What do Robins eat besides.... | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What do Robins eat besides....

Last post Mar 09, 2009 4:10 PM by NanZim . 27 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 12
  • What do Robins eat besides....

worms???  we are buried in snow and the robins are out here looking for food... is there something I have in the house that I can put out for them to eat?

False

Old age ain't no place for sissies . -Bette Davis-
  • Re: What do Robins eat besides....

Dear Teresa,

Snow again!!!  My children are oh so tired of it.  We have been in the 80's the last few days.  I put out fruits and black oil sunflower seeds for all my birds here in Texas.  Getting ready for the Humming Birds.  How are you doing?  Me not so good.  I need to have a hip replacement or hip resurfacing.  Trying to hold off until after the NASCAR race April 6.  We have some good seats.  Thinking of you,...

False

The will eat bread!!! Seriously, my husband thought I was nuts to go out with bread for them and tried to say they were meat eaters, LOL!

I do know they will eat worms, but they sure as heck liked the bread I threw out there!

Go ahead, take the heels and give them to the birds. My hubby says heels are bird food anyway.

False

They will eat bread!!! Seriously, my husband thought I was nuts to go out with bread for them and tried to say they were meat eaters, LOL!

I do know they will eat worms, but they sure as heck liked the bread I threw out there!

Go ahead, take the heels and give them to the birds. My hubby says heels are bird food anyway.

False

They will eat from a bird table or at feeders with trays offering cut up raisins soaked in water, suet, suet mixtures, peanut butter mixtures, peanut hearts, cut up currants, pecan meats, sliced pears, strawberries, cherries, cottage cheese, and pieces of American cheese. They will also eat cooked plain spaghetti, doughnuts, white bread and cornbread

False

Lisa... Thanks!!  I opened my worm bin over the weekend for them.. but they are gone from there so I have a feeling they ate all my worms*LOL*!!!!   now they look so cold and hungry and I feel so bad for them.... I have shoveled in the driveway and put seed out for the little ones.. but the Robins won't eat the seed... I put out some pasta for the crows...and bluejays(they eat anything)  but the poor Robins stand there like well where's mine?!  I willget some bread out for them..

Toots.. Rnee was telling me about your hip.. we should just set up a rehab hospital for all of us....I need a new knee and they are telling me I am too young to have it done... so I just get to suffer a few more years!  Good Luck I wish I was going to the Texas race wit hyou.. it would be warm.. and I know exactly how your kids feel.. I am soooooo done with winter! 

False

Bread really is not that good for birds,it fills them up,but there is very little nutrition in it.(thus they can starve to death on a full stomach)...robins are also fruit eaters...crab apples,berries,etc...if you don't have any of those lying around...try raisins....they especially like them soaked in water...or do this in the microwave,until they are nice and plump.  If no raisins handy,they will eat peanut butter balls,take some p butter,mix with cornmeal,flour,shortening,until no longer sticky...most all birds love this.
    False

Trudy.. thank you.. i will make them some peanut butter and raisin sandwiches!!!!!  I just worry about them not finding food!!!  I will make a trip thru the fridge and cupboard and get them a smorgaboard!!!  I know the crows and Jays eat popcorn and pasta.. well they eat anything.... normally we don't get this much snow this late and the worry about the robins is not there.... but this is going to hang around for a while....... 

False

your so lucky you have robins in your neck of the woods..

False

Here, the robins also love berries - any kind - and many fruits.  I often chop up apples, apple skins, oranges, robins and mockingbirds like that in the winter.  Yes, raisins too.  I also put out a bunch of cantaloupe seeds the other day - many birds gobbled them!

Fishergirl, maybe a little nice freshly-made raspberry jam on that peanut butter?  Wink 

Sorry to hear of your health problems, Tootie and Fishergirl Sad  Hope you both get better soon!

False

"In the end we're all alone ... and no one's coming to save you."  -John Reese

Good luck. The bread issue is somewhat true, that would be if that is all they ate. But  alittle bit thrown to them will not harm them, as it of course would not be their only thing they ate. So the raisins cut up and I always put them in alittle water to blump them up , they love. And any of the above things mentioned.

False

Thank you all!!!!  I just put out a few not so great looking strawberries part of an orange chopped up..raisins and peanut butter,  and they are gobbling it up... I had to laugh because I had such a nice healthy worm box, but if the birds needed it the birds needed it... they sure have enjoyed that the last few days!!!  but they are not there at all today so i really think they cleaned that plate*LOL*

This is a later snow for us.. but not unusual..I just worry because the birds are starting to migrate back North and then get stung by weather...and they have to be hungry.... 

False

Bread and fruit.

We just cleaned out the freezer in the house and also threw out some hashbrown tators. The crows are pretty much getting the majority,but they need to eat to.

False

I saw my nesting Robin at the barn yesterday, singing like crazy. I think there was one calling back to her.

False

catmint

They are loving the apples oranges strawberries peanut butter raisins and marshmellows I put out for them and the kitties are really enjoying Kitty TV looking out the window dreaming!!!!  Neither cat goes outside so no worries but they love to ssit in the windows and "dream" of what they might do if they got out!

False