Help! rust in my kitchen sink | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Help! rust in my kitchen sink

Last post Aug 15, 2008 11:38 PM by Loving Pink . 15 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 12
  • Help! rust in my kitchen sink

I just moved into an apartment and there is rust in the kitchen sink (at the bottom where it drains)

any secrets to getting it out? I've found some products for rust but they are for the bathroom and I am not sure I want to or it would be safe to use them in the kitchen...

any tips would be appreciated!

False
  • Re: Help! rust in my kitchen sink

Is it a stainless steel sink? If so, then just use a Brillo pad.

If its porcelain, you might want to try one of those gel cleaning products with bleach in them. I have stainless so I'd use the brillo.

False

Before you try anything more expensive or dangerous, grab your baking soda.  Sprinkle a little on the wet sink, let it sit a bit, then scrub with a nylon scrubby.  Baking soda is cheap,,non-toxic you have it on hand, it's anti-bacterial, doesn't scratch, and most importantly--it WORKS.  It even takes grape juice and KoolAid stains out of white formica (I know that for a fact!--LOL).  It's always the first thing I reach for when cleaning the kitchen--and I rarely have to move up to something more hazardous to my family's health

False

I was wondering if that would work and will try it ... (since we just moved I don't even have baking soda because we through out almost all of our kitchen stuff.. itw as too hard to keep when we were moving because it owul dhave to sit in our hot cars for days while we stayed in a hotel and found an apt)

False

"Barkeeper's Friend"...you'll find it with the other scouring powders. Might take a time or two but it does a good job!

False

mammaw123
    "Barkeeper's Friend"...

Dog  I use this too.... works wonders on my kitchen sink....  I also use it on my glass cook top.  Doesn't srcatch

False

Call the landlord or manager and let THEM fix it. You are paying rnt for a clean apartemnt in good shape but appaerent;y you did not look at the sink too closely when you inspeted before moving in.

False

Count me in as another fan of Barkeepers Friend, a fabulous cleaner!  With a bit of elbow grease it should rub out.  But, of course, I don't know the extent of the rust.  Whether your sink is porcelain or stainless steel, Barkeepers will be safe on it.  

If the rust is caused by iron in the water, then you will probably have to use the cleaner often to keep up with the residue iron leaves behind, a rusty stain.  But if the material the sink is made of is rusting out, ....hmmmm, that is another matter.   I have seen products sold for the purpose of stopping the process of rusting out.  The uses are to paint over rusting metal surfaces on such items as metal wagons, gardening tools, shovels and so forth.  Perhaps that sort of "fix" could be done, if the sink itself is actually rusting out. 

But, like gre_lo said, if that sink is that bad, I would demand the landlord fix it.

False

In the cleanser aisle in the grocery store on the top shelf look for a copper colored plastic bottle that says 'Whink" Rust remover. Its safe on everything, even silk. One squirt and the rust disappears like magic. I use nothing else. :) It works on every surface I've tried it on. No stink, no scrubbing, no abrasives.

False

I will look for this next time I am at walmart - the baking soda didn't work...

I talked to my neighbor and her sink is the same way.. there is also some rust on the bathroom sink faucet so I am thinking it might be the water... I don't think my sink is rusting out or anything though

False
    I also use Whink for rust stains. It works great--but, be careful not to get it on chrome finishes. It takes the shiny chrome finish off. I squirted it in the bathroom sink and now the chrome ring at the drain has a dull gray finish.
    False

I looked at walmart today and was not able to find the Barkeepers Friend - anyone know where I can get it?
    False

Loving Pink

I looked at walmart today and was not able to find the Barkeepers Friend - anyone know where I can get it?

I buy it at the grocery store -- Pick 'n Save here.

False

♀♀ = Love

♂♂ = Love

♀♂ = Love

A strong man stands up for himself, a stronger man stands up for others. -the movie Barnyard

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived!

Click for Milwaukee, Wisconsin Forecast

Barkeepers Friend should be by the other powdered cleansers---Comet, Ajax, etc.

But I would get the Whink.  That will make it disappear immediately with no scrubbing.  Just be sure to rinse it off thoroughly. 

False
    1. Click for Rochester, Minnesota Forecast