I have a question about the new health care, kids till 26 years old... | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

I have a question about the new health care, kids till 26 years old...

Last post May 27, 2010 9:42 PM by JHall16 . 14 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
  • I have a question about the new health care, kids till 26 years old...

President Obama just said on TV, that starting this year, kids can stay on their parents insurance till they are 26 years old. Does that mean, even if they are not a student? DD is 25, and will be graduating in May. I think they have been paying her Drs. and Dentist visits now (i was thinking it was 25 on our insurance), but, I am wondering if it will continue after she graduates? Anyone know?

False

catmint

• Re: I have a question about the new health care, kids till 26 years old...

I have a question.  Does this new healthcare plan also cover dentist and optomitrists? (sorry for the spelling errors)  What about prescriptions?  Also, when does this come into effect?  Today?  Can you now go to the Dr and not worry about paying a bill at the end?  I feel I'm really in the dark.  In Canada our healthcare coveres some prescriptions and all hospital, Dr fees.  But it does not include eyes and teeth unless your income is low.  If your income is lower then (around) $22,000 then it includes all prescriptions.  And your children also have eyes and teeth covered(but not adults)  It includes everything for kids, but puts some limits on adults.  So I'm just wondering if this is what the US is doing, or is it perhaps very different?

False

Yes, Catmint, I believe that is the case.

This did not come from an official government site, but ...

You can stay on your parents’ health insurance until age 26
    To all you college students out there, yes this means what it says. No longer will you be booted off of  your parents’ insurance fresh out of college.  You have a few years of breathing/going-to-every-single-doctor-you-can-think-of-before-you-gotta-start-paying-for-this-stuff-yourself room. And this is especially helpful to all of us who may end up jobless post graduation in this declining economy.

From http://collegecandy.com/2010/03/22/health-care-bill-what-does-it-mean-for-us/

False

So what?  Big deal.
    --Closing lines of Buckaroo Banzai Beyond the 8th Dimension, AND of my childhood mix tapes.

I can tell you that my insurance policy changed a few months ago allowing my children to stay on my policy until they were 26, provided they were unmarried. They did not have to be full time students or even live under my roof.

True

Online Community / Field Editor Manager

Feel free to reach out to me anytime!

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sue.stetzel@RD.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

Char, most US health insurance plans include prescription benefits and eye exams, but not glasses or contact, and nothing dental except restorative surgery (such as jaw repair after an accident).

Most plans offer some kind of add-on (for additional money, and not, I think, covered by the new law) for dental and vision care.

False

So what?  Big deal.
    --Closing lines of Buckaroo Banzai Beyond the 8th Dimension, AND of my childhood mix tapes.

You probably should call the insurance company to see when they will implement this policy.

False

LF, that is terrific! Thanks. I sure hope so. She just got back on some anxiety medicine, and I was worried how expensive that will be without coverage.  She should be getting to go to work, though, sometime in the summer. I think she wants a couple months break, though.

False

catmint

Lady Fingers

Char, most US health insurance plans include prescription benefits and eye exams, but not glasses or contact, and nothing dental except restorative surgery (such as jaw repair after an accident).

Most plans offer some kind of add-on (for additional money, and not, I think, covered by the new law) for dental and vision care.

Any health policy I've ever had carried a prescription & eye rider, extra to the policy.  Dental coverage is an entirely seperate policy.  It becomes a very fine line when there's an accident with damage to the mouth.

True

Online Community / Field Editor Manager

Feel free to reach out to me anytime!

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sue.stetzel@RD.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

char3bc
    Also, when does this come into effect?  Today?  Can you now go to the Dr and not worry about paying a bill at the end?

Nothing moves that fast in the USA. lol

The president is signing the actual law today. The bill will include deadlines for the different rules to apply.

False

I read that back when Canada got their government healthcare that people were scared too.  But not like the US.  Now we have internet, we have instant access to ANYTHING.  It's so easy to spread scary lies and so easy to twist stories.  Nowadays, even a picture isn't to be trusted.  Last fall, people, companies who were against the healthcare plan did a major protest.  They even got Canadians to come over and tell people how horrible it is in Canada, that people die waiting for normal procedures, and can't see their doctors, and how they wish they could have medical like the US.  But it showed such a false picture.  Over 80% Canadians are happy with our healthplan

False

Do we still get insurance through work?  How will this effect medicare?

False

We will have the same problem too. DD is full time student next yr. she graduates and she can stay with our health plan but considered at that time an adult. We are now paying $400 a month 2 adults & 1 student with dental. Can't imagine how much that will go up. DH says get DD a cheap heathcare without dental til she finds a full job with benefits. The healthcare plan won't take affect for a few yrs and we need to address this next yr. My brother had the same thing and got cheap healthcare til they found a job with benefits. Figure they are in their early 20's and taking the chance they are healthy. Can't imagine 3 adults on DH's care, $400 a month is expensive enough. Found out the day they graduate college student health care is gone. Every year we have to report full time student.

False
    I've heard personal stories from people that have said the folks from Canada took care of them the best.
    False

Click for Chama, New Mexico Forecast

I think no matter what the "Federal Law" says, it translates itself differently in each state and each county. Those of us that don't know the law are screwed. We are generally the population that does not break the law. I cashed in on my policy that my parents had for insurance not knowing what the heck it meant. That was a long time ago. $200.00 in my pocket to pay my car insurance? I haven't read that big Healthcare Bill. Kind of funny that I hear to this very day that if you have the right last name...you can go places.
    False

Click for Chama, New Mexico Forecast

the differance about american and canadian health care is that alot of americans do not have health care. yeah, if you are american and have it then your basically set. but your best friend didn't he/she could be screwed if they come down with some kind of illness and don't have any way to treat it..

yes canada does have a waiting list. if you do need some kind of surgery it does sometimes take a while to get in. if it is serious though they can and most likly will move you up the list.

I know if i do get sick, ill, mono, sore throat ,ect  I will be able to go to my local clinic/hospital and be medicated and know im in good hands within hours.

every system has there own pros and cons arguements will never neutralize because there is always two sides to a story

False