How Can I Clean My Mom's Cookware? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How Can I Clean My Mom's Cookware?

Last post Jan 09, 2009 1:09 PM by M_Wolverine . 3 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
  • How Can I Clean My Mom's Cookware?

When my Mom died 5 years ago I inherited her hammered Club Aluminum and RevereWare copper bottom stainless steel pots and pans. Both of these are very old. I'll be 55 in a couple months and I remember dragging both of these out of her cupboards in my pre-kindergarten years to bang on like a set of drums, so I know they are older than 50 years and I think I was told that my Dad bought my Mom one of the sets right after they were married and that would've been somewhere within a year or so of 1935, 73 years ago.

Anyway, I was at a flea market a couple years ago and ran across and bought a small Club Aluminum Dutch oven that was just as shiny as if it were new. Now this stuff hasn't been made for quite awhile so I know that someone cleaned and polished it somehow. My mom's Club Aluminum is pretty dull and I'd like to restore the shine somehow. Any ideas of what would clean and polish hammered aluminum until it shines?

Also the copper bottomed RevereWare has some pretty deep scratches in the inside of one of the skillets and the rest of the pans have some scratches too. How can I take the deep scratches out? As it stands right now the big skillet isn't useable because the scratches make food stick so bad. The copper bottoms are stained and tarnished too.

So please folks, work your magic and tell me how to make my Mom's cookeware like new (or close anyway) so I can use it and enjoy looking at it again.

John

False

John

John

“Then He'll call me some day to my home far away, where His Glory forever I'll share.”
  • Re: How Can I Clean My Mom's Cookware?

Happy Friday to you, JohnBeau! Smile

I was raised with Club Aluminum Cookware & my Dear Mom still has a set she purchased some 20 years ago.  That stuff is great! Yes

In any case, I found this website and it appears to have a boatload of information regarding the care and cleaning of your Mom's Club Cookware.  I hope it's of some help.

Meanwhile, my best to you and your's!

Krissy~~~

http://forum.epicurean.com/webbbs/webbbs_conf2.pl?read=10222

False

Hey John...I have a my Mom's Club Dutch oven circa 1947.  Mom kept hers immaculate with BarKeepers' Friend.  Though I've only it for a year & a half since she passed away, I think Mom would still recognize her old pot...LOL!!!!  I'm not as meticulous (sp???) as she was...LOL!!!  Not even close!!

I hate to admit I sold her RevereWare at the estate sale...can't help you on those!!

Geeked

False

My thanks to the both of you. I went and checked the website out and got a few ideas and I've also heard of BarKeepers friend, but never thought of using it on aluminum cookware. One way or another these pots and pans are gonna shine if it takes all the elbow grease I can wring out of my elbows.

My best to you,

John

False

John

John

“Then He'll call me some day to my home far away, where His Glory forever I'll share.”