What in the world are mini lasagna noodles? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What in the world are mini lasagna noodles?

Last post Nov 24, 2009 10:44 AM by az_state_sundevil . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • What in the world are mini lasagna noodles?

I found this recipe for lasagna soup in our local newspaper. One of the drawbacks was it said to use 1 1/2 pds. of ground sirloin ($$$$) but I thought what the heck but instead I used ground round cuz it was on sale. Anyway it called for mini lasagna noodles and I had never heard of them in all my yrs. of cooking. I called 2 stores and they did not have them. On the 3rd. call they said yes. When I went to get them I could not find them at all. I ask a clerk to find them and he came back with, now get this, Mafalda. Now have you ever heard of this pasta?? They DO look like little reg. lasagna noodles and are made by Creamette. Any way I have it on simmering now and then I will add the pasta. Hope it turns out good. It smells fantastic. Anyone else use these?

False
  • Re: What in the world are mini lasagna noodles?

Mafalda pastas has been around for quite a while, but I never heard it called mini lasagna noodles.  But then, people make up names for things all the time.

The recipe sounds like a yummy one. I love lasagna, and in a bowl sounds great.

Barbara

False

Campanelle would work well too.  When I make Lasagna Soup I use cheese tortellini

True

Online Community / Field Editor Manager

Feel free to reach out to me anytime!

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sue.stetzel@RD.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

I have a recipe for skillet lasagna that calls for malfada noodles and I have used both malfada or you can substitue campanella in its place.

False

Not sure what the exact name is of the pasta I get -- but they're about 1/2" wide, and the length of a regular lasagna noodle.  I get them at a little, local pasta factory where the family makes everything themselves.  I really don't think theyr'e called Mafalda--I'd remember that name, because a woman named that once backed her car into my sister's car. 

But those narrow lasanga noodles are one of my favorite shapes.  They always seem to taste better to me (even though I'm sure the 'factory' uses the same dough for most of their products).

False

I have used mini lasagna noodles, otherwise known as mafalda, once. That was a few years ago, and I haven't been able to find them since. Anywhere. Not even online. Makes me sad, because they are adorable, and I'm anal about using exactly what is called for in a recipe. If a recipe calls for mafalda, then I want mafalda, not a substitution. If I do ever find them again, I'm buying a case and stashing them down in cold storage in the basement!

False