Evaporated milk in scalloped potatoes? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Evaporated milk in scalloped potatoes?

Last post Feb 14, 2010 8:39 PM by Pegg_KS . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • Evaporated milk in scalloped potatoes?

I bought cans of evaporated milk (I thought I was getting condensed, duh!) and I want to make scalloped potatoes for Valentine's day tomorrow.  I was wondering if you have tried it and is it good.  I'm thinking it would be similar to a canned cream soup which I have used before and it was good. 

Edit to say, I wasn't planning on using condensed milk on the taters but wanted to get rid of some cans of evap that I have.  Big Smile

False
  • Re: Evaporated milk in scalloped potatoes?

I always have canned milk on hand and have used it in all kinds of recipes when I don't have fresh milk.  I usually dilute it, 1/2 water 1/2 canned milk.

False

Yeah, I'd dilute it too.  I have recipes for scalloped pots that call for half & half and one for heavy cream, it's just the exact flavor of canned milk  Sad that I would suggest diluting it.

False

DO NOT REGRET GROWING OLDER.

IT'S A PRIVILEGE DENIED TO MANY.

Far better than regular milk in  this type of recipe in my opinion- Many other great reviews too- I do not (and would definitely not)  dilute Evaporated milk- Much creamier IMO- Very TNT ~A

http://community.tasteofhome.com/forums/p/713269/6091383.aspx

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

I grew up using evaporated milk for things like mashes potatoes and as a creamer for coffee. We never diluted it. If I have a can open I'll use it in mashed potatos full strength; it tastes richer.

False

Ivey has a tight grip on reality and is slowly choking the crap out of it!

Veteran: -noun; someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable 'To My Country' for an amount "up to and including my life."

Advice to new nurses: Air goes in and out. Blood goes round and round. Anything else is a bad thing.

If you enjoy your freedoms, thank a soldier/sailor!

I have a recipe I use all the time for crock pot scalloped potatoes that uses evaporated milk. You just layer 1/2 of the potatoes, sliced onions, salt, pepper, sprinkle flour. Repeat for second layer. Pour can of milk over all.

False
    I make my scalloped potatoes just like Freddie Minnesota.  I won't make it any other way.
    False

Everything is okay in the end, if it's not okay, then it's not the end.

freddie_Minnesota

I have a recipe I use all the time for crock pot scalloped potatoes that uses evaporated milk. You just layer 1/2 of the potatoes, sliced onions, salt, pepper, sprinkle flour. Repeat for second layer. Pour can of milk over all.

Same here

False
    If the essence of my being has caused a smile to have appeared upon your face or a touch of joy within your heart, then in living I have made my mark.

Scheidgirl___OREGON

freddie_Minnesota

Same here

Same here

False

_Dodycooks
    I want to make scalloped potatoes for Valentine's day

Let me know if you have any leftovers, Dody!  Smile

False

I have always used evaporated milk in my scalloped potatoes for at least 25 yrs and would never use anything else!  If I decide to make these potatoes and don't have evaporated milk, I wait till he get more! Richer and no, I don't dilute it.

pegg

False

pegg