Freezing christmas cookies and candy | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Freezing christmas cookies and candy

Last post Nov 02, 2009 9:20 AM by enjoynature . 14 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
  • Freezing christmas cookies and candy

Well here it is November first and I am thinking of christmas cookies.This year I would like to bake them and freeze them so am not so rushed later (In December, trying to get them all done). Does anyone know if it is OK to start making my cut-outs (gingerbread people and sugar cookies) now and freezing them? Would they still be good  for christmas? I figured I could bake them now and place them in tupperwares separated by sheets of parchment paper.Will this work? I would put 1 type of each cookie in each tupper so flavors don't get mixed but have never done this before.  Can I do candy also (peanut butter cups and home made mounds)? Any advice you all have would be greatly appreciated.Thank you-

False

"Practice random acts of kindness"

• Re: Freezing christmas cookies and candy

Hi Budzmom.    I have baked and frozen cut outs before with no problem.  I have also frozen fudge.

Suggestion, post your question also over in recipes as there are lots of gals over there that do a lot of baking and you may get some more suggestions besides here in KC.

False

I useally don't do mine much before a month ahead. I think if you packaged them right it would be fine. I freeze my sugar cookies and then ice when Im gonna use them
    False

gkids- thanks, I will do that.I have frozen fudge before but never cookies or other kids of candy. I will wander over to recipes and post this.Thanks-

False

My mother used to make and freeze most of her Christmas cookies...Not in a freezer,,,,but upstairs, the section that wasn't insulated much...We lived way up north...She would just take them out an hour or two before we needed them... Were great....She always froze the fudge that way too, and spritz cookies....

False

There's another option--one I use every year.  Make your doughs ahead of time, and freeze in ziplock bags.  Be sure to label with the type of dough, and cooking instructions.  Any fat-based (butter/margarine/crisco) recipe should freeze well. 

Then, as needed in Dec.  You can bake up fresh hot cookies in minutes.  You don't even have to defrost the dough--as a matter of fact, I find most cookies are BETTER if you put them in the oven frozen.  I just use a metal cookie scoop to shapd the dough.  If you're doing rolled or molded cookies, of course, you would need to defrost so the dough can be handled easier.  Some people scoop the dough onto waxed paper covered cookie sheets, freeze them, then pop into ziplock bags and keep in the freezer until needed.  What I like about this method--you get all the mess out of the way early.  But you can still have fresh cookies, and that wonderful Christmasy aroma throughout the month, with very little trouble.

Fat based, baked cookies do freeze well, of course, but you do have to be really careful of the thinner, more fragile ones or you'll be making a lot of crumb crusts for the holidays.  And there are so many limits on freezing--you don't want to freeze any that are decorated with colored sugar, because any condensation during thawing is going to make the sugar bleed.  Icing can get messed up during the freezing or thawing process.  You can't freeze a lot of specialty cookies (things like meringues, for instance).

As to freezing candy.  Temperature changes are what causes bloom--that nasty grayish, powdery coating you see on some chocolates.  It's not unsafe to eat, but it's very unsightly and makes the chocolate look 'old'.  I wouldn't freeze any chocoate-coated candy.  You probably could make your mixture for the centers, and freeze that--then just coat as needed. 

It may sound like a small thing to freeze your cookie doughs, and candy centers ahead, but you'd be amazed how much work and mess you save if you've done all the measuring, mixing, etc ahead.  You can always find a few minutes to bake a couple of trays of cookies, if the dough's ready and waiting for you in the freezer.

False

I used to put baked cookies in my bir Rubbermaid containers.  No problem.  Actually, the ones I did stayed good for a long time.  I'd go ahead and start now.  Shouldn't be a problem.  I didn't wrap mine, just maybe saran layer in between so they separate easily.  Lots of different opinions.

False

I have made many different kinds of cookies and frozen them. I use to work in a bakery and you would be surprised on what comes in already made and what is just place in an oven and baked.

I usually start baking Holiday cookies in October to have ready for Thanksgiving, and for different gatherings  to attend in December. Even throughout the year I will bake cookies and have them stored for a while in the freezer.  

Sugar cookies, gingerbread cookies can be made and frozen. They can even be iced. I have done it countless times. Your blues, black, and red colors in icing can bleed. But frozen or regular made these colors can be tempermental. Didn't you ever notice even cakes are iced and frozen decorate? Cookies can be done too.

I use either  plastic containers or even several plastic bags and freeze my cookies. I will even place them on a strafoam plate and cover them with plastic bags. I use wax paper to line the cookies.

Here is a list of several of the cookies I have made and I will post what candy I have made and frozen after the cookies

chocolate chip

peanutbutter

peanutbutter blossoms

butterscotch chip

peanutbutter chip

m & m

reese pieces cookies

snickerdoodle

tea tassies filled with different fillings

monster cookies

sugar cookie iced

gingerbread iced

snowball

raisin filled

pecan balls

chocolate drops

gingersnap

cherry drops

oatmeal

cakemix cookies

coconut

pumpkin

creamcheese nuts

sugar cookies sprinkles with jello

lemon drops

ranger cookies

dishpan cookies

chocolate crinkles

thumbprint

I know I have done more kinds of cookies, I am at a blank right now on what.

Candy

peanutbutter eggs

coconut

potato candy

I know I think it was candykisses on recipes that does fudge and freezes her fudge.

False

Ladies- thanks for the advice! I had not planned on icing the cookies, just baking them. Looks like I can freeze everything I  need to. I will start next Sunday with the baking (this means I will make the doughs Friday night)-  I thank you for your help.The holidays will be  here before  you know it- THIS YEAR I will not be so rushed--Thanks again- Budzmom

(Bud is my labrador who sleeps in the kitchen  and he begs with his eyes for cookies- he will benefit greatly from your advice too--LOL!)

False

When you freeze fudge, and then defrost it, does it change the texture.  I would think it would be moister and gummy.

False
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance.

Back in 2003, if anyone was on here then, everyone on here went through me baking for my daughters wedding that was in mid July.  I started baking in January!  I was told by an old baker how to freeze the cookies I was baking and have them taste as good as the day they were baked.

I bought pizza boxes, put a layer of waxed paper on the bottom, then a layer of cookies, top off with another layer of waxed paper.  Next using masking tape or freezer tape, seal ALL seams of the box then wrap the box in saran wrap and finally in freezer paper, sealing all seams again.  I kid you not, the Christmas after the wedding I found 3 boxes at the bottom of my freezer with assorted cookies that we had leftover and boxed, and they still tasted as fresh as ever!

False

When you freeze fudge, and then defrost it, does it change the texture.  I would think it would be moister and gummy.

I haven't tried freezing fudge. But I know if you do a google search you will see how many have done it and there input on it.  Go over on recipes, I still think it was Ladonna aka candykisses who freezes her fudge.

False