John Wayne Casserole, or Real Men Eat Quiche | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

John Wayne Casserole, or Real Men Eat Quiche

Last post Jun 26, 2010 8:26 AM by Lady Fingers . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • John Wayne Casserole, or Real Men Eat Quiche

My husband remembered this from his childhood and asked me to make it.  He says it was a standard potluck item where he grew up.

It was delicious, very cheesy but light and delicate in texture.  I followed the recipe exactly, except that I used to 7 ounce cans of chiles and I omitted the tomato slices.  (My husband says, "The Duke may have liked tomato slices on it, but nobody else makes it that way.") 

There's a fake version of this, using Bisquick.  It's okay, but doughy and dense.  There are some recipes which don't call for beating the egg-whites.  I remember making one of them years ago; again, the texture suffered.

This is the real recipe, and it's well worth the few extra minutes to beat the eggwhites.

JOHN WAYNE CASSEROLE  
    2 (4 oz.) cans unseeded, chopped chilies
    1 lb. shredded Monterey Jack cheese
    1 lb. shredded Cheddar
    1 (5 oz.) can evaporated milk
    1 sliced tomato
    1 tbsp. flour
    1 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. pepper
    1 med. onion, chopped
    4 eggs, separated
    Mix 2 cheese together with chilies and put into buttered 9 x 13 inch dish. Beat egg whites until stiff. In a separate bowl mix egg yolks, milk, flour, salt, pepper and onion until blended. Gently fold in beaten egg whites and pour over cheeses. Bake 30 minutes at 325 degrees. Put tomato slice on top and bake another 15 minutes.

False

A lot of this is folk memories and cultural hangovers.

• Re: John Wayne Casserole, or Real Men Eat Quiche

Thanks Lady Fingers, DH loves casseroles!

False

♀♀ = Love

♂♂ = Love

♀♂ = Love

A strong man stands up for himself, a stronger man stands up for others. -the movie Barnyard

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived!

Click for Milwaukee, Wisconsin Forecast

Yum.... anything with cheese and chili's can't be bad!!  saving this to try!!  Thank you!

False

Old age ain't no place for sissies . -Bette Davis-

With 2 lbs. of cheese, you say it's very cheesy?  Who woulda thunk it?  LOL. 

I love green chilis.  Will want to make this soon.  Thanks for posting it!!

False

Some days, I can literally see the testosterone floating in the air around here. 

Sounds sooooo good!  Thanks for posting it.  As soon as I'm able to walk again, I WILL be making this. 

False

Well, now I'm glad I posted the recipe.  I almost didn't, because I found so many copies of it online.  But heck, maybe that's just proof of how much people like it.

I'm sure it's very high in calories and fat, but hey!  Almost no carbs, so it's on my diet. Wink

False

A lot of this is folk memories and cultural hangovers.