Corn starch addiction | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Corn starch addiction

Last post Dec 23, 2009 9:59 AM by Egee . 16 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 12
  • Corn starch addiction

I have heard that there are women who are addicted to cornstarch. Some eat a whole box or more each day. I believe alot of times it starts during pregnancy and is sometimes mistaken for gestational diabetes. It is apparently more common in African American women in the rural south. Has anyone heard of this, or know the reason for it? I dont know if it is a nutrirional imbalance that causes the cravings, or if you get a rush from ingesting the cornstarch. 

False
  • Re: Corn starch addiction

What????  How on earth would you eat a box of cornstarch?

False

Community Manager

Taste of Home Magazine

Feel free to contact me if you have questions or concerns with the Taste of Home website or community.

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sstetzel.toh@gmail.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

sstetzel

What????  How on earth would you eat a box of cornstarch?

WHY on earth would you??????  HUNGRY?????

False

Old age ain't no place for sissies . -Bette Davis-

This is actually a disease called Pica, where your body craves eating non-food items such as cornstarch, soil, clay, etc.  They are not sure why certain people have these cravings, some suspect it could be a chemical imbalance, a lack of certain nutrients, etc.
    False

signature 

My "Babies" are growing up!!!!

After doing more research, I saw that a lot of women who are addicted to cornstarch seem to be anemic. I am not sure what the connection is, but it say iron deficiency can lead to pica. Oh, I have never tried it myself, but I saw that some eat is straight from the box and some mix it with water into a paste. 

False

Kinda seems like if one was to eat that much cornstarch,  they might tend to get "bound-up".  You know when you are trying to mix cornstarch up and at first it makes chunks before it makes a smooth paste? What if a person didn't drink enough water with it? Oh My, THAT could be asking for trouble!

False

"Practice random acts of kindness"

Corn starch is a "non food item"?

False

I don't often get asked to define irony, but when I do, I always say,

"Why, yes.  Yes, I AM a Field Editor for Taste of Home."

UGHHH...talk about a blog... Yikes!!!

False

budz mom

Kinda seems like if one was to eat that much cornstarch,  they might tend to get "bound-up".  You know when you are trying to mix cornstarch up and at first it makes chunks before it makes a smooth paste? What if a person didn't drink enough water with it? Oh My, THAT could be asking for trouble!

I read a note from one woman online who said she ate cornstarch and that she was irregular from it.

False

I was told once that I was wierd and didnt think like a normal person because of my curiousity about things I hear about, such as this cornstarch addiction thing. I dont know, to me curiousity is a normal thing!

False

Actually, when I was teaching in an inner city urban high school, it wasn't uncommon for the pregnant teens to eat LAUNDRY starch.  Guess it's something along the same lines.  Now one would think THAT would cause a real problem!

False

Callie123

Actually, when I was teaching in an inner city urban high school, it wasn't uncommon for the pregnant teens to eat LAUNDRY starch.  Guess it's something along the same lines.  Now one would think THAT would cause a real problem!

I saw that too! Many women said that their moms or other female relatives ate laundry starch and they ended up eating cornstarch. I am also wondering why it is seen predominantly in African American women. You would think that women of all races would have the same nutritional imbalances that can cause this addiction. Maybe it is the nutirional imbalance part COMBINED with environmental influences (seeing older female relatives eating the starch as well)

False

I've known about Pica for years...believe a lot of people also crave red clay...makes cornstarch, out of the box, sound more appealing than eating dirt but it's not terribly unusual - although I don't know the exact percentage of people suffering from it.

False

I live in Kaolin country (rural south).  Kaolin is white clay and used in medications, china, paint, paper and many other things.  Kaolin is a white, smooth clay. It is not 'gritty', in fact when gets wet it (and red clay) are very slick/slippery.  Dry Laundry starch is 'chalky' and that is what women ate years ago.  Around here I still sometimes see African American people digging for chunks of 'chalk' (kaolin) along the edges of the road. 

Kaolin is mined here.  Years ago it was moved from the 'pits' to the mining plant via trucks or narrow gage trains so a lot of pieces/chunks would fall beside the road or tracks and was easy to get to and 'free'.  It is now liquidfied (slurry) and piped to the processing plant.

I always heard they craved it because of Pica and it was mostly the African American people I saw eating it or laundry starch. Also helps nausea. Google 'kaolin', it contains many minerals.

False

Confused

False