How long does a baked ham keep? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How long does a baked ham keep?

Last post Dec 20, 2013 12:52 AM by tawny77 . 15 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 12
  • How long does a baked ham keep?

I was just cutting up my leftover spiral ham for the dogs and I wonder how long would it have been safe to eat it? It still looked and smelled good but I don't like to eat things after three days in fridge but I know other people that do. What do you think?

False
  • Re: How long does a baked ham keep?

Bacon will keep for weeks in the fridge, and while I wouldn't trust a ham more than a week, it lasts longer than other meats because it's been smoked.

False

Ivey has a tight grip on reality and is slowly choking the crap out of it!

Veteran: -noun; someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable 'To My Country' for an amount "up to and including my life."

Advice to new nurses: Air goes in and out. Blood goes round and round. Anything else is a bad thing.

If you enjoy your freedoms, thank a soldier/sailor!

I just used up the last of the ham and it had been in the fridge for a week.  I'm usually leary about keeping leftovers for more than a couple of days, but I figured the ham is salted and cured so it should be okay for a few additional days.  Color, smell, and texture will tell you alot.

False

My butcher told me 5-7 days as long as its kept covered or sealed.  

My neighbor sent me this website:  http://www.stilltasty.com/

False
    Witty Whitney!
    Three days for a cooked ham in the refrigerator and you wonder if it is fit to eat and yet you are feeding said pork product to your dogs? Whats wrong with this picture? Your ham is perfectly alright for you to eat. Hams are usually preperserved before you even buy them and than cook them and will last up to a week to 10days if properly wrapped and stored. You can also always freeze the left overs. Now that I think of it Spiral hams usually 3 to 5 days and it is still good but you still could have frozen the leftovers.
    False

HAM STORAGE CHART

NOTE: Freezer storage is for quality only. Frozen hams remain safe indefinitely.

Type of Ham Refrigerate Freeze
    Fresh (uncured) Ham, uncooked 3 to 5 days 6 months
    Fresh (uncured) Ham, cooked 3 to 4 days 3 to 4 months
    Cured Ham, cook-before-eating; uncooked 5 to 7 days or “use-by” date* 3 to 4 months
    Cured Ham, cook-before-eating; after consumer cooks it 3 to 5 days 1 to 2 months
    Cooked Ham, vacuum sealed at plant, undated; unopened 2 weeks 1 to 2 months
    Cooked Ham, vacuum sealed at plant, dated; unopened “Use- by” date* 1 to 2 months
    Cooked Ham, vacuum sealed at plant, undated or dated; opened 3 to 5 days 1 to 2 months
    Cooked Ham, whole, store wrapped 7 days 1 to 2 months
    Cooked Ham, half, store wrapped 3 to 5 days 1 to 2 months
    Cooked Ham, slices, store wrapped 3 to 5 days 1 to 2 months
    Spiral-cut hams and leftovers from consumer-cooked hams 3 to 5 days 1 to 2 months
    **Country Ham, uncooked, cut 2 to 3 months 1 month
    Country Ham, cooked 7 days 1 month
    Canned Ham, labeled "Keep Refrigerated," unopened 6 to 9 months Do not freeze
    Canned Ham, labeled "Keep Refrigerated," opened 7 days 1 to 2 months
    ***Canned Ham, shelf stable, opened 3 to 4 days 1 to 2 months
    Lunch Meat Ham, sealed at plant, unopened 2 weeks or “use-by” date* 1 to 2 months
    Lunch Meat Ham, sealed at plant, after opening 3 to 5 days 1 to 2 months
    Lunch Meat Ham, sliced in store 3 to 5 days 1 to 2 months
    Prosciutto, Parma or Serrano Ham, dry Italian or Spanish type, cut 2 to 3 months 1 month

*Company determines its "use-by" date and stands by it.

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

purseglove_MA_F_67
    Three days for a cooked ham in the refrigerator and you wonder if it is fit to eat and yet you are feeding said pork product to your dogs? Whats wrong with this picture?

I don't think she meant it the way you took it. I think she was cutting up the ham for her dogs and started thinking about it, not that she thought it wasn't good anymore so she fed it to the dogs.

False

Ivey has a tight grip on reality and is slowly choking the crap out of it!

Veteran: -noun; someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable 'To My Country' for an amount "up to and including my life."

Advice to new nurses: Air goes in and out. Blood goes round and round. Anything else is a bad thing.

If you enjoy your freedoms, thank a soldier/sailor!

I know, it just struck me odd at the moment.
    False

Putting the 'is it safe to eat' aside, I would think ham would be too salty for your dog.   They do not need all that salt and it's probably bad for them.

False

I was giving it to the dogs, in small amounts, because I was tired of it after several meals. I don't think the salt involved was enough to hurt them, they need salt in their diet the same as people.

Thanks for everyone who was helpful. The information provided reinforced what I thought.  I don't freeze ham because I don't think it tastes good after thawing.  I'm not much of a ham eater with the exception of Christmas and sometimes Thanksgiving. My dogs look on it as a treat from their usual food.  I also gave some to some abandoned dogs that live up the road in a field. I doubt they objected to the salt content.

False

cats and dogs are NOT supposed to eat anything salted, or corned...ham is a nono!!!

False

But you have to wonder how long these hams are kept in the grocery store before selling them.

False

My vet told me that it is dangerous to feed pork to dogs - I think it is too much sodium for one and can dehydrate them.

False

I have a spiral ham never opened in my freezer.  It is dated sell by 1/2013. Should i just discard it or

is it safe to use?

False

If it's been frozen it should be fine.

True

Online Community / Field Editor Manager

Feel free to reach out to me anytime!

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sue.stetzel@RD.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile