What do blue bands on pigeon's legs mean? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What do blue bands on pigeon's legs mean?

Last post Jun 07, 2010 9:30 PM by Donna40_NY . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • What do blue bands on pigeon's legs mean?

I never ever have pigeons in my yard.  A few days ago one showed up.  It had a blue band on each leg.  Very friendly.  It would land on the back of my chair, stay just a foot away from me.  I was wondering what the blue bands mean.

Thank you

False

Please be kind to animals.       Trust everyone, but always cut the cards.

• Re: What do blue bands on pigeon's legs mean?

Could it be a homing pigeon with a bad sense of direction?  Someone is obviously trying to track the birds whereabouts!

False

I'd bet it's a racing or homing pigeon that got a bit confused. The bands will probably tell you where the owner is. If it's that comfortable with you, it will probably let you pick it  up and check. Get it back to the owner. Who know's, it might come back and visit every now and then. Smile

False

The band identifies the bird as a trained homing pigeon.  If they're on a long flight, they sometimes stop for a rest.  Sometimes they do get disoriented and stop to get their bearings.  When you see one hanging around, it might appreciate a bowl of water for a drink.  Don't feed it unless it stays more than a few hours.  Usually if just left alone, and not sick or injured, the bird will take off and find home on its own.

If it hangs around more than a day, get the information from the band and contact the owner.  Or, if you're not comfortable with handling the bird, contact one of the pigeon organizations you can find online.  They can help further, or send a local rep to rescue the bird and locate the owner.

They show up here fairly regularly, hang around and visit for a few hours, then continue their journey - though there have been a couple that stayed, and the local club rescued them.   I often wonder it perhaps they have decided to break out and enjoy a taste of the wild ... it's cruel to raise creatures in confinement and used for human sport!

False

"In the end we're all alone ... and no one's coming to save you."  -John Reese

It stayed over night, so I put out a cool bowl of water and I fed it.  It ate and drank, but that afternoon it was gone.  I hope he comes back.

False

Here is some info for you

http://www.pigeon.org/lostbirdinfo.htm

False

May you never forget to remember what is worth remembering, nor ever remember what is best forgotten.                                                                                         

Thank  you I am going to check that out right now.

False