Pros & Cons of disconnecting your land line | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Pros & Cons of disconnecting your land line

Last post Apr 06, 2009 5:36 PM by amychris1 . 30 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 3 (31 items) 123
  • Pros & Cons of disconnecting your land line

I've been considering getting rid of my house phone and only using my cell but I'm curious to know if there are any important reasons I should keep it?   Any and all advise will be appreciated.  I should add I don't need a land line for the computer.

False
    Cathy "What Contemptible Scoundrel Stole The Cork From My Lunch" --- W.C. Fields
  • Re: Pros & Cons of disconnecting your land line

I'll preface this by saying that I'm very anti-cell phone. I think they're great to have in your glove compartment when you're out and about in case you have an emergency with your car or something. Other than that, I can't stand them.

But two things I can think of right off the bat are... you don't have to charge a land line, and if someone is in your home and has to call 911 or something, they can still do so even if they don't have a cell phone or theirs isn't charged. If I had kids, especially, I wouldn't want to disconnect the land line.

I have the basic phone package where I pay a low rate each month for my land line and then 2¢ a call for local calls, no matter how long they last.

False
        I believe in God. Only I spell it N-a-t-u-r-e. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

Cathy, I disconnected my landline almost a year ago.. do I miss it.. NO!!!  I am saving 80$ a month (and that was just a basic line)  I have family plan for Cell service so everyone has a phone... no more sales calls etc....even on the DO NOT CALL list I got calls....I don't miss it a bit and love the "free" unlimited long distance on my cell and we seldom use all the minutes a month....

False

Old age ain't no place for sissies . -Bette Davis-

We haven't had a land line in, gosh, probably 6 or more years. No need.

We don't miss it, nor the payments. It is so convenient to carry a cell phone on the family plan wherever we go. Each person has their own number, no fighting over the phone. I have rarely had problems with not being able to get through any number including 911. They travel well lol, when it rings it is always on me--no running to the house. When there are weather problems that affect phone lines I have never had a problem with the cell phone, even losing electricity for days they stayed charged. I charge mine at night and go days without charging if needed.

We decided to give up our land line when we noticed it was never being used and when it did ring everyone would go--what is that?

never regretted giving it up

False
     Photobucket

I was wondering about the 911 calling, say if you're calling from home, can they trace it like they can a land line?  I have had a cell for a long time now and am especially glad to have it since my Mother is in a nursing center now and they can reach me at any time. It's a comfort to me. Any Con's?

False
    Cathy "What Contemptible Scoundrel Stole The Cork From My Lunch" --- W.C. Fields

Cathy, the new cell phones are traceable.  The old ones are not.

False

Ahhhh, now THAT is good news.  Another worry scratched off the list.  Thanks!  Smile

False

We went all cell about 6 months ago! What a savings! Now the only problem we have is no fax.......but if we need to fax I can do so at work and it's only 5 miles away. Nope don't miss the landline at all!

False

This is just getting better.....I don't have a fax, so another nonproblem to cross off my list.  Still no Con's????

False

Here is one.  Remember 9-11 when the cell calls wouldn't go through but the landline would.  It made me wonder. 

Janet

False

We have a land line because our cable and internet go with it. We just used our cells for a couple of years before that and did not have any trouble. My siblings and parents are out of state and I needed the cell because it seems I was always on the road.

My only other thing to add is they have been adverting a phone system on the tv that is called something jack. A friend at works says she has it and it is not worth what you are charged ( something like $25 year).  Once you get connected to can never reach them again to disconnect. They have a lot of problems getting calls and trying to make calls.

Brenda/Ind.

False

our oldest daughter only has cell service....she is hardly ever home so why pay for something not used.....

False

It's not how you start, it's how you end....so end strong!!

Walk yourself strong!!

Thank you thank you - I'm getting closer to my decisions to nix my land line.  One thing is, I have a phone by my bed, in the kitchen and here in my computer room, I have one cell phone and am not used to carring it around with me.......does that mean I'll have to actually WALK to my purse where I keep in it the kitchen to answer a call?  LOLLLLLLL

False

I have a landline because it comes with my internet/tv bundle and it's only $25 a month with unlimited long distance, etc.  One con of being cell-only is that if you lose your phone, or it goes on the blink, you are incommunicado until you replace it, although I guess you could get a spare.

False
    "...good things come to those who wait. True, but unless you're making a souffle or catching the bus, better things come to those who do something."--Amy Alkon demotivational posters
    see more

We have to keep our landline because we have a security system and it is hooked up to the phone line.

I am another one that isn't crazy about cell phones........have one and seldom turn it on.

False