Help, Please! How Does One Make Clove Studded Oranges?! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Help, Please! How Does One Make Clove Studded Oranges?!

Last post Dec 05, 2012 5:31 PM by Midge Gebrowsky . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • Help, Please! How Does One Make Clove Studded Oranges?!
    • Confused [*-)]

I have the Oranges and I have the Whole Cloves. 

I'm more interested in the wonderful fragrance than the final appearance of said Oranges.  How do I get the little clove things to stay put in the rind of the Orange?  I was thinking of using a push pin.  Would that work?

TIA for your assistance!  Big Smile

Krissy~~~

False
  • Re: Help, Please! How Does One Make Clove Studded Oranges?!

All you have to do is poke them in the orange rind. They go in easily. And they smell divine!

False

Thanks for your help, GrammaPeach!  I just presumed it would be some real involved process.  Huh?

I appreciate your quick assistance! Smile

Off to stud my Oranges with some Cloves! Big Smile

False

I made these years ago and had to 'marinate' them for weeks in some powder I bought from the pharmacy (you'll have to google for the recipe).  But I did have a hard time getting the cloves in and then a hard time keeping them in.  You can use a zester on the wide side and make pretty designs then push cloves into pith.  This will only work for thick skins not thin skinned oranges.  Good luck

False
    Click for San Dimas, California Forecast
  • Agree with grammapeach

As grammapeach said, just start poking them in! Two hints: use 'regular' oranges, not the clementines, as the 'regular' oranges are stronger smelling, and are a little more 'solid' (denser) The 2nd hint: use LOTS of cloves, for a stronger, more gorgeous smell!!

donnac

False

I always just pushed the cloves in through the skin. They always stayed put for me and the fruit just dried out naturally, never any mold. You may want to wear a rubber glove. Those little cloves are sometimes very sharp on the star end. I have seen Martha do lemons also.

False

Made pomanders years and years ago...I remember needing to leave enough spacing between the cloves to allow for the shrinkage of the orange (that's what I used). It seemed like a huge amount but when the orange shrivelled, it looked like a solid ball of cloves...and it lasted and lasted and smelled soooo good. Now you got me thinking....maybe I'll try my hand at a few of them again. Have the oranges, but not nearly enough cloves.

BW...this site might help you.

http://www.pioneerthinking.com/pomanders.html

False

with very very very sore fingers when you are done...

made them several times I FINALLY I started using a needle to poke a hole then poke the clove in....still had sore fingers...but it was easier....

False

It's not how you start, it's how you end....so end strong!!

Walk yourself strong!!

shelleyjCA2AZ
    I started using a needle to poke a hole then poke the clove in

I used to use a knitting needle...but then perhaps a nail would do...those clove stems are quite thick and break easily...and as the orange dries it will secure the colves.

False

Ah, sweet memories.  I remember the first place I saw those.  It was at the Custis-Lee Mansion in Arlington National Cemetary.  It was just before Christmas and I was probably 6 or 7.  The mansion (once owned by Martha Washington's famly and later by Robert E. Lee) was decorated so beautifully, and all with natural things.  Real evergreen boughs woven around the banisters, garland made of shaved wood or maybe bark.

And the oranges, studded with cloves and sometimes beads.

So that's my contribution to this thread:  The cloves provide aroma, of course, and also serve as a preservative for the orange, but they're not very pretty.  To make a more ornamental version, along with the cloves stick in some pins (straight pins or hatpins) with glass beads threaded onto them.

False

So what?  Big deal.
    --Closing lines of Buckaroo Banzai Beyond the 8th Dimension, AND of my childhood mix tapes.

my gf's girls made them for gifts several years in a row.  i believe they also rolled them in cinnamon....hmmmmmmmmm, maybe i'll try them....next year!!!lol

False

Summer74
    Krissy -- you're attempting a craft project?!  Indifferent

Gracious Sakes, No!  Surprise

I don't think of it being a real Craft Project unless there's written instructions involved with very specific measurements.  And one must have to use a Hot Glue Gun.

If you don't use a Hot Glue Gun...it's not a craft thing.  Geeked

Thanks for all the suggestions, Folks.  Bob & I had a great deal of fun doing this last evening!

Krissy~~~   

False

I made studded oranges years ago and it seemed I used arrow root with the cinnamon.  The arrow root is a preservative.   I'm not sure where I got it.  You will need to let it stand in the mixture for a few weeks.

False