Bible Times Recipes, GOT ANY???? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Bible Times Recipes, GOT ANY????

Last post Aug 06, 2009 2:42 PM by SimpleSoul . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • Bible Times Recipes, GOT ANY????

Our DVBS at church is themed 'Bible Times' for this year.  Any recipes, tips, info about cooking would be GREATLY and GRACIOUSLY appreciated.  The kids will be snacking on some of the things we prepare.  They will also be included in some of the preparation, so should be a fun as well as learning experience.  Thanks in advance!!!!  Smile

False
    KarenV-WI
  • Re: Bible Times Recipes, GOT ANY????

Nope, but I would be interested in any also.

False

You can put lace on a frog, but he's still gonna defecate on your porch. 

You can find recipes on the internet really fast. Just google food recipes from the Bible. I know raisins and sourdough bread were eaten then .
    False

Our church did something like that but I didn't pay much attention because I don't have a youngster anymore.  

I seem to recall they had out dates, olives, hummus/tabouli, flatbread, sweet potatoes, and some kind of lamb casserole.      

False
    somewhere in my collection, I have a recipe for Scripture Cake. I will see if I can find it and then post it for you. SG
    False

I have a very difficult time deciphering the line between boredom and hunger.

Scottsgrace, this site includes a recipe for Scripture Cake.  Is it the same as yours?  Isn't that a fun recipe!

This also has several other recipes that may fit your request, especially since this will be for Vacation Bible School kids.  Good luck with this!  It sounds like alot of great fun!! Blessings to you and all who attend!

http://www.dltk-kids.com/recipesdb/viewbycourse.asp?cid=45

False

With mirth and laughter let old wrinkles come...Shakespeare

The day the LORD created hope was probably the same day that HE created Spring...Bern Williams

Click for Lexington, Kentucky Forecast

Simple soul - yes, that's it and I'll paste it belo. The other recipes sound interesting too. The only difference is that I've never made it with the syrup. Somehow the title of the syrup is a little disturbing if you think about it. Angel I just drizzled mine with a powdered sugar icing. Hope this helps you. The site has some really neat recipes. What a great find! SG

Old Scripture Cake

Contributed by Helen.  Thank-you!

The famous “OLD SCRIPTURE” cake.  If you know your Bible well, this will pose no problems.  If you don’t know it quite that well, the translation will be at the end of the recipe.

CAKE

Ingredients:

• 3/4 cup Genesis 18:8
    • 1 1/2 cup Jeremiah 6:20
    • 5 Isaiah 10:14 (separated)
    • 3 cups sifted Leviticus 24:5
    • 3 teaspoons 2 Kings 2:20
    • 3 teaspoons Amos 4:5
    • 1 teaspoon Exodus 3:23
    • 1/4 teaspoon each 2 Chronicles 9:9
    • 1/2 cup Judges 4:19
    • 3/4 chopped Genesis 43:11
    • 3/4 cup finely cut Jeremiah 24:5
    • 3/4 cup 2 Samuel 16:1
    • Whole Genesis 43:11

Directions:

• Cream Genesis 18 with Jeremiah 6. Beat in yolks of Isaiah 10, one at a time. Sift together Leviticus 24; 2 Kings 2; Amos 4; Exodus 30; and 2 Chronicles 9.
    • Blend into creamed mixture alternately with Judges 4. Beat whites of Isaiah 10 till stiff; fold in. Fold in chopped Genesis 43; Jeremiah 24; and 2 Samuel 16. Turn into 10-inch tube pan that has been greased and dusted with Leviticus 24.
    • Bake at 325 degrees F until it is golden brown or Gabriel blows his trumpet, whichever happens first. Bake for an hour and ten minutes. Remove from oven. After fifteen minutes, remove it from the pan. Cool completely. Drizzle over it some Burnt Jeremiah Syrup.

BURNT JEREMIAH SYRUP

Ingredients:

• 1 1/2 cups Jeremiah 6:20
    • 1/2 cup Genesis 24:45
    • 1/4 cup Genesis 18:8

Directions:

• Melt Jeremiah 6 in a heavy skillet over low heat. Keep cooking it till it is a deep gold, then add Genesis 24. Cook till smooth and remove from the heat. Add Genesis 18 and stir till it melts, then cool.
    • After drizzling this on the Scripture Cake, you can decorate it with whole Genesis.
    False

I have a very difficult time deciphering the line between boredom and hunger.

Wheat (Genesis 30:14)

Pound Cake

Ingredients:

• 1 cup whole wheat flour
    • 1/2 cup all purpose flour
    • 1 cup sugar
    • 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
    • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1/3 cup cooking oil
    • 2/3 cup milk
    • 2 beaten eggs
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
    2. Grease and flour loaf pan. Set aside.
    3. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
    4. Mix in remaining ingredients. Beat until smooth.
    5. Spoon batter into prepared pan. Bake 60 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center cake comes out clean.
    6. Cool 5 minutes and remove from pan. Cool completely.

Pistachio nuts (Genesis 43:11)

Pistachio ice cream served in small cups and topped with whipped cream.

Apples and Raisins (Song of Songs 2:5)

Apple Oatmeal Raisin Bread

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup Quaker oats
    • 5/8 to 3/4 cup water
    • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
    • 1-1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1-1/2 tablespoon butter, softened
    • 2 tablespoon brown sugar
    • 2-3/4 cups bread flour
    • 1-1/2 tablespoon nonfat dry milk powder
    • 1/3 cup raisins
    • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
    • 2 teaspoon active dry yeast

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
    2. Grease the bottom only of a bread pan.
    3. Mix all ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix with a wooden spoon until smooth. If it seems too dry, add more water until it is moist, but not wet.
    4. Bake for 50-60 minutes, checking periodically to make sure the top is not burning. Stick a wooden toothpick in the center to test for doneness. If the toothpick comes out clean, it is done.

Cinnamon (Exodus 30:23)

Cinnamon Apple Smoothie

Ingredients:

• 1 cup milk
    • 1 cup vanilla yogurt
    • 1 small apple
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    • Handful of ice cubes

Directions:

1. Wash and peel apple. Cut up into cubes and take out the seeds.
    2. Add all of the ingredients in a blender and blend for one minute or until it is smooth.

Cheese (2 Samuel 17:29)

Cheesecake

Ingredients:

• Graham cracker pie crust (grocery store)
    • 1 cup granulated sugar
    • 24 ounces of softened cream cheese
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    • 2 eggs
    • 8 ounces sour cream

Directions:

1. Combine sugar with cream cheese, eggs vanilla and sour cream. Blend until smooth.
    2. Pour over the graham cracker crust.
    3. Bake at 350F degrees for 30 minutes.
    4. Turn off the oven and leave the cheesecake inside for another 30 minutes.
    5. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.

Here is a great web site for you

http://www.cookingwiththebible.com/

False
    In loving memory of Suzy

ScottsGrace
    I'll paste it belo.

Thank you so much for pasting the recipe - I should have done that myself!  I was in a hurry and didn't take the time but I should have done so.  Thanks! And I could not agree with you more about  the title of the syrup! LOL!  I like your approach much better! No Burnt Jeremiah for me, thank you very much! LOL!

One more suggestion. This is another very good site for folks who are interested in cooking biblically.  It is called Cooking with the Bible: http://www.cookingwiththebible.com/recipes.aspx

This site has recipes, blogs - lots of great info, including scripture reference. It also has menu plans for 18 complete meals, taken from the scriptures!!

Here is an example of a menu called Entertaining Angels Unawares :http://www.cookingwiththebible.com/meals.aspx#GR3410-102

Entertaining Angels Unawares

I enjoy just reading through this site because of what I have learned.  This isn't geared to kids like the other site that I posted was, but this one might appeal more to the adults in attendance. And, you could also adapt the menus to fit your children's curriculum. . 

I  hope that you find what you are looking for! Let us know if we can help you further!  Good Luck!  Let us  know how it turns out! 

False

With mirth and laughter let old wrinkles come...Shakespeare

The day the LORD created hope was probably the same day that HE created Spring...Bern Williams

Click for Lexington, Kentucky Forecast