Corn dog question | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Corn dog question

Last post May 03, 2009 11:30 AM by Callie123 . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • Corn dog question

I am going to be making corn dogs from scratch tomorrow for dinner.  The recipe calls for putting a wooden skewer through the dog, and then fry.  I do not have a deep fryer and I also do not have any wooden skewers.

What I need to ask, if I coat the dogs in the cornmeal mixture, can I throw them in the pan with oil as is and turn them once one side is browned?  I am assuming it would work, but if anyone has any other ideas, they will be welcomed.

Oh, almost forgot, what else tastes good as side dishes with corn dogs, other than cole slaw?  Also, what condiment is good with corn dogs?

False

Everything is okay in the end, if it's not okay, then it's not the end.

• Re: Corn dog question

I don't know about sides, but I almost always have catsup on my corn dogs.  I think a chili cheese mixture would be good.

False
    Ann

I have never made any from scratch.  I buy the Bryan corn dogs.  We always open a can of Hormel chil w/ beans to dip our corn dogs in.  We eat a green salad, also. 

False

Love mustard on corn dogs.  

Linda_Rae has a really good recipe for corn dogs.  Try PMing her with your questions.

False

Some days, I can literally see the testosterone floating in the air around here. 

I don't think it will work. The atter/dough will spread in a pan

I suggest you fix something else and next time you go to a dollar store, pick up some skewers. You can deep fry in any deep, tall  and narrow pan.. You can only fry two of them at the time unless you have more than 2 hands.

Stick the skewers 3/4 of the length of the wiener, coat with batter and immediately immerse in deep fat (350 degrees). While in the dollar store, buy a deep fry thermometer (candy thermometer).

PS, you could bake the wieners into a big pan of cornbread until you get set up for deep frying. Put your cornbread batter in a 9 X 13" pan and then distribute the dogs in a row and push them in a bit. The you can cut  slices with  dogs in  them. (less fat that way, too)

False

I agree with a green salad as a side instead of slaw. Salad and a helping of baked bens goes with corn dogs like:

Love and Marriage go together like a hose and carriage.......

False

Got any popsicle sticks...or taffy apple sticks?  I also agree that it's quite possible that while you're frying the 1st side...the batter is going to be sliding off the top & sides in the pan.  Maybe if it's a really stiff batter it'll be OK.  And, I like mustard on my  hot dogs :-)  I would think french fries, potato chips, fresh veggies...relish tray w/carrots, celery, peppers cut into slides & raw cauliflower, broccoli....w/the fried corn dogs...you might want to get some fresh veggies in.  Or, once you've got the grease hot...make your own potato chips or fries. 

False

Use a pan or dutch oven deep enough that when you drop in the dog the entire thing is in hot oil. I have done them in my electric skillet which is deep enough and it worked fine. make sure you soak the skewers in water first. Also I use the cheese filled dog.

False

What time is Dinner?! Surprise

Seriously though, I always have Mustard with my Corn Dogs.  How 'bout some Potato Chips on the side?

Good Luck & Happy Cooking!

Krissy~~~ 

False

I would vote for chips, cole slaw and baked beans. I think you need the sticks.

False

Rebecca

I saw them made on food network once. Either Alton Brown or Sandra Lee did them. They just put oil in a deep skillet and the stick stuck out over the side of the pan. They turned it several times so the batter would stay on the dog. You could probably go to the website and search it.

Another tip is to buy a tube of refrigerated cornbread dough strips and wrap them around the dog and fry that way. Not bad.

False

I'm not psycho.....I just like psychotic things.

Adria's World

This takes you to the video.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/perfect-corndogs/1508.html

OK, I see now he used a home size individual deep fryer but I'm sure your water boiling pan would work or fry daddy or whatever you have.

False

I'm not psycho.....I just like psychotic things.

Adria's World

I never use sticks in my corn dogs.  Just coat the hot dogs and drop them in a pot with about 3 inches of hot oil in there.  I also cut them in thirds first.  We eat ours on a plate with a fork and dip them in mustard.

False

I made a ton of corn dogs for our block party a couple of years ago.  Because we all make loads of food and share it, I cut the hot dogs in half, coated them, droped them in hot oil (WITHOUT STICKS) and cooked them slightly under done.  I did all that ahead of time.   And just popped them on the grill, over very low heat, to warm them up when it was time to eat.  They worked out just fine.  I'd recommend, if you're not using sticks, that you make sure you have decent tongs for working with the hot oil.  But you'll have no problem doing them without sticks.

False