Keeping your Live Christmas Tree Watered | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Keeping your Live Christmas Tree Watered

Last post Dec 03, 2009 1:39 PM by MarthaM . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • Keeping your Live Christmas Tree Watered

I have read that the best way to keep your Christmas tree watered is to place disposable diapers in the dish where the water goes, then place the water in it.  The filling in the diaper holds the water in and you won't have to water as much.

Carrie

False
    Attitudes are contagious; is yours worth catching? Anybody can be good without God, but nobody can be saved without Jesus.
  • Re: Keeping your Live Christmas Tree Watered

alot2luv

I have read that the best way to keep your Christmas tree watered is to place disposable diapers in the dish where the water goes, then place the water in it.  The filling in the diaper holds the water in and you won't have to water as much.

Carrie

What a clever Idea, Carrie! 

I'll have to give that a try.  Thanks for the timely tip!  

FWIW, we use the mini cans of Sprite instead of water for the Live Christmas Tree.  It does an amazing job!  I'm pretty sure someone here in the Kitchen suggested that last Christmas and it REALLY works. Yes

Krissy~~~    

False

That does seem like it would work, not so pretty but a good ideal.

False

I'll be the first here to say that it doesn't make sense. The point of keeping water in the stand is so that the tree can drink it up and not dry out. How does that happen if the water is being held in diapers instead of in the tree? Water that should be going to the tree instead is prevented from doing so because it's been absorbed by the diapers. If anything, it sounds like that should make you have to water even more.

What am I missing here???

False
        I believe in God. Only I spell it N-a-t-u-r-e. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

I must be having a dumb day because I don't quite understand this.  If you pour in a half gallon of water whether straight into bowl or into a bowl with a diaper, it's still a half gallon of water.  How does the diaper help in not watering as much?  Is there less evaporation? 

I need more coffee......

False
    Click for San Dimas, California Forecast

guess we were replying at the same time Martha.  I'm not understanding this either --- glad it's not just me ;o)
    False
    Click for San Dimas, California Forecast

SpicyChicken_SoCal

guess we were replying at the same time Martha.  I'm not understanding this either --- glad it's not just me ;o)

I tried googling this and nothing came up.

I did run across a gardening site in which someone talked about using the lining of disposable diapers when planting bare-root trees. I can see that, because it would keep some moisture around the roots (maybe), but the stump of a Christmas tree is a completely different concept. It needs a good long drink, not just dampness around the base.

False

There may be less evaporation because the plastic portion of the diaper keeps the water away from air. The best way to water you tree is to keep it in the ground, according to the greenies. Gee, saving the planet takes a lot of fun out of our customs. If we can't enjoy these, do we really wanna save the planet?

False
    Ann

2RATTY

There may be less evaporation because the plastic portion of the diaper keeps the water away from air.

I thought about that, but whether the tree doesn't get the water because it evaporates or because the diaper has gotten it instead is the same thing. And a container of water evaporates very slowly anyway. A tree will drink what water it can get long before it could evaporate.

Probably the best tips are to give the stump a fresh cut right before putting it in the stand and keep the tree away from heat.

False

Ya think the tree can suck the water out of the diaper? MaybeConfused

False

rrpinin

Ya think the tree can suck the water out of the diaper? MaybeConfused

I doubt it. Especially without roots. How's it going to reach the diaper? And if you put in one gallon of water and the tree needs that, why make it harder?

The whole thing just strikes me as funny now. I think maybe whoever came up with this tip was just having a little fun.

False