Can I use a springform pan to bake a cake? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Can I use a springform pan to bake a cake?

Last post Sep 24, 2008 6:05 PM by ViolaB . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • Can I use a springform pan to bake a cake?

I know that is probably a stupid question but I have honestly only made cheesecakes in springform pans.

My daughter is having her 3rd birthday on Sunday and I want to make her cake.  I have a snow white figurine and was thinking that I might could use two different size springform pans to make a cake kind of like a castle.

I saw directions for one at familyfun.com but it uses 4 boxes of cake mix and there is no way I need a cake that big!!  lol

I have three different size springform pans.  I think they are 10", 9", and 8".  I'm thinking the using the 10" and 8" would be about the right sizes to get the dimensions for the cake.

If I do this, how much cake mix should I use and how full would I fill them?

I might just end up getting the bakery to do this but I thought it would be fun if I could make her cake for her.

Thanks for any help you can give me!! 

False
    Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. "John Wooden"
  • Re: Can I use a springform pan to bake a cake?

I've never made a cake in a springform but I've made yeast bread in one.  I make a Russian Kulach which is a slightly sweet, almond flavored yeast bread that I put candied peel into in large round loaves.  The springform pan worked great.

Not much help with the cake am I?

False

Carol

The risk in using a springform pan is that the cake batter might leak out.  Not a problem with a cheesecake because the bottom crust block any leaks.  So what I might try is this:  Wrap the bottom of the pan in foil so that it will make a tighter than usual fit when the pan is latched around it.  Then wrap the outside of the pan with another sheet of foil, to catch anything which still leaks through.

False

A lot of this is folk memories and cultural hangovers.

Lady Fingers

The risk in using a springform pan is that the cake batter might leak out.  Not a problem with a cheesecake because the bottom crust block any leaks.  So what I might try is this:  Wrap the bottom of the pan in foil so that it will make a tighter than usual fit when the pan is latched around it.  Then wrap the outside of the pan with another sheet of foil, to catch anything which still leaks through.

Hmmm...I had not even thought about it leaking.  I guess I was thinking that if the cheesecake didn't leak neither would a regular cake.  But, like you said, cheesecakes have crusts.

Thanks for the tip!!

False
    Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. "John Wooden"

I did, once, and found the bottom of my oven covered in cake batter....after a good pout, it occurred to me that I could tightly wrap the bottom of the pan, on the outside, with foil. I took narrow strips and wrapped them around the outside seam of the pan, then wrapped the whole outside in foil. Well..just the bottom, really, and up the sides a bit. It did not leak at all!

ViolaB

False

I bake everything in my springform pans, cakes, brownies, blondies.....

False

wrapping in foil will work, another option would be to bake 2 cakes in traditional 9 x 13 pans (or in larger jelly roll pans) and cut circles out to stack and form into a castle - then you would also have pieces to use as turrets, a moat, etc.  Very creative of you ... one time I baked my daughter's cake in a deep bowl and stuck the top 1/2 of a barbie in it and then decorated the cake as her dress ... VERY popular at the party!  Have fun!

False

signature 

My "Babies" are growing up!!!!

Oooo, love the ideas!

I did a spring cake for Easter one year, using a very small springform, and a much larger one. The smaller cake sat upon the larger, and I cut a piece out of the smaller, so it looked like an old crushed straw hat. I decorated it that way, with edible decorations, and a little plastic bird in a nest made out of...hmm, can't remember....could have been coconut, or maybe it just nested in the top of the hat...whatever, it was very cute!

ViolaB

False