Do they have some kind of irritant or poison in them?I have little bumps on the back of my hand which have been itching all week. I was eating wild blackberries last weekend, and I know I got poked by a few thorns. That's the only cause I can think of.
The berry bramble is in my yard, so I know I didn't encounter any poison ivy while getting to them.So what do you think? Is this an allerigic reaction, an irritant reaction, or do I have micro-splinters from the thorns?
I'm treating it with betadine at home and benedryl during the day. Either one seems to work for about an hour, or until the next time something brushes across the back of my hand.
So what? Big deal.--Closing lines of Buckaroo Banzai Beyond the 8th Dimension, AND of my childhood mix tapes.
Just wondering, have you been picking any beans? Or do you have an outside dog that could have swiped some poison onto you? I am breaking out on my arms again, and behind my ear. Just got the other cleared up. This year is the worse for poison.
I break out from bean poisoning, when picking them. The vines irritate me.
Hi Ladyfingers I don't know the answer to your questions but I have the same problem with so many different plants it's not funny... My guess is that they must have an irritant in the stickers and that would be the reason for the irritation to hang on... you must be allerigic.... I know I am... Right now the trees in our neighbors yard are dropping little yellow flowers all over our back deck and they just drive me nuts... My Asthma and allergies are sooo bad right now that I have to take predisone to keep from going batty.... and special eye drops because my eyes are soo ichey it is soooo bad... Hopefully it will go away soon
Nope. No beans, no dogs, and the cats only go out with me (in the yard).
I picked berries and plums... I supose it's possible that a deer came through the yard and got poison ivy on the berry branches. I have been seeing their mementos in the side yard lately.
I never see the deer, but from their tracks it seems they come through at night, leaping the fences as they run down the hill.
LF, I am sensitive to stuff like this too. I was picking blackberries 2 days ago and everywhere that I got caught with the thorns I am left with a red bump resembling poison ivy which itches and weeps slightly.
If I get a mosquito bite, it swells to a red lump and itches like the dickens for days before it finally goes away.
I think its a defense mechinism in the plant.....but not enough to stop me from picking them for sure!!!
I hope someone has an answer because I have that problem picking green beans and strawberries. I try to wear gloves and/or long sleeves. I leave the blackberry and wineberry picking to dh. lol
Lisa, that's exactly the reaction I got. Little red bumps which almost look like tiny blisters.
For mosquito bites, the best cure I've ever found is toothpaste. Just a dab. The mint soothes the itch, and as it dries the paste draws the poison out. Must be paste, though. The gels don't work.
Don't get bittne by one of the huge horseflys. I got bit on the leg a couple summers back, and my whole leg swelled up.
Pick blackberries very early in the morning before it gets hot, then you can wer a denim jacket to protect yur arms. Buy an old pair of leather gloves in a thriftshop and cut psrt if the fingers off (about an inch or so) and waer those gloves. The jacket will protect your arms and the gloves protect the tops of your hands and most of your fingers. I used to go to Ft Lewis gunnery range where there were virtual forests of blackberries (some of the old canes were 2" and more in diameter) and pick nberries by the galklon. Also took a long stick with ametal hook on the end, that way I could bend the canes towards without having to try to get very close or into those big bushes.
No, I did not use all the berries but gave most away to friends, it was a great place to let my dogs run. At the time Red was carpentershop foreman and our cars had tags to go on post. It also a great place for mushrooms and had some abandoned orchards with free fruit for the pickng.
Now to beans. You may have noticed that leaves of beans arenot shiny, even after a rain. They are covered with microscopic "hairs" that break off and get imbedded in your skin and irritate the dickens out of it. Just like broken glass wool insulation, that is why folks who install insulation wear masks and protective clothing (you don't want to inhale the stuff, it would be like inhaling asbestos fibers).
When picking beans I always wore a tightly woven long sleeved shirt (I used one of Red's old white shirts) and also took a pair of light old cotton gloves and cut the fingertips off. Never had any irritation on arms or hands. Washed the shirt and gloves after each use.
That is what my parents did and where I learned it.
You can imagine picking beans when it is hot and you are damp from prespiration or when you have lotion or sunscreen on those "hairs" will really clng to your arms and work themselves into your skin.
Pick early in the morning and wear something to protect your skin.
Grelo, I actually considered, after the first couple of thorns got me, going back to the house for my gardening gloves. But I just threw out my old pair, because the thorn fragments had gradually worked their way through to the inside. I decided I wasn't ready to ruin my new pair, and so I am paying the price this week.
Maybe I need thin leather driving gloves like I got for my husband.
I think some people have more sensitive skin than others. I cannot stand to be around Lantana. If it touches my skin I itch for days.
yes I think they do. same thing happened to me. I was helping some neighbor boys pick blackberries and got my arm caught in the thorns. It itched and I itched it not thinking anything of it, and then the 3rd day i had little red bumps and some little blisters. I kept applying a baking soda paste to dry it up and then went to the store and got some caladryl. Since it is on a part of my arm that would easliy come in contact with other parts of my body(especially when I sleep)(and did spread to my stomach) I kept bandages on it. The blisters have gotten worse instead of better. been taking benadryl before bed and I am getting more blisters. I know it was the blackberries since that is the area I got the skin caught in thorns. I found out the little boys got it too and the parents treated it with antibiotic cream and it seemed to help so that is what I am going to do tonight is apply the cream and put bandages back on. A friend of mine, who is active outdoors with hiking, camping, etc., said she has seen people break out from the blackberries.And then I am wondering if there were pesticides sprayed on it too? so if I find anything else that would help will let you know. from one sufferer to another.
© RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC 2014