Did you know today was Pearl Harbor Day? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Did you know today was Pearl Harbor Day?

Last post Dec 11, 2008 12:25 PM by debjg_ny . 41 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 3 (42 items) 123
  • Did you know today was Pearl Harbor Day?

My dad was at Hickam Air Force base when it was bombed.

http://plasma.nationalgeographic.com/pearlharbor/

brigidSleep

False

• Re: Did you know today was Pearl Harbor Day?

As a matter of fact, I did.  It's also the day they buried my 16 year old 2nd cousin (about 4 PM CST- today)- a sad day all around.

False

I did.  Sadly, I dreamt about it most of the night.  I don't like wars / conflict of any kind yet I always seem to be myself in the midst of it all.  Tongue Tied

False

I sure did.. it is also my Oldest Step Daughters 40th Birthday today

False

Old age ain't no place for sissies . -Bette Davis-

Yes.  My Dad would be 89 today if he were still alive.

False
    Stimpy Click for Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin Forecast

WEF,

I'm very sorry to hear about your cousin.  Yes, it is a sad day for you.

brigidSleep

False

Yes I was just thinking about it a few minutes ago. 

False

The secret of happiness is not in doing what one likes, but in liking what one has to do. ~Barrie

Math is fun!

Click for Soldotna, Alaska Forecast

brigid by the lake
    I'm very sorry to hear about your cousin

Thank you.

False

Yes..a day that will live in infamy. So sorry for your loss.

False

Yes!

False

Nature is the 'Great Mysterious' ... the religion before religions. Peter Matthiessen, Indian Country

Yes, our church was flying the flag at half mast today.  I never really thought much about Pearl Harbor, I guess because it happened before I was born and I didn't know anyone that died there, until I saw the movie.  It made it seem more real and I will never forget those that lost their lives that day and in the many days to follow. 

False

Yes I did.  My dad went and joined the Marine Corps shortly afterward.  The daughter of a Marine had better know these things.  

False

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin

Yes, I very much remember..I was a 12 year old child at the time. I heard the news on the radio(which I always had my ear glued to) and ran and told my mom and she responded by wondering where in the world  Pearl Harbor was located. Neither of us knew. Radios were brought into our 7th grade class room the next day to hear President Roosevelt ask congress to declare a state of war with the Empire of Japan-his famous 'day that will live on in infamy' speech. We used to listen to him every Sunday night on his fireside chat. Those were scary and uncertain years for children and adults, as well, because we didn't have access to the news like today and were always wondering what was going on. Always lots of rumors that scared a kid to death.The stories I could tell of those things we went thru on the homefrom (from a child's perspective) Hard for these younger generations to believe..Toni

False
    If the essence of my being has caused a smile to have appeared upon your face or a touch of joy within your heart, then in living I have made my mark.

Wow, so glad to know so many know what it is.  There are many younger people that think it is just a movie.

My dad was 23 years old and getting ready to come home on a holiday leave.  He and 3 other enlisted men ran to the munition building and shot open the lock.  They got machine guns and then drove to a tall building and began firing at planes.  On the way the driver hit a bump and the man behind my dad in the Jeep fell forward and stabbed my dad in the back of neck with a bayonet that was on the front of his gun!  He had a scar the rest of his life to remember it. Everytime I hear someone say remember Pearl Harbor, I remember my dad saying that was his remembrance souvenir.

brigidSleep

False

Yes, I did know. Brigid, thank you for sharing that story about your father. What a courageous man!

False