What's the best thread count for sheets??? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What's the best thread count for sheets???

Last post Aug 23, 2008 12:53 PM by Scheidgirl___OREGON . 16 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 12
  • What's the best thread count for sheets???

It's been a long time since I've had to buy sheets, and wondered what do YOU think is the best thread count for sheets?  I've looked online and was amazed that some are 1500 thread count, also very, very pricy.  The last I bought were Egyptian cotton, but don't know the thread count......let me know your feelings on this.  I don't want a small fortune into the sheets, but don't want the cheapest either.......Gram  Smile

False
    …….Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are mine. Isaiah 43:1b Spring countdown banner
  • Re: What's the best thread count for sheets???

The higher the better Gram!  I bought some last year at Walmart, one of those "day after Thanksgiving" deals - $20 a set, 450 thread count. They are really nice!  That was for queen. 

False

Community Manager

Taste of Home Magazine

Feel free to contact me if you have questions or concerns with the Taste of Home website or community.

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sstetzel.toh@gmail.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

I agree you can do very well in the 200-350 range. 

And do try to handle the fabric before buying, if at all possible. 

False
    Anything over 400/450 is overkill unless you want a sateen finish which is a higher thread count. Also check to see if thread is a one ply or a two ply. Two ply tends to be heavier and perhaps a little rougher. Egyptian cottons are great and can be had in a 300 TC which is in my estimation the most comfortable,economical and launder well.
    False

I find the higher the count the warmer the sheets are....so summers here it's 250-300 thread count only!!!! and ALL cotton...come Jan or Feb I will put on the 450 thread count sheets...and the blanket....

False

It's not how you start, it's how you end....so end strong!!

Walk yourself strong!!

You can read all about thread count here.  Those high count sheets are too soft and limp.  And they wrinkle so badly.  I agree that anything over 350-400  is a waste of money.

And feeling of them in the store doesn't give you the exact way they will be.  All sheets have a sizing in them that gives the fabric body.  Once washed, they will be softer.

http://www.selectcomfort.com/product_research/about_researcharticledisplay.cfm?title=&siteLocation=001~2~28~5~3-2590

False
    1. Click for Rochester, Minnesota Forecast    

You know what?  I buy sheets to sleep on.  Once I'm asleep, I really don't notice whether they've got more or less threads per square inch.  And not once, in my over 58 years, have I ever had sheets on my bed that kept me awake because they had too few threads--LOL!  I sleep just as well on percale as on muslin sheets.

Sorry about this, but there are other factors that are at least as important to comfort in fabrics as thread count.  In truth, the MAIN reason for spending a lot of higher thread count is bragging rights.  If you can find a comfortable sheet you like with a 180 thread count, there's no reason to over spend on something that isn't going to perform any better.

I've actually had some higher thread count sheets that didn't hold up as well as lower thread count ones.  I seriously doubt that was a function of the thread count--just a problem with the over-all quality of the particular sheets.  You can get good and bad quality across the board--higher thread count doesn't necessarily guarantee a better sheet.

And here's a question--how do you know the sheets actually have the thread count listed?  Are you going to take a square inch apart and count the threads?

Someone suggested handling the sheets before you buy.  Unless the laws have changed, that's illegal.  I used to work in a linen store--and it's against the law to sell sheets unless the package is sealed, so most stores are not going to let you 'cop a feel' of a sheet before you buy, because they cannot then sell the sheet to anyone after it's open.

My point is buy what you like, what you can afford, what looks nice.  Don't get too hung up on thread count.   It's really not that important.  I'm more interested in fiber content, construction, general quality, etc.

False

The last that I bought were 600 TC.. Oh My Gosh they are soft!!!  The best place I have found to find sheets with high counts VERY reasonably priced is www.smartbargains.com

I have bought an awful lot of sheets thru them!!! 

False

Old age ain't no place for sissies . -Bette Davis-

well I've bought cheap ones and it wasn't long before they developed the little "pills" which, to me, are NOT comfortable to sleep on.  The set I have now I believe are 600 count and I LOVE them!  Also, I've never had a problem with the stores allowing me to feel the fabric. 

False

I try to get percale which has a thread count of 300 and above, I think. They won't "pill" up like the muslin. I say buy what feels good to your hand if you can get an open pack. Even by looking through the pack you can usually tell what will feel good.

False

I have sheets of all kinds.  Sometimes I'll pick up a new sheet at a house sale and then I just look at the price/color/maker.  Not fussy when it comes to sheets unless it's too coarse.

Do you buy sheets that have to be ironed?  I have some 100% cotton ones that need to be ironed and when they are done, they do feel nice.  Other sheets I have had just never felt good, nor did they iron well.  They became bandages rolled by my friend's church ladies and ended up in Africa!!

The polyester/cotton sheets don't get holes when they get old, they just get thinner and thinner.

False

I've had all kinds of all different thread counts...I recommend Charisma sheets, which I think are only 350 thread count, not some crazy number.  They are silky and don't shrink.  We got sick to death of them before they wore out.  Now I wish I had them back!  I hate my supposedly superior, higher thread count, Italian sheets.

False

i cannot sleep on muslin.  i buy my sheets at walmart, 250 count, 60% cotten and 40 % whatever.  they feel like percale and wear like iron.  ibought 100% egyptian cotten and they wrinkle and you have to iron them....i gave them away!!!

False