Freezing unbaked apple pies! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Freezing unbaked apple pies!

Last post Oct 21, 2010 7:55 AM by enjoynature . 12 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
  • Freezing unbaked apple pies!

Can I freeze an unbaked apple pie, to bake later? I have so many apples this year, that I would like to make pies and freeze them. Perhaps it would be better if I baked them first. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Marie 

False
  • Re: Freezing unbaked apple pies!

I do it all the time... just make sure you wrap them well so they don't freezer burn...I try to do 10-12 pies each fall for the freezer unbaked... that way you are serving "hot fresh pie" !!!!

False

Old age ain't no place for sissies . -Bette Davis-

Thank you, akfishergirl, for the quick reply. Should I thaw the pies, before baking them, or bake them still frozen? I really do appreciate your help.

Marie 

False

yes you can . I have done that for years and so did my mother-in-law and she did many every year for many years as she too had apple trees and lots of apples. Just make the pies like you normally do and put in a heavy plastic bag and seal that up. The bags I used were the ones trukeys came in from Jenni-o. My mother ued to get them for me when she worked there. If they had misprinted bags they would sell them by the dozens real cheap . I loved them.But you can find others as good, perhaps gallon zip locks.

You can also make canned apple pie fliiling -- did you know that. That you can use on ice cream, pancakes, waffles to make pies at a later date. and I have cake dessert which is called a coffe cake but unlike most coffe cakes. it is delicious.

If you want the recipes for canned apple pie filling and that dessert just email me at : laverne_shirley44@yahoo.com  as I am not always here and usually don't go back and read old messages and I will be glad to give them to you.

Happy canning

False

I have baked them both frozen and thawed, it doesnt make too much difference just that you have to leave them out to thaw. You can take them out out over night in the fridg and that should do it.

False

I pull then out and put them in the oven.. bake slower.. 350 for maybe an hour and a half.. but your apples will hold up better... trick I found the hardway wrapping them was wrap in plastic first then foil!!  don't put the foil on the crust..(I really learned this the hardway!!)  nice part of this too is you can unwrap the plastic but leave the foil to catch the drips in the oven!!!! if you use the foil pie pans.. they fit perfect in a gallon ziplock bag!!!!

False

Old age ain't no place for sissies . -Bette Davis-

i have two granny smith tree's and i'm over loaded with apples..today i'm making a apple cobbler..freezing pie's is a good idea..also discovered making apple butter..i could freeze that as well..thinking i need a new freezer..just for my apples.

False

I am making pies for the freezer today.  I have six finished.  I make French apple pies and freeze them unbaked.  I double wrap them in plastic wrap and put them in jumbo zip lock bags.   To bake them, I take them out of the freezer, put them on a cookie sheet and bake them.  I usually use foil pans, but if I use glass, I start them in a cold oven to avoid breaking the dish.  I bake them at 350 for about an hour and a half. 

I have some more apples to do this afternoon so I'd better get busy.

Marge

False

Thank you all. I really appreciate your help. Marie

False

I don't freeze a whole pie. Doing that takes up more space and you have to be careful not to damage it. I mix up the filling and freeze that. Let it thaw and you just dump into a crust. 

False

How do you cook them later?  Thaw?  Cook from frozen state?  What temperature, how long?  

False

used to make pies at apple season years ago, and home made applesauce..you can freeze that too.  as far as cooking them later, just pretend they are mrs. smiths and follow her dierections...lol   my db used to send me apples from ct. every year and i'd make my pies.  unfortunately he is gone...so no more pies...  not supposed to eat them anyway...

False

I make apple pies or peach pies and freeze them. I take a stryafoam plate turn it upside down, write the date, what kind of  pie, baked or unbaked, then I take my pie I have made, place the plate on top. Then place the pie in a sealed container or sealed plastic bags. If you don't seal it, it will get a freezer taste. Then I freeze the pies. I make several at one time. I do this also with dumplings.

I have baked the pies ahead,and have made unbaked and done this.

When I want a pie...which is a nice treat to have, or company coming, or a snowy day, and one at Thanksgiving.....

I take the pie out of the freezer, out of the storage container, remove the plate on top. Put the pie on a cookie sheet, place lightly a piece of aluminum foil on top of the pie. I do not secure the aluminum foil. I just lay it on top. Then I have the oven preheated to 350. I put the pie on the cookie sheet in the oven and let it bake about 45 mintues or longer depending the size of the pie and what kind it is, you can tell  buy checking the pie when the pie is done just like any other pie you would bake. Plus the house smells like pie.   But most of all you can Enjoy!

False