How much mold can a person eat 'safely'? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How much mold can a person eat 'safely'?

Last post Nov 30, 2009 11:26 PM by gr_elo . 17 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 12
  • How much mold can a person eat 'safely'?

I noticed last night after already eating one BLT sammich that the next piece of bread I pulled out had tiny little spots of mold growing near the edge. It was wheat bread so hard to see but it was there.

Now the fun question is did the two pieces of bread I had already eaten have tiny little mold spots on them and if they did...

Think I'll live? LOL

Just to be safe I drank a glass of water with apple cider vinegar in it right away. I figure if it will keep you from getting sick eating bad seafood it would handle a little mold allright.

False

I'm not psycho.....I just like psychotic things.

Adria's World

• Re: How much mold can a person eat 'safely'?
    I don't know the answer...maybe poision control would but you're apparently fine :-) There are all kinds of molds...some cheese have veins of mold. I once ate a piece of my grandmother's fruit cake...it was well after Christmas & I thought, because of it's heavy aolchol content it would keep a long time. After I ate about half the slice, my DH pointed out it looked really moldy on the other side...he was right...completely fuzzy - why I didn't notice, I have no idea...it had lots of citron...just thought it was moist. I was fine. It probably depends on how much mold you consume, what kind it is & how big you are.
    False

I think I'll live.

False

Adria's World

A small amount of wheat bread mold should not harm you, unless you're allergic to penecillin.  Rye bread mold is much more dangerous--could make you hallucinate, or could kill you.

False

So what?  Big deal.
    --Closing lines of Buckaroo Banzai Beyond the 8th Dimension, AND of my childhood mix tapes.

Wow wouldn't that be an interesting episode of House...patient eats moldy rye bread, hallucinates and is dying...

False

Adria's World

That is how they discovered penicilin (moldy bread). You are eating mold when you eat Blue Cheese or other veined cheeses.

I never heard of anybody dying from eating moldy rye bread, if that were so, half of all northern Europeans should have died many years ago. Perhaps you are thinking of rye grain/flour infested with Ergot (a toxic fungus found on the grain heads of rye but not on wheat)

Ergot is one reason I do not buy organic rye grain or flour. Had to throw  a 50 lbs sack of organic rye grain out because it had so much Ergot in it..

A little bit of mold on rye bread made with flour from  treated rye is not going to kill anybody.

False

Yes, Ergot was what I was thinking of.  I didn't realize that commercial rye flour was treated against it.

There is one theory that the accusers in the Salem Witch trials had eaten some toxic rye bread and truly thought they had seen the neighbors flying on broomsticks.

False

So what?  Big deal.
    --Closing lines of Buckaroo Banzai Beyond the 8th Dimension, AND of my childhood mix tapes.

Lady Fingers

--could make you hallucinate,

humm sounds interesting

False

Lady Fingers
    truly thought they had seen the neighbors flying on broomsticks.

Sounds logical to me!

False

Adria's World

rrpinin

Lady Fingers

--could make you hallucinate,

humm sounds interesting

NO NO NO,,LOL had the same thought, easy high OR die,,thats the question.
    False

Adria_NyxxTX
    I think I'll live.

I'm very, very happy to hear that, Dear Adria! Smile

FWIW, I think one can eat a lot of mold without too much complication.  Otherwise, there'd be no such thing as Blue Cheese. Wink

False

I myself am allergic to mold, take two prescription nasal sprays daily, and have accidently eaten a piece of bread now and then that had mold on it. Obviously, I am still here so I wouldn't worry. Don't you know penicillian is made from mold? Are you allergic to that drug? If not, not to worry.

False

Well, as it seems you made it through the night, I'd say it's a pretty safe bet you'll live to a grand old age!!

LOL.

False

I don't think I'm allergic to penecillan...penicillan?...

And I make it a point not to eat blue cheese 'cause ick....can't bring myself to knowingly eat mold... I shudder...

So, glad to be alive, glad you're glad I'm alive, now on to more dangerous food products.

Like Candy Cane Oreos. I'm SURE those will kill me if I eat too many of them.

False

Adria's World

Adria_NyxxTX
    Like Candy Cane Oreos. I'm SURE those will kill me if I eat too many of them.

But think of the very happy death you'll experience, Oh Dearest Chocolate Addict! Smile 

False