Quick, what can I use in place of molasses? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Quick, what can I use in place of molasses?

Last post Mar 05, 2009 9:00 AM by Clucksie . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • Quick, what can I use in place of molasses?

Right now I am making a pot of veg. soup and it calls for 1T. of molasses and I thought I had some but nope I didn't. I do have dark Karo syrup. Can I use that or just forget about the molasses going in. It is a hamb. veg soup.

False
  • Re: Quick, what can I use in place of molasses?

In soup I'd just leave it out.

False

Community Manager

Taste of Home Magazine

Feel free to contact me if you have questions or concerns with the Taste of Home website or community.

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sstetzel.toh@gmail.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

I'd use brown sugar - not quite the full flavor of molasses, but somewhat the same.

False
    Fill your lives with love and bravery and you shall lead a life uncommon. - Jewel

Not Karo syrup - that''s just sweet without the flavor of molasses.  I'd leave it out or go with a little brown sugar.  

False

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin

What do you think, a tablespoon of brown sugar, just like the molasses would have been?

False

I'd start with maybe half that and then adjust it to taste as it simmers.

False
    Fill your lives with love and bravery and you shall lead a life uncommon. - Jewel

Or a heaping tablespoon of brown sugar (because you can make white sugar into brown sugar by adding molasses).

False
    Maybe a T. of honey?
    False

This is probably too late (you were makng it when you asked) but I would say brown sugar, too, if you have it. Brown sugar is just white sugar with molasses in it.

I never heard of adding molasses to vegetable soup. I wouldn;t even think of it (but I'm no Martha Stewart, and I once saw a recipe where they put black pepper in a chocolate cake)

Taste it without it and see if you like it anyway. Actually, I think I would put some in a bowl and add a pinch of brown sugar and see if it mad it better.

I don't know, if you don't have brown sugar. I've had cookie recipes call for that, and used coffee instead. Like a little, as a flavoring.

False

Since brown sugar is usually made with molasses, it seems it would be an acceptable substitute.  Sparingly, though, the brown sugar will be sweeter than pure molasses.

Then you could add a little crankcase oil, for proper texture.  Smile

False

"In the end we're all alone ... and no one's coming to save you."  -John Reese

My soup is all done and it is the best tasting soup I have ever made!! Whomever suggested the brown sugar in place of molasses was so right. I seldom use mosasses and hate to buy a jar so from now on in I will replace it with brown sugar. Thanks so much.

False