grape leaves and pickles | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

grape leaves and pickles

Last post Oct 26, 2009 1:20 AM by Sabayon . 4 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
  • grape leaves and pickles

I have seen on several post for making pickles that grape leaves are called for, I think that it is for making the pickles crisp.  My question, is this just regular grape leaves off of my vines or is it something that you have to buy?  I want to make some dill pickles that are crisp.  I appreciate any input!

Mamajack

False
  • Re: grape leaves and pickles

I'm pretty sure it's just ordinary grape leaves, like from your vines.

False

So what?  Big deal.
    --Closing lines of Buckaroo Banzai Beyond the 8th Dimension, AND of my childhood mix tapes.

my great grandma just went to her grape arbor and picked leaves.. washed them and stuck them in the jars...  she always made part of her pickleswith grape leaves and part with Alum... personally.. the ones with Alum were crisper!  I have made them both ways as well.. and had much better luck with Alum...the pickles were much crisper...biggest secret to crisp pickles is FRESH>>>> Cukes... try to get them in the jars and pickled within 2 hours...the longer they are off the vine the softer your pickles will be....

False

Old age ain't no place for sissies . -Bette Davis-

You can use any sort of grape leaves, even ones from wild grapes. They do help keep the pickles firm but also help them stay a bit greener. My grandmother always added both alum and grape leaves to the ones she processed in the quart jars. When I make them in the crock, I just use the grape leaves.

False

Hey mamajack...........the grape leaves are so the cucs don't get mushy , and you can use any kind of grape leaves............DONT FORGET TO CLEAN THEM REALLY WELL!!!

I hope they come out well, mine always do..

Good Luck

False