? about vinegar as a meat tenderizer | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

? about vinegar as a meat tenderizer

Last post Jul 17, 2008 7:21 AM by octgal-pa . 23 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 12
  • ? about vinegar as a meat tenderizer

I read on here eons ago that you can put vinegar in cooking meat to tenderize... I have a roast in the crockpot today and honestly looking a this thing I think it will be boot leather tough (it is a chuck roast) How much vinegar do you put in?

False

Old age ain't no place for sissies . -Bette Davis-
  • Re: ? about vinegar as a meat tenderizer

You use the vinegar in the marinade.

If you keep it in the crockpot long enough it will tenderize.   LOL

Mel

False

Mel...Thanks.. I didn't marinate this sucker I just threw it iin..added a can of beef broth and some powder Au Jus and onion...*LOL* this crockpot cooking is new to me .. can you tell???

False

I don't know about tenderizer, but I've used balsamic vinegar to get the gaminess out of venison before.

False
    "...good things come to those who wait. True, but unless you're making a souffle or catching the bus, better things come to those who do something."--Amy Alkon demotivational posters
    see more

That sounds great!  How long are you cooking it?  The rule of thumb is 6 hours on high, or 8 hours on low.

Give it a poke about an hour before you think it will be done, because, amazingly enough, you can stew it long enough to stew all the juice out of it.  It will be tender - just dry.  LOL
    Mel

False

Keep cooking it, and make sure it has plenty of liquid......

False

my blog! www.jillshomecooking.blogspot.com

Been a big fan of TOH since I was a young teenager!!! I was sooooo excited to be asked to become a Volunteer Field Editor in June 2013!!

Hi WAC.. long time.. how was your vacation!!!???  I did not know that about venison.. I learned something new!!! Thank you!!

False

I honestly don't know much about crockpot cooking..(feeling al ittle dumb here) my crockpot has an "auto" as well as high and low.. I think auto is high for a while and then low.. so I should turn it on high if I want this done by 5?

False

If it is simmering now you wouldn't have to turn it on high. If not simmering, turn it up until it does. Add about a quarter cup vinegar. It won't taste but if you plan to use the broth, it might.

False

Granny thanks.. it is just kind of sitting there*LOL*  I just turned it up.. and then will play with it.. I haven't ever used it for much more than stew or chili!  But WAYYYY too hot to turn on the oven and Everyone here talks about their roasts in the crockpot so I thought I would at least try it...and figured I would go with a cheaper cut because if I destroy it I'm not out alot*LOL* I am spreading my wings!!!

False

It's hard to know what to do with the new crockpots. When they first came out the crockpot only had one speed (temp.). You put it in at night, let it cook all night and it would be ready by lunchtime. Sometimes I put it on in the AM and it was ready by supper. I have a new crockpot and I usually just cook it on high for several hours.  On the low setting it will not overcook no matter how long you leave it (well, within reason - not for days and days).

False

Hi AKF, vacation was good, but man it was hot and smoky in the Central Valley.  The truck needs a new air filter!

False
    "...good things come to those who wait. True, but unless you're making a souffle or catching the bus, better things come to those who do something."--Amy Alkon demotivational posters
    see more

WashingtonChou

I don't know about tenderizer, but I've used balsamic vinegar to get the gaminess out of venison before.

I'll have to try using the balsamic vinegar the next time I fix venison.  I usually soak it in cider vinegar, water and salt to get rid of the gaminess.
    False

"Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
    Dr. Seuss

Hi Teresa. Hope your roast comes out good. Cook it till it falls apart and then shred it and add the juices that are left and make some french dip sammies..Yummo.

The best secret I ever got to tenderize meat was buttermilk.. Yup.. It will tenderize the toughest venison, elk or cow you can find. And, it is also good for taking the gaminess out of the wild meat. Leave it for several hours or overnight and then rinse before adding it to your crockpot. Add whatever spices you enjoy and enough liquid to cover. It should come out perfect every time.

Vinegar will add flavor but it doesn't tenderize near as well as the buttermilk or you can use yogurt, if you prefer that.

False

Ridge... good to see you... how are you doing?  I have been thinking about you....

Don't know if this will be tender or not but it sure smells good!! I finally had to move it out to the top of the washer because it was making us too hungry!!!!  think  I will just thicken the juices for a gravy and make some mashed taters..  

False