just one more month of coverage.

False

Rebecca

I will try to explain. . .hope they make sense.

1. Bend your fingers, making just one bend, at the bottoms of your fingers, so your hand looks like a square corner. Keep your fingers straight. Don't use a lot of force and strain, just bend.  Repeat x10

2. Bend your fingers so they are touching the bottom of your palm, two bends this time at the base and the first knuckle up from the bottom. Repeat x10

3. Bend your fingers to the first crease in your hand under your fingers so that all three joints are bent ( about halfway down the palm). Repeat x10

4. Hold each finger straight, individually,  with your opposite hand  and bend only the first knuckle (near the tips of your fingers). You just need to imoblilize the big knuckle so you can bend just the little one. Repeat x10

Now understand that you look like a total dork doing this crazy finger bending, but. . . .it helps. Do this about three times a day.

Massage: use lotion and massage from tip of finger down, and massage the scar well. You probably have a little bump under the incision, so be sure to massage that as well. It will help decrease the size of the bump.

Hope this makes sense. . . .at least you can't hurt yourself doing this!!! 

5.  If you have some playdough or clay: gently roll from the fingertips to the wrist and back again until you have a "snake". Then use your thumb and index finger to make pinches along the snake. Then use thumb and middle finger, then thumb and ring finger, then thumb and pinky. When you roll the putty into a snake, do it gently, on a tabletop so you have plenty of room to do it in long smooth rolls. 

Have the clay in a ball and pinch around it with thumb and index finger, then thumb and middle finger, etc. about 10 times with each finger. Don't let the clay rest on anything while you do this. Just hold and pinch with the two digits you are using at the time. 

Good luck!!!

False

I had a $20 copay, and with the initial evaluation, it cost me $180 all told. But the actual charges. . .OMG. . . .ridiculous. Thank goodness for insurance. 

It took several weeks before I could lift a pot or pan without pain, and anything that pushed the finger up really hurt for a while. But all is well now. I was just afraid that finger would never straighten on its own, so I kind of nagged him about it with a bit of whining thrown in. But, the fact remained, I could not straighten my finger and it hurt like he!!. 

False

I had both hands done for the Carpel Tunnel about seven  years ago.  I still have some slight problem with my hands going numb on me esp if i lay on my sides.  But I do not have pain.  They actually caught mine before pain set in.  But I do have a friend who had it so bad she had to set with her hands between her legs holding them down alot. She had the same surgery butttttttttt she had it done with a laser.  She only had two stitches in both hands.  She has not had any problems since her surgery.  She had the surgery on Friday morning and sent back to work on Tuesday morning.  She is a hairdresser.  I wish I had the laser done instead. 

False

Rebecca, who was your hand surgeon? I went for my trigger fingers, I forget his name, now, Odd name. He was from India, I believe. The most gorgeous eyes....... OH, OK, lost my train of thought. lol

Anyway, I got shots in my fingers, 3 of them, i believe.  My thumb was the worst one. It got stuck one morning, scared the jeeheebies out of me.

It had worked great. Sometime, one of my fingers might act like it is going back, but, so far, it is fine.

It looks like, if you are having that much problems, and pain, in your fingers, the shots should be done. A year is too long. I know how painful it is.

My Dr. was located in the Highlawn?? building at St. Marys.

False

catmint

sorry, Rebecca, i should have read further, you have already been that route. Mine has lasted a year, knock on wood.

False

catmint

Hi, I just found your post after googling "trigger finger release complications." I had mine done on July 4th and seem to have experienced the exact same complications. I knew right away that I couldn't extend my finger back (I am a flamenco dancer and use my fingers fully a lot. The healing process seemed to go along somewhat normally. But after I had the stiches taken out at two weeks, I still had stiffness, pain, etc. Then I developed the same symptoms as you: signs of slight infection, swelling, puffiness, serious pain, tenderness of the incision site, a feeling that lots of scar tissue had formed and was impeding my movement, numbness if I pressed on the pad under my finger, etc. I see the doctor again soon, and have been taking lots of anti-inflammatory supplements, rubbing analgesics on it, etc, but I am fearful of ever having normal range of motion and lack of pain! The trigger finger was annoying, but it didn't painfully impact everything I do, from shaking hands with someone to picking up a tea kettle or trying to chop vegetables! How did yours finally resolve? Any tips or suggestions? Thanks, Susan eelriver@saber.net
    False