Question? Can you use vegetable oil instead of shortening? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Question? Can you use vegetable oil instead of shortening?

Last post Jul 30, 2009 4:49 PM by Lady Fingers . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • Question? Can you use vegetable oil instead of shortening?

You can tell what kind of baker i am. LOL

I haven't bought shortening in years.

I found a Blackberry cake recipe I want to try, if my blackberries are still good I picked a couple days ago. It calls for fresh berries.

False

catmint

• Re: Question? Can you use vegetable oil instead of shortening?

Dear Catmint

try butter!

or these recipes

Enjoy your blackberries

Twinkle

Blackberry Cake

3 cups blackberries, fresh or frozen unsweetened

1 tablespoon sugar (or to taste)

3/4 cup ( 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened

2/3 cup sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

3 large eggs

1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt (rounded measure)

1 1/2 teaspoons minced or grated lemon zest

Vanilla Yogurt (frozen or regular), optional

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray an 8-inch-square pan or its equivalent with nonstick spray.

Place the blackberries in a bowl and toss gently with 1 tablespoon sugar (or more, if they are very tart or underripe). Set aside.

In a medium-sized mixing bowl, cream the butter with 2/3 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and the eggs one at a time, beating well after each.

In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt and lemon zest. Stir this into the butter mixture until well combined, and fold in the berries at the end.

Turn the batter into the prepared pan. Bake 45 minutes to an hour, or until the top is uniformly golden and springy to the touch. Cool on a rack for at least 15 minutes before serving. Serve with vanilla yogurt, if desired. Makes 6 or more servings.

Blackberry Cake

4 large eggs 1 cup granulated sugar 3/4 cup butter 1 cup blackberry preserves (seedless) 1 cup buttermilk 1 teaspoon baking soda 2 cups all-purpose flour 1 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, allspice & nutmeg Pinch salt
    1. Put soda in buttermilk and mix well.
    2. Cream sugar and butter. Add beaten eggs and preserves; remainder of ingredients.
    3. Bake at 375*F (190*C) in regular oven, in three 9-inch cake pans until fork or wooden pick comes out clean.
    Cream Cheese Frosting 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese 1 (1-pound) package confectioner's sugar 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter 1 tablespoon cream 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1. Cream cheese and butter; add flavoring, sugar and cream; mix well and apply to cake, between layers and then over entire cake. Bon Appetite
    False
    You are welcome to visit my blog...http://cherryblossomtable.blogspot.com/

I don't recommend substituting a liquid for a solid, it will will affect the texture of the cake.  Chances are you'll have to cream the shortening with sugar and you can't do that with cooking oilBig Smile

Stacey

False

Thanks,

Twinkle, I picked up some butter yesterday, but, they didn't have unsalted, and I got salted. I should have waited. I need to go get some sour cream for the recipe anyway, so, I might get some unsalted and use it. I did find another recipe, on a Miller family recipe site, and she said you can sub shortening for 1 stick of margarine. I am out of that too. LOL but, maybe butter would be better than margarine. Just not salted?

False

catmint

if you have salted butter use it...just use less salt in the recipe....

False

It's not how you start, it's how you end....so end strong!!

Walk yourself strong!!

For most recipes it won't matter, but butter and margarine both have some liquid in them, while shortening is all oil.  So if you want to get as close as possible to the recipe's projected outcome, use slightly more butter or margaring than the amount of shortening you're replacing and slightly less liquid or sour cream.  Just slightly--no more than 1/2 teaspoon per stick of butter, I'd think.

False

So what?  Big deal.
    --Closing lines of Buckaroo Banzai Beyond the 8th Dimension, AND of my childhood mix tapes.

thanks!

False

catmint

Catmint, since you are going to the store anyway, why not pick up some Butter Flavored Crisco in the sticks...that way you won't have a can of the shortening sitting around taking up space.

False

Thanks, Jo. I saw something like that when I got the salted butter. I wasn't sure about them. I think this was the I CAn't Believe it is Butter one, though. It was a cooking, baking sticks?

False

catmint

If it were me I would get the crisco sticks...I don't know about the other.

False

Shortening is highly hydrogenated oil and is NOT good for you. I have never used it for baking but do use it to very lightly grease my baking pans. Oil or oil sprays will burn and leave yucky brown deposits on your pans that are hard to get off..

My father never used shortening in the bakery, only butter and peanut oil for some of the breads that needed a little oil. He only  used a litle bit of shorteneing to grease pans.

When  a recipe calls for unsalted butter and also calls for salt forget  the salt and just use salted butter. That is what I do and the many pound cakes and others I have baked have all turned out fine. Unsalted butter is very expensive and has to be kept frozen since it spoils faster than salted butter.  I only use it for very delicate things when a recipe does not call for any salt and it is absolutely necessary to use unsalted butter.

Some of my recipes call for butter and shortening, I have always just used butter and never had a problem or a failure because of it.

False

Thanks, Grelo, I didn't know that unsalted butter went bad soon.

False

catmint

Unsalted and salted butter are the same price here.  I buy unsalted on sale and freeze it. 

False

The secret of happiness is not in doing what one likes, but in liking what one has to do. ~Barrie

Math is fun!

Click for Soldotna, Alaska Forecast

Salted and unsalted are the same price here, too.

I also freeze it, but I double wrap it first, because otherwise it picks up smells and flavors from the freezer.

False

So what?  Big deal.
    --Closing lines of Buckaroo Banzai Beyond the 8th Dimension, AND of my childhood mix tapes.