A QUESTION ABOUT BEANS | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

A QUESTION ABOUT BEANS

Last post Dec 29, 2009 7:30 PM by jrcook . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • A QUESTION ABOUT BEANS

I posted earlier about ham and bean soup.  What does it mean when it says to sort through the beans?  I always rinse the beans but I do not know what it means to sort through them.  Help again! Thanks.

Colleen
    False
  • Re: A QUESTION ABOUT BEANS

I thought it meant to look to make sure to remove any bad ones and to make sure there are no foreign objects (like small stones) in the beans.

False
    On occasion, I've found small rocks in large bags of beans.
    False
    "The modern conservative...is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy. That is the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness." John Kenneth Galbraith

treehuggin

I thought it meant to look to make sure to remove any bad ones and to make sure there are no foreign objects (like small stones) in the beans.

Yes

False

Sometimes you will find a rock in those beans. I remember my Grandmother telling me that years ago.

False

catmint

Dried beans, being a natural product, often have debris...like small stones etc. I put them a colander and toss. Actually I find few stones at this point. However, after I soak them overnight. I skim all loose skins that float to the top and then I again drain them in a colander and pick through those beans that did not puff up. There are always a few and these will not soften during the cooking process.

Hope this helps.

False

Sometimes there are small rocks or dirt in the beans.  I also remove the ones that look damaged or discolored.

False

I knew to pick through them for smal stones or bad beans but did not know to pick therough them a second time for ones that  don't puff up--Thanks for the tip. Socks!! I will do that after this---I have a couple big ol meaty ham shanks in the freezer- waiting  for a cold day!!

False

"Practice random acts of kindness"

YW - ham and bean soup weather here in NE PA

False

Not to but in, but that means some times there are like rotten beans and they are black and feel like rocks.  

False
    Anna Mae

Big Smile

False
    Anna Mae