Clean the Snow Off the Top of Your Car | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Clean the Snow Off the Top of Your Car

Last post Feb 09, 2010 8:36 PM by frenchpress . 31 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 2 of 3 (32 items) 123
  • Re: Clean the Snow Off the Top of Your Car

ShellKs

The top of my car is the last thing I worry about! I clean ALL the windows and the hood. Get over it or *** at those people that only chip a bit away on the front window.

WOW!!! Hmm 

Sounds like something a self centered student would say from the high school
    False
    License

But wait until morning!

I have very fond memories of one night when I was a child.  Eight inches of snow had fallen in a very short time.  After dinner, my sisters and I went out, met up with some neighborhood friends, and spent hours sneaking up people's driveways and sliding down the roofs of their cars.

Naughty?  Oh yeah, but great fun too.

False

A lot of this is folk memories and cultural hangovers.

Does anyone know of a trick to remove the ice off the roof? A lot of times we get freezing rain first and then snow...so there is a layer of ice there that you can't scrape off and I'm sure I'd be shot from throwing salt on top of the car. Snow is relatively easy to remove but what about that layer of ice? Any suggestions?

False

I have a very difficult time deciphering the line between boredom and hunger.

ScottsGrace

Does anyone know of a trick to remove the ice off the roof? A lot of times we get freezing rain first and then snow...so there is a layer of ice there that you can't scrape off and I'm sure I'd be shot from throwing salt on top of the car. Snow is relatively easy to remove but what about that layer of ice? Any suggestions?

Run the car with the heater going full blast so the roof will get slightly warm from the inside and maybe it will just slide off???

I know on the rare occassion we've had ice on the windscreen, thats what I do instead of scraping!

False

SG, I wonder if they make something like a heating pad, which you could plug in to the lighter-jack.

I suggested that to my husband--he thinks they draw too much power, but I still think it would work, as long as the car was running so the battery didn't get drained.

False

A lot of this is folk memories and cultural hangovers.

I clean off as much as I can reach! 

My DH is awful!  He's the guy that cleans off just a few inches on the windshield.  Makes me insane.  Doesn't matter how much I "gently remind" him cause I'm kind like that Wink he still won't take the time to do it.

False

Community Manager

Taste of Home Magazine

Feel free to contact me if you have questions or concerns with the Taste of Home website or community.

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sstetzel.toh@gmail.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

Limey, that's what usually happens after it has run for a while but I'm usually driving down the highway when it happens. It always scares the liver out of me when it happens because it sounds like the roof is being ripped off. It would be nice if there was a preventative measure we could take...if you don't have a garage or car cover that is.Wink

False

OK - then how about covering the roof with a blanket and simply pulling the blanket off before driving away.  I have a small car - a Mini Cooper - so even a small blanket would be ample!!  I don't have that problem any more anyway as it is always in the garage when not being driven.

When I suggested running the car - I meant in your driveway or parking space and then slide the ice off when it has sufficiently melted to be able to do so. 

False

I KNOW!!!!!Idea

A blanket, covered by a sheet of plastic.   The plastic would keep the blanket dry and prevent it from stickling to the surface of the roof and should be very easy to just pull off.

False
    rottensocks

I clean the snow off the top of my vehicle now...I would like to say it is out of consideration of my fellow drivers, but to be honest, in times past, I used to clean the windows so I could see and off I went...until...one day I had to brake hard at a red light and all the stuff on the roof slid forward onto the windshield. Sometimes life's lessons are best learned first-hand. And that is a pity.

Had the same thing happen to me. Normally I clear the snow entirely off but GS did it for me this time and did not clear the roof snow. Driving in heavy,fast traffic,still snowing and had to stop hard. Snow came crashing down and tore off wiper. Driving blind until I could pull off road and fix wiper enough to get me to the garage. Scary situation!
    False

Limey_SE_Texas
    When I suggested running the car - I meant in your driveway or parking space and then slide the ice off when it has sufficiently melted to be able to do so. 

Yeh, that's what I figured you meant...but I think that would run our tank out of gas a lot quicker...but the blanket with plastic is a good idea so the plastic and ice doesn't scratch the roof. You would just have to be clever if you were caught out in the snow and ice while driving home...car is already wet so the blanket would get wet...I guess there's no sure-fire way other than preheating and a soft broom. 

False

It is the law in Pennsylvania. Unfortunately I am not tall enough to clean off the top of my car and I don't carry a ladder in the SUV.

False

Living in the Laurel Highlands of PA, we get lots of snow.  I always clean off my truck, starting with the roof, truck cap and work my way down the windows, hood and sides.  I cannot stand it when people don't clean off their vehicles.   I keep a soft brush with a telescoping handle in my truck at all times behind the seat.  That way, no matter where I am, I can clean off the snow.

False

Yes, please people.  Clean off your vehicles.  Thank you!

False

moly
    It is the law in Pennsylvania

I am 5ft and drive a Jeep Liberty so keep a broom handy for clearing off the snow...does it pretty fast too.

It may be the law in PA to clean snow off your vehicle, but I know this is news to some of my neighbors who drive with just their windshield's cleared.

False