Fried mashed potato patties | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Fried mashed potato patties

Last post Apr 08, 2010 11:58 PM by GrandmaK_54_Illinois . 15 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 12
  • Fried mashed potato patties
    • Super Angry [8o|]

I just CAN NOT make mashed potato patties!  I have looked at a lot of recipes on line (google).  Have looked in cookbooks. 

When I have leftover mashed potatoes, I want to use them up the next day and make patties out of them.  THEY ALWAYS FALL APART.  I've added egg, extra flour, fried in butter, fried in olive oil and even fried in veg oil.  Nothing works.  What's the trick?

I need a recipe that actually comes out.  I also like to add onion and garlic.

False

Everything is okay in the end, if it's not okay, then it's not the end.

• Re: Fried mashed potato patties

I just add milk, a bit of flour, and an egg, and make the batter maybe just a bit thicker than pancake batter. Don't use much oil in the pan at all, just kind of swipe the bottom with an oiled paper towel. Again, same as for regular pancakes. Sometimes I have a flop, but not often.

False

Love fried potato patties for breakfast. I usually mix the mashed potatoes with an egg and some shredded cheddar cheese. I drop the formed patties in flour before putting them in the frying pan...I use a non-stick type pan and if I have it handy a little bacon fat in the pan, otherwise butter...heat a little lower at which I cook pancakes. Only turn them once.

False

It helps if the potatoes when mashed are more on the dry side and not too mushy.  I add an egg and chopped green onions.  I form the patties in my hand and then pat flour onto each side and fry them in butter over medium heat.  Do not attempt to turn them so soon...let them go until they are really brown and then turn.  A nonstick skillet is a must!  Good luck.  If mine try to break apart I  just pat them back together with my spatula.

Molly

False

I have better luck grating cold baked potatoes.  Then I add egg, flour, salt, pepper and a little milk to make a thick "ploppy" pancake.  I grill it with a little oil, turn once.  I like to serve it with applesauce. 
    False

I learned to let it sit and fry till it gets a crust on the bottom before turning it. Not too much oil. Not too high heat.

False

I'm not psycho.....I just like psychotic things.

Adria's World

I don't like anything added to the potatoes...no flour, no egg.  As Adria said, I also just make sure it gets a nice brown crust before turning....yum!  I usually fry in a little butter...making sure the butter doesn't burn.  And, also, as someone said, if your mashed potatoes were a bit mushy or thin, they don't make good poato cakes.  Actually, sometimes they may fall apart a bit when turning, but I love them however they come out....as long as they are well browned.

False

I follow a waffle recipe and add part of the recipe mixture to the mash potatoes and stir it up to where you still see the mash potatoes thick, then fry them or I bake them, they will stay more firm. I also have added dry bisquick to the mash potato to make potato cakes. I like to sometimes add bacon bits, or onions to the mixture for flavor. 

False

I think we're talking about 2 different things here.  Some are describing potato pancakes, it seems (making a batter with egg, flour, etc), and some are describing potato cakes--fried mashed potatoes.

I make potato cakes.  Just moderately firm mashed potatoes (you could add onion/cheese/herbs), dredged in flour, cooked over moderately high heat, in a combo of safflower oil and butter.  If you use a mixture of oil an butter, you get the flavor of the butter, with the higher smoking point of the oil--the best of both worlds.  The potato cakes need to be well-cooked on one side before you attempt to turn them, and then you have to just go for it confidently.  Swipe and flip--try to do it tentatively, and you will have problems.

False

DH makes great mashed potato pancakes.  His secret is dredging the patties in flour and then frying over low heat until really browned.

False

Some days, I can literally see the testosterone floating in the air around here. 

Go to allrecipes.com & type in recipe #9054 - "Leftover Mashed Potato Pancakes".  I had a ton of mashed potatoes...really needed to use 'em up.

I used Bisquick instead of flour, used 2 eggs, and tossed in whatever seasonings sounded good.

I found I needed to add more Bisquick to the mix...it was too runny for my taste.  It's a "seat of the pants" recipe.  If the batter is too thin...more Bisquick/flour.  Or add more of the mashed potatoes.  Definitely use 2 eggs.  Add onions/chives/garlic etc.  The batter should not be too runny...plop a scoopful on your griddle...it shouldn't spread out...you should need to help it thin out with some pressure.  Make sure the bottom is well browned before flipping!  I've found if the batter spreads out on it's own...it's too thin.  For the perfect consistancy, I need to spread it out a little.

I make sure the bottoms are close, but not burned before I turn them.  This is the best recipe...I no longer shred whole potatoes for pancakes...my family loves these!

cathy

False

Oh, I forgot to add...I fry mine on an electric griddle...just brush some oil on it.  I don't fry them in a skillet.  Don't need to fry them in a lot of oil.  Just thin 'em out!

Cathy

False

I vote with Adria and mountainmama......don't add ANYTHING and fry in butter in teflon pan.  Wait til crust forms and carefully flip over.  Maybe a little additional s & p.  No need to make a big deal out of using leftovers.

False

Marilyn

When I make potato patties, I use real mashed potatoes OR potato buds. I always add an egg, to help bind it together. Using either real mashed potatoes, or the instant type, leave the potatoes rather thic, and make a thin patty in your hand, just as if you were making a hamburger patty.. Use just a little bit of oil, just enough to coat the skillet well, and fry to a golden brown on each side, turn only once. The first couple of times I tried to make the fried patties, I used too much oil, and it caused the patty to fall apart.

False
    Michael51