What size crock pot? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What size crock pot?

Last post Sep 10, 2008 6:31 PM by pamela60 . 12 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
  • What size crock pot?

What size do you use and why.  I'm thinking for the two of us a 3.5 quart should be good?

False
  • Re: What size crock pot?

Not sure of the size of my crock pot - it is a big size though.  Why such a big size?? - cause my children can EAT!!!  And then I just might get lucky and have enough for lunch the following day!

False

Depends on what I'm making!! I have a big, medium and small. I use the big one for soups mostly. If it's just a meal for DH and I like chicken breasts or a roast I use the medium one I use the small one for dips.

False

I don't like the new crockpots.  They cook way too hot on low.   I have one, but never will use it again.  I have two electric stockpots that I got from QVC.  They heat from the bottom and have a plug in dial like an electric frypan that cycles on and off and can be set from warm to 450 degrees.  I can use it for a deep fryer, too.

There are just two of us, but the pots are 6 and 8 quarts.   I always make enough soup and chili so there is enough to freeze, and if I use it for pulled pork, or anything else, it works just fine with only a couple of quarts of food in it.   Just my personal preference to not have a regular crockpot, because these serve the same purpose.

False
    1. Click for Rochester, Minnesota Forecast    

pamela60

What size do you use and why.  I'm thinking for the two of us a 3.5 quart should be good?

For 2-3 people, 3- 1/2 qt works best.  Crock pots are most efficient when they are at least half full of ingredients.  Any less requires shorter cooking time (one of the few ways you can burn the food), as implied in the owner's manual (True, too- I've done it!). A full pot may require a little extra time (more to cook- made that mistake too).

JMO

False

Well, now I'm feeling piggy!  LOL!

I use a 5-quart Crock Pot for two people... but I make enough for two nights because I don't really like to cook something for 8 hours only to have it for one night's meal.  That's just me. 

False

partot

Well, now I'm feeling piggy!  LOL!

I use a 5-quart Crock Pot for two people... but I make enough for two nights because I don't really like to cook something for 8 hours only to have it for one night's meal.  That's just me. 

Yes Yeh, well, so do mom and I Embarrassed. Saves from having to cook one or 2 nights- just heat it up!

False

We have an oval 6 or 6 1/2 qt. crock pot for just the 2 of us.  I love leftovers & use a vacuum sealer to pack them for the freezer.  A whole chicken fits into it, so does a large pot roast or corned beef...I also make soup, chili, Italian beef, meatballs, sloppy joes in large quanitities...I've taken meals to my son & DIL after their 2 kids were born to help out, taken meals to our other son & DIL after surgery, so they'd have easy meals from the freezer.

False
    I think mine is 5 or 6 qt...for 2 people. I wish it were twice that size when we make chili!
    False
    "The modern conservative...is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy. That is the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness." John Kenneth Galbraith

I have a 6 quart oval... and I love it.. but then I feed 4 adults and a baby too.. and sometimes I have leftovers!!*LOL*  DD's died a few months ago and I think i am going to get her a new one for her birthday that is coming up!

False

Old age ain't no place for sissies . -Bette Davis-

There's just the two of us, too.  I have 3 crock pots.  A couple of years ago I bought a Rival 4 quart oval and it's a good size for roasts and other meals and we usually have enough for 2 meals.  Last Christmas I got a Farberware round 5 quart (but it sure seems a lot bigger than my 4 quart and it does NOT cook hot like my oval Rival...in fact it took some getting used to because the potaotes wouldn't get done in the same amount of time as in my rival) and I use it mostly for soups and stews.  Then I bought a really cute 1 1/2 quart (or 2 quart...can't remember) Proctor Silex oval for smaller recipes.  And I like ALL of them!

carole

False

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
    -Will Rogers

Yes, ma'am, they can certainly be a help if you have a "busy" life.  If approached properly, you could cook a lot of one thing and stretch it for a lot of meals.

False

Well here I am on the down side of life and have never owned or cooked in a crock pot!

My daughter sent me a 2.5 for my birthday along with a really nice cook book for the smaller slow cookers.  The recipes sound yummy and I can't wait to try it out.  "Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Recipes for Two" by Beth Hensperger.  I thought since I still work and my husband is home now, it should come in very useful.

False