What can be used in place of cheese cloth? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What can be used in place of cheese cloth?

Last post Apr 27, 2009 12:43 PM by CardinalPuff . 15 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 12
  • What can be used in place of cheese cloth?

I am going to try to make some home made V8 juice this year when my tomatoes are ready.  I need to strain the veggies after done being cooked.  I am assuming it should be strained with cheese cloth.  But I don't have any cheese cloth.  What can I use in place of cheese cloth?

Actually, for any recipe that calls for straining with cheese cloth, what can be use instead?

False

Everything is okay in the end, if it's not okay, then it's not the end.

• Re: What can be used in place of cheese cloth?

a fine-mesh wire strainer

False

Ivey has a tight grip on reality and is slowly choking the crap out of it!

Veteran: -noun; someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable 'To My Country' for an amount "up to and including my life."

Advice to new nurses: Air goes in and out. Blood goes round and round. Anything else is a bad thing.

If you enjoy your freedoms, thank a soldier/sailor!

If you don't have a fine strainer, what about a collander--if the holes in it are too big, maybe a coffee filter in it?

False

I second the nomination on the coffee filter.

False

At a fabric shop, netting.

False

You can use a canning collander, or a canning victoria mill. If you don't have them, a clean pillowcase you don't want any more will work.

False
    And, keep in mind, there are at least 2 types of cheese cloth...food-grade that's safe to use for food purposes & the kind you're to use in the workshop...maybe applying wood stain. I didn't know there was a special kind for food...stopped in a hardware store because I was sure they'd have cheese cloth...that's when it was pointed out to me that what I was buying wasn't recommended for use in the kitchen. I would think any light-weight cotton would work...agree w/the pillowcase suggestion. Not so sure the netting would work...if you're trying to strain out seeds & larger bits of tomato...I think quite a bit would get thru the netting.
    False

What texture does commercial V8 juice have?

From what I have seen for many years it is sort of thick/creamy. Using a cloth will give you jice like you want for jelly= CLEAR. Using a colander is too coarse.

Why not chop coarsely, steam lightly and throw it into the belender, add some filtered water if too hick. Then can it. if that is what you want to do.

I assume you have a blender or t least a food processor.

You need the fiber of the veggies in your diet, clear juice does not give you the fiber necessary for good digestion and colon health.

Celery has a lot of natural salts so go lightly on the salt but a few drops of hot sauce will give it a litle zing.

False

I am sorry, but I can just picture soeone trying to filter vegetables through a coffee filter, it would take a life time and a million filters to get a gallon of clear juice.

Pantyhose will also take a long time and give yiou only clear juice (or cloudy, at best).

I use my good old blender and get the same consistancy  the commercialV8 has.

I make fresh apple juice the same way, it's like a thin shake and is delicious. That is the way I make fruit Jel-O. Blend fruit, add a bit of water, sugar and thicken with unflavored gelatin. MUCH better than the artificially flavored stuff you pay throygh the nose for. I make pear, Apricot, raspberry and apple, pineapple and strawberry jel-o.

False

i've used a jelly bag before, have any of those?

False
    Live in such a way that those who know you but don't know God, will come to know God because they know you. Click for Ankeny, Iowa Forecast[IMG] Photobucket
    Christian Glitter by www.christianglitter.com

I think the wire mesh strainers that you get in the kitchen gadget department at Walmart and other stores is really good for straining. 

I use mine all the time.

False

I imagine you have a little bit of time before your tomatoes are ready, so why not just go buy some cheesecloth?  It really is the best thing to use in recipes that call for cheescloth.

False

Handi Wipes.  I've used them in place of cheese cloth when I drained frying oil.  Works great and you can cut them to the size you need, just like the cheese cloth!

False
    I'll gladly pay you tomorrow for a hamburger today - Wimpy

When I make my V-8 juice, I just leave the peppers, onion, celery, etc. in large pieces, like 1/2 onion, quarter the pepper, about 5 inch stalks of celery, ( you get the idea). When juice is cooked & ready to jar, use a large slotted spoon or a 'spider' to dip out the veggy's. Discard. So much easier, that way you do not have to mess with the hot liquid. Then just ladle into the jars & seal....I don't even water bath mine. I have never had any problems either....

False