Can I freeze Velveeta Cheese? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Can I freeze Velveeta Cheese?

Last post Mar 28, 2014 4:04 AM by DJBRUCEK . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • Can I freeze Velveeta Cheese?

I bought a 2# box of it and I can not find way's to use it up quick enough. You can only eat so much even though I love cheese. Just wondering what it would be like after the freeze.

False
  • Re: Can I freeze Velveeta Cheese?

I just thawed some American cheese.  It was fine--completely unchanged from its pre-freezing state.

False

A lot of this is folk memories and cultural hangovers.

I would think you'd be able to. Velveeta is nuclear stuff. (And I totally love it!!!)
    False

I did a quick search on the web and all responses that I found discouraged it.  I have never tried to do so, but I do successfull freeze other cheeses all of the time, such as cheddar, mozzarella, etc.  

I also did a search on TOH and found that this has been asked before, back in 2007.

Here is the discussion (and link) from that time where the poster, retteacher, posted a response from the Kraft website , where they discouraged freezing Velveeta. 

http://community.tasteofhome.com/forums/p/381136/4622305.aspx#4622305

retteacher

Joined on 05-17-2005

Posts 4,480

RE: Can I freeze Velveeta Cheese and use my food saver too?

Reply Favorites Contact

From Kraft website:

Can VELVEETA Pasteurized Process Cheese Product be frozen? We do not recommend that you freeze VELVEETA Pasteurized Process Cheese Product. Freezing VELVEETA Pasteurized Process Cheese Product may cause changes in the texture of the cheese. Crystals may form within the product which may make it grainy, or its texture to become mushy. Freezing can also break down the ingredients used to make the cheese. This may cause water to form on the surface of the product. Freezing can also negatively impact the flavor.

False

With mirth and laughter let old wrinkles come...Shakespeare

The day the LORD created hope was probably the same day that HE created Spring...Bern Williams

Click for Lexington, Kentucky Forecast

OK thanks for the tips. After thinking it over I don't think I will freeze it. It is such a soft cheese I do think it will change the content some what. Maybe just give some to my DD.

False

Velveeta keeps a long time in the frig, so you won't need to worry about them but here is some suggestions to use it up;

Make an appetizer with cheese, jimmy dean sauage, velveeta and spread on rye toats squares.

grilled cheese sandwiches

scalloped potatoes made with chunk of it and baked in the oven

make a cheese sauce to go over vegetables

when serving hor' d' veures cut squares and put toothpicks in them

Do a cheese fondue with velveeta, using vegies, chunks of bread, bread sticks , etc., for dipping.

Also check thier website for ideas;http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/main.aspx

google "velveeta cheese recipes"

Now I am getting hungry for a grilled cheese sandwich with jam on it

False

You can freeze REAL cheese but it will crumble after it thaws out.

Velveta is NOT cheese but considered a "cheese`food"

I have never used it and have no idea whether yo can freeze it or not. It must be something like the "single" slices they sell, they are also not real cheese.

False

great reply!! you made me laugh out loud;  thank you..

False