Bank of America refuses to allow American flags on property for funeral procession of US Marine | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Bank of America refuses to allow American flags on property for funeral procession of US Marine

Last post Sep 23, 2009 3:03 PM by hm28 . 47 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 4 (48 items) 1234
  • Bank of America refuses to allow American flags on property for funeral procession of US Marine

In Gaffney, SC, the branch manager of Bank of America removed flags placed in the grass next to the sidewalk in front of the bank. The small flags were placed along the funeral route to honor Lance Corporal Christopher Fowlkes, 20, who was killed last week in Afghanistan.

An elderly neighbor of the soldier's family had placed the flags along both sides of the street last Thursday before the funeral. She noticed later that there were no flags in front of the bank and thought maybe she had just missed that spot. She went back and as she began to put flags out, the branch manager ran outside and told her she could not do that.

The bank manager told the woman that the flags might offend some customers and their policy was no flags of any kind, including the American flag. The manager said she pulled the other flags up and if the woman wanted them back she could come inside and get them.

I regret that I don't have a Bank of America account that I could have the pleasure of closing.

Bank of America later apologized for the incident and called it a "misunderstanding."

False
  • Re: Bank of America refuses to allow American flags on property for funeral procession of US Marine

AlabamaNeeNee
    The bank manager told the woman that the flags might offend some customers

Wow, imagine being offended by the national flag, how sad! 

Reminds me of when I worked at a local restraunt that had a very high percentage of tourist.  There was one American couple who were obviously very bitter people. (you havent heard complaining until you served them!!) They were in the middle of BC, had a long way until they were out of Canadian soil.  they paid in American money, that was fine.  but for change, they were given Canadian money.  That is policy, we didn't stock American money, why should we, we are far far away from the border, and American stores don't even accept Canadian money.  So this couple got so upset that we gave them Canadian money!  They asked what they were suppose to do with the play money.  Well, the boss was dealing with them, and she kept her cool, and she dealt gently with them.  But HELLO!!  They were in the middle of Canadian soil, and they were offended that they were just handed usless Canadian money!

It's people like them that ruin it for the other 99% of the population.

False
  • Re: Bank of America refuses to allow American flags on property for funeral procession of US Marine

I don't know about the explanation that the flags might offend customers, but the woman was wrong to place the flags on the bank's lawn without asking permission first.  That would have bothered me in the first place, but for her to come along and do it a second time....  Nope.  That's just incredibly rude on her part.

False

I don't often get asked to define irony, but when I do, I always say,

"Why, yes.  Yes, I AM a Field Editor for Taste of Home."

This is the same tactic that some are employing against ACORN... why does this taint Bank of America as a whole to the extent that someone in another state would close their account with the bank (if they had one, that is)?

It was a branch manager at one location who made a stupid move. It does sound like that manager doesn't understand something about their corporate policies. So what? Happens every day at businesses all over the country. Remember the fast food manager who kicked out a 6-month old kid and the mommy because the kid didn't have shoes on? Same thing. Dumb thing for the manager to do, but that's about it.

And I am sick of people trying to make big issues of such things and seeking publicity over it. Their behavior is really as bad as what they're whining about.

False
        I believe in God. Only I spell it N-a-t-u-r-e. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

sorry cik....i do not agree...i sort of get your point, but thats what i don't agree with, but i don't think it was RUDE?????? Actually, the bank mgr. was rude!!!  and i guess his superiors thought the same thing!!  i thought it was nice of the woman to try to honor  the marine...

False

I think the bank manager was a woman, ct.

And while I agree, it is nice that this other woman wanted to honor the fallen Marine, common courtesy dictates that you do not place things on lawns that do not belong to you without asking permission.  Courtesy can't just be put on hold because of who is being buried.   The woman SHOULD have asked permission.  There's no way around that.

Had the woman shown the courtesy of asking permission in the first place, she might well have been denied anyway.  But perhaps the Branch Manager might have called her district office to clarify the policy.  Or the woman could have called herself.  At any rate, the Branch Manager was acting within the bounds of what she believed was company policy.  B of A has stated that she was mistaken.  If the woman placing the flags had asked permission ahead of time the whole situation might have been cleared up ahead of time.  But because she did not show that slight courtesy, what we now have is a situation that can no longer be resolved and people like the originator of this thread attempting to spread the word that because of the mistake of one Branch Manager, the entire institution is somehow unpatriotic.  And you know how fired up these radical patriots get.  Within a week, email inboxes are going to be flooded with only half the story.  So much misunderstanding could have been prevented had the woman simply shown the courtesy of asking permission in the first place.

False

There is a lot unsaid in the article.  Did the bank manager even know there was a funeral passing by, or did she just know that corporate policy says not to let people post things on the property.  Did the policy say anything including or excluding US flags?

I do think that the woman posting the flags should have asked first.  If someone stuck flags in my lawn without discussing it with me, I'd probably remove them too.

Lack of communication, more than misunderstanding.  The woman should have asked if she could post the flags, and the manager, after being informed of the reason, could have called corporate management and asked whether this was an acceptable exception to the policy.

False

A lot of this is folk memories and cultural hangovers.

cast_iron_king
    common courtesy dictates that you do not place things on lawns that do not belong to you without asking permission. 

Some people with dogs to it all the time. They let their dogs poop on the lawn without premissioin. I wonder of this manager runs out everytime some dog poops on the lawn, picks it up and then tell the person it's not permitted. Maybe not, perhaps poop doesn't offend some people, as much as the American Flag..

False

Put On A Happy Face

Here, there are different businesses and groups that place small American flags all along streets on different occasions, like Memorial Day or 4th of July. I'm sure they don't ask permission to do that. But maybe that's because they place them right along the street and that area belongs to the municipality, rather than to the homeowner? I'm not sure about that. But I'd guess that if the flags were placed on a person's property and they didn't want them there, the property owner could just remove them. Of course, that wouldn't make the news or anything. I think the B of A 'story that isn't really much of a story' is getting attention only because it's connected to the funeral.

False
        I believe in God. Only I spell it N-a-t-u-r-e. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

Ridiculous!  I hope those closest to that incident let that bank manager know that rudeness in placing american flags without permission is more tolerable than someone getting their knickers in a knot over american flags being placed. Her time is better spent making sure her customers are being served, and that no one is putting graffiti on the back wall.

False

homesweethome
    Some people with dogs to it all the time. They let their dogs poop on the lawn without premissioin. I wonder of this manager runs out everytime some dog poops on the lawn, picks it up and then tell the person it's not permitted. Maybe not, perhaps poop doesn't offend some people, as much as the American Flag..

That is a specious argument.  Do you ever actually think about what you post, or are you just getting in typing practice?

False

AlabamaNeeNee
    The bank manager told the woman that the flags might offend some customers and their policy was no flags of any kind, including the American flag. The manager said she pulled the other flags up and if the woman wanted them back she could come inside and get them.

Hi NeeNee, 

Well, Bank Of America offended me. Where is my letter of apology?

False

You people on the right must wake up in the moring with terribly sore legs from all this kneejerking.

Keeping up with all these daily hissy fits over some trifling, manufactured offense to your delicate sense of conservative proprety just wears me out.

False

"Wit is educated insolence." Aristotle

AlabamaNeeNee

Hi NeeNee, 

Well, Bank Of America offended me. Where is my letter of apology?

False

wait, where is Barbara Anne, she will be LIVID!  Stick out tongue

False