can someone tell me what THYME taste like? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

can someone tell me what THYME taste like?

Last post Jul 29, 2008 2:33 PM by jetluvs2cook . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • can someone tell me what THYME taste like?

I am wanting to try a new recipe, but I don't think I have ever had thyme before....is it a strong herb? could I maybe sub parsley for it?

its a marinade recipe for chicken that has lemon juice, honey, oil and thyme.

can someone help me? :)

False

my blog! www.jillshomecooking.blogspot.com

Been a big fan of TOH since I was a young teenager!!! I was sooooo excited to be asked to become a Volunteer Field Editor in June 2013!!

• Re: can someone tell me what THYME taste like?

Jet, use the thyme, its a wonderful aromatic herb that will add excellent flavor. I use it alot, and I mean ALOT! HTH

False
    Roen If you won't stand up for our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!!!

I am going to agree.  I am not much of a fresh/ dried herb person.  I am just not brave when it comes to cooking...I make the same meals every other week.  I am a baker...that is where my creative juices flow.  But I went out on a limb & bought a small jar of it & used it with pork chops & holy jeepers it added just a touch of yumminess!  Good Luck!

False

thanks Roen! :) I am wondering.....does it maybe have sorta a lemon flavor? what made me wonder is because of the lemon juice in the recipe...

False

Been a big fan of TOH since I was a young teenager!!! I was sooooo excited to be asked to become a Volunteer Field Editor in June 2013!!

Nope, no lemony flavor, it also goes well with oregano tho. Trust me! Are you using fresh, crushed or powdered? I dont really use fresh herbs unless its chives or something. Im more of a crushed/powdered herb person. They are just more convenient. You can sub 1 T of a fresh herb with a 1t. of a crushed or powdered.

False
    Roen If you won't stand up for our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!!!

it will be the crushed. i don't have anywhere to buy fresh herbs myself.....i guess i should try growing some! lol!

thanks bakingmommy for your input! :) this might become a favorite herb! :)

I am going to go ahead and use the thyme.....will be making this tomorrow for lunch and see how we like it!

Thanks

Jet

False

Thyme is often used in combination with other herbs, such as rosemary for poultry or sage for pork and stuffings.  Thyme does go well with lemon zest.

It's hard to describe flavors except by comparison, and I can't think of anything it really tastes like, but it seems to brighten the flavors in a dish.

I've used it in bean soup, in salad dressings, and with pork or poultry.

False

So what?  Big deal.
    --Closing lines of Buckaroo Banzai Beyond the 8th Dimension, AND of my childhood mix tapes.

Thyme is wonderfully versatile because it blends well with all kinds of foods, and it does especially well with lemon, garlic, and basil. I use it LOTS of recipes... salads and soups, and herb breads.  It can be used with just about any meat, casserole, stew or vegetable dish. One of my favorite meals is Lemon Thyme Chicken and Rice.

False

"Wit is educated insolence." Aristotle

thanks! I am deffintly going to try it! :)

False