How do you fix whole kernel corn? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How do you fix whole kernel corn?

Last post Nov 24, 2008 11:17 AM by Rebecca_WV_40 . 16 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 12
  • How do you fix whole kernel corn?

I'm to take some corn to Thanksgiving dinner. I don't want corn-on-the-cob because being I can't eat it off the cob with my braces. I don't want a corn casserole because the male folk will whine. I'm looking for the best way to flavor frozen or canned whole kernel corn. Any suggestions other than a lot of butter and salt?

False
  • Re: How do you fix whole kernel corn?

Tree... in my family we always cook frozen corn in milk and butter salt and pepper and a titch of sugar... then simmer for about 30-40 minutes...any other way just has no taste!

False

Old age ain't no place for sissies . -Bette Davis-

Lime and Chili powder! Om nom nom nom!

I live in Cali, so that's my "default seasoning mode" right there. Fresh lime juice squeezed over every veggie in reach and then a generous shake of a Mexican chili blend and a touch of sea salt. If it's fruit, it's lime and ginger.

~Morg~

False
    It takes a Viking to raze a village. My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Sister Atom Bomb of Love and Mercy!

I'm afraid I have to pass on the chili powder. I don't like spicy :(

I was wondeirng if a little cream cheese would make it really nice and rich.

False

Tree... experiment!!!  I know my gr and my grandma used to use whole cream but in the interest of Cholesterol I use milk*LOL!

False

This one sounds perfect!

http://www.ehow.com/how_4472819_whole-kernel-corn-side-dish.html

Has butter, cream cheese, salt & pepper. Easy to fix.

AKF, just don't have your cholesterol tested the day after Thanksgiving :)  Which reminds me I should go have blood drawn for testing Monday or Tuesday, don't want to do it on Friday!

False

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:

• 3 tablespoons butter
    • 2 cups fresh corn or frozen thawed corn
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • dash black pepper
    • 2 tablespoons green bell pepper, finely chopped
    • 2 tablespoons pimiento, finely chopped

Preparation:

Melt butter; add corn, salt and pepper, and green bell pepper. Sauté over low to medium-low heat for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally to keep corn from browning. Add pimiento

False
    This is very good: califstephie

Best Ever Corn

2-1 lb packages frozen corn kernels
    1-8(oz) pkge cream cheese
    1 stick (real butter)
    1 t sugar
    1 t salt
    pepper to taste

Mix all in crockpot and stir occasionally cook on high for 2 hours.
    .........................................................................................

Corn  Casserole in Crock pot
    very delicious.

2-3 pounds of frozen corn
    8 oz pkg. cream cheese cubed
    1/2 cup butter or margarine melted
    2-3 TBS sugar or honey
    2-3 TBS water (optional)

Combine all ingredients in slow cooker.Cover. Cook on low setting 4 hours.
     Tastes like buttered corn on the cob.

False

I like your plan Tree!!!  I don't scrimp on butter and cream on the holidays!!!  I figure a couple days out of the year are not going to kill us!!!

Your cream cheese one sounds really good too...hmmmm low fat? nah.... 

False

I vote for the cream cheese one!  Just a thought...you could always add just a bit of red pepper for a splash of color.

Molly

False

The silliest thing---- I was at my MIL's one day and watched how she prepared the can of corn.  After heating it up, she just put on a big blob of butter, then sprinkled it with salt & pepper.  Why hadn't I thought of that?  It was dang good!  I agree though about adding just a pinch of sugar.  

When I boil corn on the cob, I usually put salt, sugar, and lemon juice in the water.   

False

Some days, I can literally see the testosterone floating in the air around here. 

We went to our favorite restaurant and on their special was cheesy corn...It was really good, so I asked how it was made....The chef just put Queso cheese sauce in it...It was really good and that is how I make mine now....He used a good canned corn whereas I use frozen corn....

False

I do the cream cheese too, it's always a winner.  Frozen corn only - it doesn't taste as good using canned. Then I add pimientos, white pepper & fresh chives.  I don't use  any butter though, don't need it IMO.

False

Tree, this has nothing to do with whole kernel corn, but, Stick out tongue, if you like creamed corn, try John Copes in the freezer section. It's very good!

False

In addition to the butter, salt and pepper, my grandmother always added a little "thickening" as she called it - a spoon or 2 of flour whisked into 1/2 cup or so of milk.

False