WHAT CAN I USE IN PLACE OF CILANTRO | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

WHAT CAN I USE IN PLACE OF CILANTRO

Last post Oct 24, 2008 6:51 PM by whateverfood . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • WHAT CAN I USE IN PLACE OF CILANTRO

My recipe  for salsa calls for 8 T. of cilantro, I don't like it and I don't have it in the house. What can I use instead. I also don't have parsley either.

Thanks

False
  • Re: WHAT CAN I USE IN PLACE OF CILANTRO

What are you making that calls for cilantro?

False

What is the recipe for?

False
    Friends are like panties. Some stay up your butt, some get a little sideways, some are holy, some are cheap, and some actually cover your butt The American flag does not fly because the wind moves past it-The American flag flies from the last breath of each ,military member who has died protecting it DISCLAIMER: This e-mail, including attachments, is intended for the person(s) to whom it was sent and may contain outrageous claims and bald-faced lies. Unauthorized disclosure, copying or use of this information may result in a can of whoop-ass being opened on you and is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please inform the intended recipient you agree with this message. Thank you If I were to try to read, much less answer, all the attacks made on me, this shop might as well be closed for any other business. I do the very best I know how—the very best I can; and I mean to keep doing so until the end. If the end brings me out all right, what’s said against me won’t amount to anything. If the end brings me out wrong, ten angels swearing I was right would make no difference.” -A. Lincoln

aaahhh I LOVE cilantro -- make whatever with the cilantro and send it my way.  And then many thankyous.

Aleida

False

It's a salsa recipe and it is great.

False

If you don't like it, just leave it out. If the recipe needs more *taste*, then you can add cumin.

False

I take it that is 8 tablespoons of fresh?

Rule Of Thumb with any herb is 1 measure of fresh = equivalent to 1/3 dry-so 8 tsp dried.  Can also use coriander, which is the seed of the cilantro- but does taste different, so it's OK.

I take it you are one who objects to the "soapy" taste one can get from cilantro?

1) You can always cut back the amount called for when using fresh.  I'm a transplanted Southern Californian (35+ years), and I don't like that soapy taste either!

2) Coriander works just as well, but it is a seed, so it needs a little "massage" when adding.  only use as given above.

False

There is really nothing that I can think of that you can substitute, since cilantro has a distinct flavor. You may try leaving it out, although that may alter the taste. If you have tasted this recipe, then the cilantro was in it and therefore you didn't notice it was in there, however, it did lend a hand to the overall taste, if that makes sense.

False
    Friends are like panties. Some stay up your butt, some get a little sideways, some are holy, some are cheap, and some actually cover your butt The American flag does not fly because the wind moves past it-The American flag flies from the last breath of each ,military member who has died protecting it DISCLAIMER: This e-mail, including attachments, is intended for the person(s) to whom it was sent and may contain outrageous claims and bald-faced lies. Unauthorized disclosure, copying or use of this information may result in a can of whoop-ass being opened on you and is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please inform the intended recipient you agree with this message. Thank you If I were to try to read, much less answer, all the attacks made on me, this shop might as well be closed for any other business. I do the very best I know how—the very best I can; and I mean to keep doing so until the end. If the end brings me out all right, what’s said against me won’t amount to anything. If the end brings me out wrong, ten angels swearing I was right would make no difference.” -A. Lincoln

soap

False

May you never forget to remember what is worth remembering, nor ever remember what is best forgotten.                                                                                         

whiteflower_pa

soap

Yes, when there's too much of it, or that bunch you just chopped up is a little stronger than normal.  It has a "soapy" essence to it. Too much Almond extract can be bitter and unappealing- (and you then know what cyanide smells like- or so they say), but it didna do much to ya either- or did it? NM, DWK!

Italian parsley will also work, now that I'm thinking about it again.

Oh yeah!  There is one thing you can do, not having any kind of parsley; in an emergency, but have green onions- use the trimmed greens (only) of those scallions.  I can't say how much, because it depends on what you're fixin.

False